Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blank screen - attempted boot

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 ucma

ucma

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:18 AM

hi!

I am also having the same problem, on a compaque presario running on XP home.

When I tried booting up the system after a long interval of approx. a year, all i could see was the booting light go repeatedly on and off and a blank screen throughout.

TIll now i have no clue as to how to address this situation so that at least the screen comes back to life.

can anybody help out??

ucma

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:10 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:33 PM

Specific model of Presario, please?

Did you check any of the cables for looseness?

Louis

#3 ucma

ucma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 09:13 PM

hello louis!

its a compaq presario 2100 laptop (almost 8+ years old, sparingly used for the last couple of years), running on windows XP-home edition.

it has had a single battery replaced and now the second one too has almost lived its life.but i was having no problems connecting it to the mains and it worked seamlessly.

after checking into updates and refreshing it was left idle for almost a year and when i tried to boot it up it had a blank screen all through and booting lights and fan unit going on and off after an interval of approximately 15-20 seconds until the time i had to manually shut it down by long pressing the start button.

The cables and connections are all secure and tight jointed.

Trying to boot it up in safe mode(F8) also was not rewarding as it maintained status quo,  except the thing that the blinking lights and fan unit has stopped going on and off and has to be manually shut down as it does not display anything for a considerable time.

should i take this as a sign that the system has booted itself?

the system was in no way used for the internet in past and had been refreshed and scanned(with updated MSE) with no virus definitions whatsoever.

can i boot it externally and if that is a probable solution then how?

as i am not a hardware/software person, i have not tried anything on it and am waiting for an expert advice to act on.

this is the first time it has given me any trouble.

thank you in anticipation.

ucma

#4 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:47 AM

Inactivity and age of components...IMO, make the CMOS or RTC battery an initial suspect.  I would replace, reset BIOS and see what happens.

Louis

#5 ucma

ucma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 08 November 2014 - 10:48 PM

in the meantime i've replaced the battery with a new one, but the problem stays there.

the system starts and one can hear the fan coil unit sounds and the boot-up  indicator blinking at an interval of 5-10 seconds. and then turns off...then starts again...the process continues but the screen remains black all through.

as i already have the backup of my data, can you suggest any other means like total format etc from outside in case of a malware..like trying to recover the system from usb/flash drive etc?

many thanks louis!

ucma

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,868 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 12:43 PM

If you have a malware problem...this is not the forum to receive advice concerning such.  This forum concerns itself with O/S issues and participating members here are not expected to respond to malware situations which are inappropriately posted in this forum.

Depending on your questions...a good place to start, IMO, would be the General Security Forum .

Louis

#7 ucma

ucma
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 15 November 2014 - 08:46 PM

fine!

i really do not know the problem associated with the system.

would post it accordingly.

thanks, ucma

#8 bludshot

bludshot

• Members
  • 657 posts
  •  

Posted 17 November 2014 - 02:02 AM

I think this probably won't help for this, but it's worth a try:  Take the battery out and unplug the power adapter. Press and hold the power button for 30 seconds, let go. Then plug the power back in and turn it on. Then later when the laptop is fully off, put the battery back in.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users