Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive going bad, trying to help a friend

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 trevzilla

trevzilla

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:08 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:33 PM

So, I have a friend whose hard drive is on the verge of obsolescence. It has pretty much died on us. I told them that I MAY be able to get the info off the hard drive using Ubuntu instead of Windows. Well, I had a little luck, but was only able to get about 50 megs off the drive before Ubuntu essentially couldn't see the drive any more.

So I'm curious if there is anything I can do, as a last ditch effort to get this info off the harddrive. Is there anything I can do to MAKE windows or Ubuntu see the hard drive just for the amount of time I need to get some more info off of it, or am I up the creek without a paddle at this point?

I have a dual boot Windows8/Ubuntu 14.01 OS. So I'm happy using either OS to get this done, Or if there is some other app out there. Like maybe Gparted or another hard drive utility that could help me out.

Essentially I want to get this drive up and spinning one last time.

Thanks for any help you can offer!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,286 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:40 PM

You will need a drive that has more space than what the capacity of the failing hard drive is. The easiest way is to use Parted Magic and create a directory on the drive recovering the data. Open up a terminal as root in the directory created and use the ddrescue command. Here is the guide. If th lsblk command shows a single partiiton on the drive, I would do a ddrescue of the partition and not the whole disk.

drescue -d -r3 /dev/sdax test.img test.logfile  

where x is the partition number. Using the log file, you can stop the image creating and the log file will let you start where you left off.  You may have to eliminate the -d switch as this is direct disk access. May not work on USB.

After creating the image which will hopefully finish you can run PhotoRec v6.14 on the image itself. I would use the windows version on the image.

In a command window as administrator

photorec_win.exe test.img          This will carve the image and hopefully get some extra files that are not corrupted.

Photorec step by step

#3 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:19 PM

Cool! Thanks for the info! I'll start delving into Parted Magic and see what I can come up with! I'll be sure to post back with my findings. :)

#4 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

O.K. Here is what I've learned so far...now I know this is soon in the process but I figured I'd give an update.

First of all, I've seen all this "use a logfile so you can start where you've left off" business. I'm just curious if I have to run a different command in terminal for it to pick up where I left off? Or will it automatically look at the log file and pick up there.

Secondly, I ran the command "ddrescue -d -r3 /dev/sdf test.img test.logfile" and it created the test.logfile and test.img file in the right place. It then said it rescued 5972 kb and shortly after said "ddrescue: input file disappeared: no such file or directory"

So I unplugged the drive, and plugged it back in. This time I ran the command "ddrescue -d -r3 /dev/sdf1 test.img test.logfile" to only work on the partition. Since then it's been "working" but the only thing that is changing is the ipos and opos. Currently I'm at 17 minutes since last successful read...

So my question is, is it working? Do I just need to give it time from here? My assumption is no, but I thought I'd ask anyway. If it's not working, what would my next step be? Trying without the -d possibly?

#5 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

O.K. After mucking around with this for a bit, it seems that the biggest hurdle to overcome is that the drive "disappears" after about 10 seconds or so. It seems like I can rescue about 100kb each time I plug the drive in, but then I get the input flie disappeared error - Making me unplug and replug the drive in. Obviously this isn't going to work for 500gigs...

So is there maybe a command I can run that will essentially depower, than repower the drive up, and as soon as it's detected to run that command until it disappears again?

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,286 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:43 PM

Sorry, I know of no command that will do that. Have you tried running the windows version of PhotoRec on the drive itself?

#7 trevzilla

trevzilla
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 116 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

Well, I just tried that. Unfortunately, it seems that Windows, Ubuntu, Parted Magic, and PhotoRec don't even recognize the drive being plugged in anymore. Windows makes the "usb device attached" sound. But nothing shows up in explorer.

Maybe I can find a way to hook the drive up via a SATA cable instead of using USB. At this point, that's my only thought. Unless there are any more ideas out there?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,286 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:10 AM

I would say hooking up the drive internally via SATA would be your only option at this point and if the drive is still not detected it would have to go to a professional data recovery service to get any data off of the drive. That can be very expensive. I have not used this company's services but they will try to recover data off the drive for $300. They use a portable clean room while the more expensive services use a dedicated clean room.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users