Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Mind Boggling Charger Issue

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 danno1840

danno1840

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

Hey everyone

I have a problem that is slowing driving me insane. I use a Toshiba Satellite laptop for work.  Last week my charger stopped charging the laptop.  Literally overnight.  Just has no indication that it is plugged in at all.  I ordered a new one and in the meantime have just charged my laptop via car charger when I go to work.  Today, tired of waiting for the charger, I picked up a car to wall adapter in order to use the car charger in the house.  The adapter light comes on, the car charger light comes on but there is no sign the laptop is plugged in and charging.  Thinking it could be the outlet, I proceeded to try nearly every one in the house with no luck.  Exasperated, I went back out to the car to see if perhaps the charger had gone bad.  Nope.  Plugged into the car everything works just fine.  How is it possible that the laptop will charge everywhere but inside my house?  Help!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• Malware Response Instructor
  • 2,428 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

Hi danno,

How is it possible that the laptop will charge everywhere but inside my house?

Does the AC adapter charge the laptop when you plug it in at work? If not, the power supply is bad.

The AC adapter has 2 parts. The power cord that plugs into the wall, then plugs into the power supply, which then plugs into the laptop port. It is the power supply that might be bad. You can test this with a multimeter.

This is how to use a multimeter.

Edited by DonnaB, 26 October 2014 - 12:47 PM.

A cat named ugly

Proud parent of a young Man who devotes his life to the U.S.Navy

Graduate of GeekU Malware Removal training program

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#3 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:25 PM

The charger itself is fine.  The car charger charges the latop when it's plugged into the car.  But if I bring the same car charger into the house and plug it into the wall via the adapter, the laptop does not register that it is plugged in.  But the light on the charger lights up.  I'm not sure I'm explaining the situation very well

#4 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,428 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:47 PM

The charger itself is fine.

Which charger? The AC Adapter or the car charger?

Did you try your AC Adapter at work? How about the converter plugged into the AC Adapter at work? Do they both, or one or the other work there?

I'm not sure I'm explaining the situation very well

Now that I re-read what you typed, I see it was my oversight. That is a strange issue, indeed! There wouldn't be some type of setting on the laptop somewhere that was triggered to make this happen, maybe?

A cat named ugly

"To achieve the impossible, it is precisely the unthinkable that must be thought." ~ Tom Robbins

"Once I knew only darkness and stillness... my life was without past or future... but a little word from the fingers of another fell into my hand that clutched at emptiness, and my heart leaped to the rapture of living." ~ Helen Keller

#5 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:57 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:01 PM

I think I see what you want to do.  The AC adapter doesn't work but the DC/car adapter works fine.  Using the car adapter (12 volts DC) needs to have another conversion of AC to DC (110 volts AC to 12 volts DC) to power the car adapter in the house.  Many AC adapters have a double circuit and a three connection plugin.  First plugin the AC to DC adapter to the wall, then connect the car adapter to the AC adapter and finally plug into the LT.  No reason this shouldn't work.

#6 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:04 AM

Donna- That was my thought too.  Maybe there was some setting on the laptop but I haven't triggered anything intentionally.  And I've had the laptop for over a year with no issue.  I'm also not sure I'm explaining what this wall converter thing is.  I don't know how common they are.  Basically, it's a little device with the two prongs that plug into the wall.  Then it also has a round opening the size of a cigarette lighter in a car.  You plug the car charging device into this in order to use a car charger in the house plugged into the wall.  How is it possible for the car charger to work in the car but then minutes later NOT work in the house?  It's infuriating!

#7 danno1840

danno1840
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:05 AM

MJD-The car charger doesn't seperate into two pieces like most laptop chargers.  It's all connected in one piece

#8 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

Then the inhouse charger is not working.

#9 DonnaB

DonnaB

Bleepin' Ailurophile

• 2,428 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 06:11 PM

Basically, it's a little device with the two prongs that plug into the wall. Then it also has a round opening the size of a cigarette lighter in a car. You plug the car charging device into this in order to use a car charger in the house plugged into the wall.

You are talking about an AC to DC adapter as I have posted an image to below:

adapter.jpg

Right?

Does your laptops AC adapter work elsewhere? (work, a friends house, etc)

Did you check the power supply with a multimeter??

A cat named ugly

#10 mjd420nova

mjd420nova

• Members
  • 1,832 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

By the looks of the device, it is not big enough or powerful enough to run your laptop.  You need a unit that can supply 12 volts with at least 3 amps.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users