Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Template - My Kindle has died !

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,016 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:07 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:04 PM

My Mk 1b Kindle died on me last night, I am desolated !  The Mk 1b is the one with an on-screen keyboard but is not a touch screen so it probably didn't owe me very much !

Budget - preferably less than £UK 100

OS - indifferent

Use - mainly reading e-books, mostly Mobi format, some PDF, ability to read e-mails and play lightweight games like Sudoku would be nice but not essential

Screen size - 6 - 7 inches, an iPad for example would be too big.

This would be for home and holiday use.

One thing at a time would be sufficient.

A USB port for connection to a computer would be important.

I have taken a quick look around some reviews and the current basic Kindle does not seem to be very well received, but there is a huge range of alternatives - with a huge range of prices - and I am more than willing to listen to advice.

Chris Cosgrove

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:07 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

You can find good deals on Amazon all day long. http://www.amazon.com/Dragon-Touch-K7-Pre-installed-TabletExpress/dp/B00MQEZ92M/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1414375831&sr=8-3&keywords=quad+core+snap+dragon

#3 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:07 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

I'm using a Kindle Paperwhite at the moment... which is the current medium budget one. It is actually really awesome, I rate it.

Pros: Great surface, not heavy, paper realistic frontlit display, long battery life, works well, good text sizing and compatibility.

Cons: 0 privacy. It will tell all your reading history, book history and personal use data to Kindle&Amazon just by connecting it to the internet. Your IP address will be linked to all the pirated books that you would never consider downloading. Amazon case branding, so not necessary... so sad.

I use Calibre as a manager and refuse to buy books from Amazon on principle... So I find it works well. I don't connect mine to the internet ever. I read constantly with it and in 6 months use it has crashed only once.

This device won't play games or hook you up with anything but a book... But that's the whole point of an ebook reader right?

I give it 4 & 1/2 stars.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:26 PM

Thanks for the advice. I think it is going to come down to a Paperwhite. Not playing games etc. is not really a problem as we usually take a laptop with us if we are going to be away for any length of time, if primarily or backing photos up to.

Like you,TsVk, I think my Kindle was only connected to the internet once and that was to register it. I find them very comfortable for reading and they are invaluable if you are flying anywhere.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:52 PM

Success - and at a price within my target figure as well. Bought it in a store called Argos. Amazon were advertising £UK 109, Argos £UK 100, and I got £UK 15 worth of gift vouchers.

The quick start guide creates a record for lack of information though, a wonderful document :  this is the 'On' button, it plugs in here to charge, end of !

Chris Cosgrove

#6 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

I laughed at the paper manual too...

There is a emanual loaded on the thing too, for more information. Not that it is required really. I fiddled with mine for about 10 mins and worked it out.

You will find it is a pleasure to use. Really a great device. :thumbup2: 

I never thought an ereader could possibly be better than a paper book, I was wrong.

#7 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:53 PM

It is very similar to my previous one in operation apart from having the built in light - which I don't see me using much - and a vastly improved keyboard. Having taught myself to type with all 10 fingers and thumbs I find the typical split screen on a tablet annoying but it is far better than the one on my last Kindle. Like you, I think they are an excellent piece of kit.

It was not my weekend for things dying. A phonecall from a friend for whom I built some electronic control equipment 14 years ago - smoke had escaped from 'something' !  This turned out to be foreign object damage. That poor power transistor would not have melted if he hadn't dropped a piece of scrap metal across it. 20V at 5A, that will melt any TO220 transistor !  Haven't yet checked if he took out the rest of the board or not.

Chris Cosgrove

#8 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 03:55 PM

How are you going with your Kindle Chris? Any issues?

I'm still using mine daily, it hasn't crashed again since that first time..

#9 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:28 PM

I think they are an excellent piece of kit. And reasonably robust. Perhaps not quite what in the military we called 'squaddie-proof' but this one has been dropped at least three times and is still working perfectly well. And one of the drops was on to a reasonably hard floor.

The only criticism I might make is that the touch screen can 'wander' a bit. Tapping to change page every so often brings up the menu at the top of the screen, more an annoyance than a problem.

Chris Cosgrove

#10 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 17 August 2016 - 06:36 PM

Did you discover that if you hold down your finger on a word it brings up the dictionary definition for that word?

Very handy for reading authors that like to use a thesaurus.

#11 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 20 August 2016 - 04:36 PM

I don't think I have ever used that feature, I know it's there, I just don't read books with words of more than two syllables. I am alright writing polysyllabic words, it's just reading them !

And as for my hand writing, well that's why I use a word processor. And the shame of it is that at age 10 I won the primary school hand writing prize !

Chris Cosgrove

#12 itsaj

itsaj

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:07 PM

Posted 25 February 2017 - 08:13 PM

i would recomend the amazon fire 7 

#13 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 26 February 2017 - 06:13 PM

That's a tablet though. The blue light will mess with your brain if you're reading before sleeping.

#14 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove
  • Topic Starter

• 7,016 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:48 PM

I am happy to say my Paperwhite is still going strong even if there has been some drop off in battery capacity after nearly two and a half years. but that is to be expected.

Just over two years ago we had to replace our printer, which is networked over most of the computers in the house including my wife's. On announcing that the printer had died I was told 'If you are buying a printer, I am buying a tablet !'. She too bought a Kindle Fire which gave her a great deal of enjoyment, and still does, even though we bought her a more capable and standard Android nVidia Shield for her birthday last month.

Theoretically at least I have fallen heir to the Fire. Since I teach basic computing to mostly older people - we have a 91 year old coming to one of our groups this week to learn how to use his shiny new iPhone - having a tablet with me sometimes is useful.

But I like my Kindle Paperwhite. It may only be capable of reading books but that's all I want it to do.

Chris Cosgrove

#15 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  

Posted 27 February 2017 - 06:55 PM

My Paperwhite is still going strong after years of use also, really does what it does really well.

We've got a mob of Samsung tablets around the house that my family use. They've been great so far too... it'll be a sad day when they die but it will be exciting to be in the market for some of this new technology that is out and about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users