Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Printer Offline

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Hal06

Hal06

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:12 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:05 AM

Hello. This is a problem I've had since I purchased a new laptop earlier this year. The new laptop is HP running Windows 7. The printer is a multi-function Brother MFC-8500 printer/fax/copier/etc. The printer is at least 12 years old.

Almost every time I want to print, I have to reinstall the printer since it is always offline. When I do reinstall it I usually find one or two copies of it in Devices and Printers. In other words, the MFC-8500 appears and there is also MFC-8500 (1) and MFC-8500 (2). None of them are online so I have to delete all three and reinstall. In reality this does not take that long but it is annoying.

Is the printer just too old? There is a driver in the Windows 7 software.

Ideas?

Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 08:26 AM

When the printer shows offline, Right clicking the printer icon and unchecking "Use Offline" does not bring the printer online?

#3 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:32 PM

Did not know to try that. Right now it actually shows Ready. I'll try that next time. But windows did create a copy of my printer. Why would it do that? Why is there MFC-8500 and MFC-8500 (1)?

Thanks.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:52 PM

That usually happens when you install a printer twice. You can delete the one named MFC-8500 (1).

#5 paul88ks

paul88ks

• Members
  • 1,323 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:12 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 02:06 AM

if your printer is 12 years old it may not be supported by Windows 7- if so , it will only install the printer driver.Check the Brother website to see if it is supported. Multi-function printers are so cheap now, you might do well to just go buy a new one.

#6 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 11:39 AM

So I tried printing today. and I had to remove the printer and reinstall. I did not see any option to remove a "Use Offline" option when I rightclicked. I deleted and reinstalled. Any ideas?

#7 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 12:54 PM

When you delete the printer you don't actually delete the corresponding drivers.  From what I have read, the driver is built into Windows 7. I was going to suggest to delete and reinstall the drivers but because they are built into Windows 7 I would be hesitant to do that. Is the printer shared on a network? Does the printer have a power down feature. If it does, disable that and see if it still goes offline.

Also see this thread.

#8 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 01:40 PM

Thanks. Interesting article but it seems directed to a network printer when I simply connect my printer to the laptop with a USB cable so I don't know if that article applies. Regarding the sleep option I don't see any mention of it in the printer's manual. Would it be controlled from the printer or the computer?

#9 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,416 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 02:41 PM

If auto power down is not in the manual then it doesn't exist for your model. On page 4-8 of the manual it mentions Sleep Mode but that can only be set from 0 to 99 minutes. The only other thing you can try is to disable Selective Suspend on the USB port. Yours in not a network printer but googling shows a lot of people with this offline problem and Windows 7.

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-annoying-windows-usb-problem.htm

#10 Hal06

Hal06
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 926 posts
  •  

Posted 03 November 2014 - 04:09 PM

Thanks. As always, I realize that I'm never the first to have a particular computer problem!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users