Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

broadband connectivity

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 jkv1255

jkv1255

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:48 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

hi

i m using a slow 512 kbps broadband with outdated nokia siemens modem. 

. i very often see the dsl light  and wlan light lit on my modem. and the green light of internet keeps on blinking irregularly (when dsl yellow light is on and internet light keeps blinking regularly then connectivity is really good) and i dont have net connectivity. i see in network and sharing settings that sent packets' no. constantly keeps increasing but receivng packets' no. does not increase proportionally. 

so wat could be the underlying problem.. is there a problem in the cable of telephone line of in any of the cables connected with modem and my laptop or the problem could be in modem itself?

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:49 AM

Ping your modem repeatedly (it's the Default Gateway). If you have good connectivity to the modem then your PC and cable are good.

Now, ping an external website (google.com works well) repeatedly. If you are consistently losing a large number of packets then the modem probably needs to be replaced.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:18 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:42 PM

Ping or tracert can not tell you if you are dropping packets.  Some believe that "request timed out" means packet loss even if the reality is that the router was configured to not respond to icmp traffic.  ICMP is the protocol used by ping and tracert.

Ping also doesn't tell you WHERE the net slowness is but traceroute or tracert does.  If you see huge millisecond times from your router to the first hop that can be a good sign you need to replace your modem/router.

Best way to see if you need to replace the standalone modem is logon to it and review the log.  If you see "T3 failed" or "sync failed" those are also good signs the modem needs to be replaced.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users