Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Hardware failure.

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:44 PM

Ok so the other night I came home after work to a dead desktop computer =(. I have a gateway running on Windows 7 phenom II x4 945 processor 1 gb nvidia dedicated graphics and 8gb of ram 4x 2gb.

After the Windows logo appears I get a blue screen and auto restart, after which it gets stuck at the scanning drives screen. I can't start in safe mode and when I try to run system recovery/restore in the computer repair option, I get an error "cannot find the path specified".

I've tried starting my computer with no graphics card, and a different graphics card as well encountering the same issue. I think I've also tested each stick of ram individually with no difference. What is wrong with my computer ? D:

Oh and the error codes I got after disabling auto restart are 0xfffff880009a9928
0xffffffffc000003a
0x0000000000000000
There was one more code but the screen is off center so I couldn't catch all of it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:32 PM

Can I please get some assistance ? D: I'd like to know what part I need to replace or if this is even a problem with the hardware. Help please =(

#3 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:14 AM

Bump

#4 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:51 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:39 PM

Do you have the original Windows install disk or a system recovery disk?

If so, try booting to the disk (you may need to go into BIOS and change it to boot from your CD/DVD drive first).

If you can get to a command prompt, try running both chkdsk /r  and sfc /scannow.

If not able to do that, try running a Windows startup repair.

Google is my friend. Make Google your friend too.

#5 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

I don't have a disc for reporting the computer. The computer ifs supposed to be able to restore without one. I just did a restore to factory defaults several months ago, but when I tried to do it now it says cannot find the path specified. I got to command prompt and ran chkdsk and there was no problems apparently. I'm like completely at a loss here. I really don't have the money to take it to some computer repair place. If possible I'd like to find out what's wrong and buy the pieces myself. =/

#6 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:17 PM

Ok using chkdsk /r gets me this message
"The your of file system is ntfs. Cannot lock the current drive. Windows cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected. "

My HD is c:/ drive tho if that makes a difference. When I run chkdsk /c it says Windows has checked the file system and found no problems. However it says that there's only 3086 KB total disc space. My HD is 1 tb and it shouldn't be full because everything is saved on an external drive.

When I tried to run sfc /scannow it says "there is a system repair pending which requires reboot to complete. Restart Windows and run sfc again."

But I can only get to cmd prompt from computer repair options. I can't start in safe mode. My friend thinks the HD died somehow. If I went to buy a new hd how could I start the computer with no Windows disc ? D: I feel defeated =(

#7 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:02 PM

On the Windows Seven forum, one person was able to fix their system typing the following at the command prompt:  chkdsk /r /x

Please give it a try before we attempt anything else.

Edited by Torvald, 27 October 2014 - 02:03 PM.

#8 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:11 PM

Same response as before. Cannot run disk checking on this volume because it is write protected.

#9 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:38 PM

Are you able to create a Windows 7 System Repair disk using another computer?

NOTE: You would need to create it on the same type of Windows your system currently has installed (either 32-bit or 64-bit).

#10 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:03 PM

No I cannot.

#11 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:42 PM

Okay, we may have to try resetting your computer to factory default state again.

I realize you previously said:  "The computer is supposed to be able to restore without one. I just did a restore to factory defaults several months ago, but when I tried to do it now it says cannot find the path specified", but it's worth trying again.

Please let me know what model of Gateway computer you have, so we can do the factory reset correctly. (or at least give it a good try).

Thanks.

#12 Joslinvg33

Joslinvg33
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:28 PM

I was wondering if it would be possible to download and create the correct system repair disc from a different computer ? Ex: vista 32 bit laptop.

I tried system restore again earlier when I tried chkdsk /r /x to no avail. I went to geek squad earlier and their best guess without charging me was a hd problem. They recommended I buy a new hd. I would post my gateway model number but I left it in my car trunk. I'm too tired and too far to go get that now.

Please let me know if I can download the correct content to create a repair/restore disc from a different computer.

#13 Torvald

Torvald

• Members
  • 366 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:47 PM

Yes, you can create a Windows 7 System Repair disk from another computer, but it needs to also be Windows 7 computer and the same type as your computer (32-bit or 64-bit).

Perhaps you have a neighbor that is willing to help, or you can talk one of the Geek Squad guys into helping.

Otherwise, you can go to this Gateway website  http://us-store.gateway.com/category.aspx?catid=5  and order a eRocovery CD for $19.95.

You will need to input some info about the model number or serial number of your computer, so you'll want to look that up first.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users