Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferring files from Vista to Windows 8

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Izzybex

Izzybex

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:48 AM

Hi, 

I am wanting to transfer files from my old PC Windows Vista, to my new PC Windows 8. 

I have seen conflicting advice about Windows easy transfer, and easy transfer cables. I don't want to buy the wrong cable.

Thank you

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:03 PM

Is this Windows 8 or 8.1?

This Windows article addresses the problem of running Vista programs on Windows 8.1.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Izzybex

Izzybex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

Hi,

It is Windows 8. It's a new laptop I have bought which has Windows 8 installed. I have not downloaded Windows 8.1. One problem at a time is enough for me.

Thanks

#4 Queen-Evie

Queen-Evie

Official Bleepin' G.R.I.T.S. (and proud of it)

• Members
  • 16,485 posts
  •  
  • Location:My own little corner of the universe (somewhere in Alabama). It's OK, they know me here
  • Local time:10:31 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 05:35 PM

Do you want to transfer personal files only? Pictures, documents, music, favorites, etc.

For those you could copy them to an external drive if you have one.

Then hook up the external drive to the new system and copy them to the appropriate folders.

In my opinion, this is a better solution than Windows Easy Tranfer.

You buy the cable, use it, then it sits around un-used. For me, that is a waste of money.

Even if you have to buy an external drive, you would get more use out of it since you can regularly back up your computer to the drive.

#5 Izzybex

Izzybex
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

Hi Queen-Evie,

I received a reply from you by email, and I tried replying to it but my email was rejected, so I shall reply here.

Thanks for your reply. Yes I have an external drive and I tried that.
However my new computer didn't recognise it. I was told this meant that it
perhaps was on the same drive as the as the ones already on my computer. I
don't know enough about computers to start altering the existing drives, sok you
thought easy transfer was the way to go. In the morning, I will have a read
at the link you sent me.

Thank you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users