Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Crash after trying to dual boot Win 8 vhd with Win 7

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Miss Meek

Miss Meek

• Members
  • 15 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:22 AM

Thanks in advance for the help.

I was attempting to install a copy of Win 8 pro as a dual boot vhd with Win 7.  I'm currently in school and have done this in class as well as having detailed instructions laid out by my professor.  Everything was find creating the VHD and mounting it and adding it to the boot menu.  Then it was time to reboot.

This is where my problem comes in.  When I rebooted, I got a promp asking me if I wanted Win 8 or 7.  I think it was asking me for a default which I wasnt expecting right out of the box and I honestly don't remember.  I picked Win 8.  That wouldn't have been an issue if it werent for the error I got when trying to install Win 8. VHD_BOOT_INitalization_failed.  It keeps looping and I don't get the boot menu prompt anymore.

After failing and rebooting, it goes into Win8 version of a recovery counsol (I think), but nothing works b/c It hadn't installed anything yet; i.e. no system restore b/c they're no restore points made.

I dug out my recovery discs and booted into the HP Recovery Manager.  In the first column: option 1 is grayed out (Microsoft system restore), System recovery, factory reset, minimized image recovery. Column 2 Run computer checkup.  I click this and "Open a command prompt" is my only choice.

This takes me to x:\windows\rm>

I go into diskpart ->List disk

Disk #  Status    Size     Free       Dyn        Gpt

Disk 0  Foreign  298gb       0B         *

List Volume

Volume #    Ltr      Label                Fs      Type               Size           Status     Info

Volume 0    D        Recovery13      UDF    DVD-rom       4296MB   Healthy

Select Disk 0 -> List Partition

Partition ##          Type                      Size                      Offset

Partition 1             Dynamic Data     992KB                    31KB

Partition 2             Dynamic Data    199MB               1024 KB

Partition 3             Dynamic Data     284GB                 200MB

Partition 4             Dynamic Data     13GB                   284GB

I hope I've given you enough information.  I'm also hoping I won't loose any data, this semester is stressful enough lol.

I thank you one again for any assistance you can give me.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,844 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:20 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:13 PM

I don't know anything about Win 8...but if you got a screen prompt to choose the O/S you wanted to boot into...that indicates that a dual-boot already existed.

It might help someone to help you if you indicated what the system specific data might be.

Moving topic to Win 8 forum, where I think it belongs :).

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users