Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

The Fight Against Ebola (Full Length)

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,536 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:28 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:30 PM

WARNING THIS FOOTAGE CONTAINS SOME DISTRESSING IMAGES.

I saw this on TV in Australia the other day, and was shocked to say the least.  I had no idea how bad it is and it's getting worse.

These ambulance drivers, doctors and nurses are hero's in my opinion.
This is an 8 minute clip
Spend a day with Liberia's ambulance workers facing Ebola

The Fight Against Ebola (Full Length)

WARNING THIS FOOTAGE CONTAINS SOME DISTRESSING IMAGES.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 raptorman

raptorman

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Well, doesn't that sum it up?

You posted this 24 hours ago and nobody has replied. Personally, I cry when I see this. I joined this site to help improve my PC so that I could possibly play the latest 'Tomb Raider' games with full and glorious graphics. Now I know that I can't cure ebola, but that makes me think.

Damn it! I wish I was alowed to swear more. Did you know that the only reason that there is a potential cure for ebola is because of the attack on the twin towers in America? Before that, since the virus was discovered in the 70's, nobody bothered about it. After 9/11, the Americans got worried about terorists and asked the question: "What if they attack us with a virus? What's the worst?". Almost top of the list was ebola, because of its devastating mortality rate and the fact that there was no vaccine or cure. Ironically, we have to cheer Al-Qaeida for any hope at all.

This should have been treated more seriously months ago. It still hasn't got the priority that it needs and won't until it starts affecting more prosperous countries like the USA, Europe, Australia and China.

All I can say...and it isn't a lot...is that my thoughts are with the poor sods in Africa.

Marcus Canon.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,536 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

It still hasn't got the priority that it needs and won't until it starts affecting more prosperous countries like the USA, Europe, Australia and China.

Yes.

but that makes me think.

It's also why I posted it. And to try and make more people aware of the situation.

Thanks to Animal for his input and guidance on how to post this.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 October 2014 - 08:59 PM.

#4 raptorman

raptorman

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:29 PM

I haven't got the hang of this 'quote' business on the site yet. Never mind.  I suppose that as long as people like you and I are bothered, that'll have to do. My friend is also angry about this, but he has no phone, computer or e-mail. Most people in my (small) town don't care. I guess it's down to me.

Actually, I should thank you for this post, which I haven't yet...I'm not good at modern systems, tweeting like birds, twittering, etc. Facebook? What the hell's that? I think I'll make a few (doubtless futile) protests by e-mail to the UK government. Maybe they'll get sick of the e-mails and do something about it. The reason I should thank you is that I'm often not in a good place and don't act when I should. You've stirred the fire! I'm listening to 'Jar of hearts' by Christina Peri at the moment. That makes me want to act.

Who's 'Animal', by the way? I'm an ageing biker and 'Philyhy Animal Taylor' of Motorhead springs to mind!

#5 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,536 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:32 PM

Animal is one of the administrators of this site.

#6 raptorman

raptorman

• Members
  • 41 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:55 PM

Ah!

Thankks for that. It says something to me that you took the time to get the post right. Here's a warm nod to Animal, too. You're fine by me, mate! (polite and appreciative nod)

Anyway, it's 4 a.m. in the UK. I struggle to sleep but this isn't helping! I'll try and write to David Cameron (our arrogant prime minister) tomorrow.

By the way, I said I was listening to Christina Perri before. The CD is at the last song now. It's called 'Tragedy'. It is intensely Russian, emotive and ...well...what can I say?...give it a listen.

#7 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 681 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:28 AM

Posted 04 November 2014 - 01:16 PM

Just saw some potentially good news:

nlm.nih.gov > Inhaled Ebola Vaccine Protects Monkeys

MONDAY, Nov. 3, 2014 (HealthDay News) -- The quest for an effective vaccine against Ebola has moved a step closer to reality, with a new study finding an inhaled version worked well in monkeys.
In this latest study, survival was 100 percent among the monkeys who were infected with Ebola 150 days after receiving the inhaled vaccine, the Texas team said. The survival rate among animals given an injected version of the vaccine was only 50 percent.

The findings were published online Nov. 1 in the journal Molecular Pharmaceutics, and were to be presented this week in San Diego at the annual meeting of the American Association of Pharmaceutical Scientists.

According to the research team, this is the first study to show that a single dose of non-injectable vaccine for Ebola is long-lasting.

The next step in this research is to test the inhaled vaccine in people, the team said.

SOURCE: University of Texas at Austin, news release, Nov. 3, 2014

Edited by SpywareDoc, 04 November 2014 - 01:16 PM.

#8 WritingOnTheWall

WritingOnTheWall

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:11 PM

They're getting close to a vaccine. It's a shame they didn't create one before the epidemic. The current business model for the pharmaceutical industry is shameful. They don't make the medicine unless there are paying customers for it. So the poor live in misery or perish. West Africa is one of the closest things to hell on earth right now. 

Edited by WritingOnTheWall, 06 November 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• Topic Starter

• 13,536 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 12:24 AM

Band Aid 30: X Factor unveiling for Ebola charity song

The new Band Aid single has been broadcast for the first time.

A video showing performers including One Direction, Rita Ora and Ed Sheeran singing the reworked Do They Know It's Christmas? was shown on ITV's X Factor.

They were among the stars who recorded a cover of the 1984 song, to raise money to tackle Ebola, on Saturday.

The current outbreak of the deadly virus was first reported in March and has killed more than 5,000 people, almost all in West Africa.

The UK government has said VAT will not have to be paid on the single.

Organiser Bob Geldof, who was also behind the 1984 original, said he addressed the participants "like the headmaster" before they sang the chorus.

"I explained the situation in West Africa, I explained what the UN were saying, explained what we could do, and just geed them up," he said.

Speaking on X Factor to presenter Dermot O'Leary, Geldof described the new recording as a "little bit of pop history".

He said the video - which began with shots of victims of Ebola - was "harrowing and not meant for an entertainment show" but was something the X Factor audience should see.

Band Aid 30: X Factor unveiling for Ebola charity song

Please don't just download this buy it if you can it's only a few bucks at most.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users