Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Needed Please, Blue Screen After New Video Card Install.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 tate12

tate12

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:57 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:44 AM

Hello, I just upgraded my video card. I went from a 7950 to MSI R9 290. I forgot to unistall my old ati drivers before I replaced my card. 

So after I had my new card in and booted up my PC it got stuck at the windows screen (running Windows 7), I turned the PC off and restarted it, and Windows loaded (with a low resolution) and Windows said it was installing an HD audio controller, HD audio driver and VGA controller and then when those were done it said in detected R9 200 series card and that I needed to reboot.

So I tried to reboot and it got stuck on the Windows screen about 4 or 5 more times before I could get Windows to load, once in loaded everything seemed OK, I used the PC and left it on for the next 36 hours or so and used it to play some games and ran a benchmark on the card and everything was going ok.

So the next time I shut the PC down and try to boot again I get a few seconds of the Windows screen and then just a blue screen and thats all I can get now. Here is what the blue screen says.

"  check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer

Technical Information:
Stop: 0x0000007B (0XFFFF880009A98E8,0XFFFFFFFFC0000034,0X0000000000000000,0X0000000000000000)   "

I ran the CHKDSK on my SSD with no errors and I removed the SSD and hooked it up to another computer and I can access and copy the files from it fine, so I dont think it is a Hard drive issue.

I have tried everything I can think of, I cant start in safe mode I get the same blue screen, I ran the low resolution mode and get same blue screen. I had two restore points, one from like a week before now, tried to restore it and got an error that said it was unable to copy some AVG file so the restore did not work and it deleted that restore point. The other restore point I have is from right after I first put this new card in but it I cant get it to restore, I get this error " Sysytem restore did not  complete successfully. Your computers sysytem files and settings were not changed. Details: an unspecified error occured during System Restore. 90x800700b7)

I have tried start up repair and get this.

Startup Repair Cannot repair This Computer Automatically
Problem Signature:
Problem Event name: StartupRepairOffline
Problem Signature 01: 0.0.0.0
Problem Signature 02: 6.1.7600.16385
Problem Signature 03: unknown
Problem Signature 04: 21200430
Problem Signature 05: AutoFailover
Problem Signature 06: 2
Problem Signature 07: BadDriver
OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.256.1
LocalID: 1033

Any ideas? Think not uninstalling the Catalyst driver could have done all this? I thought the two cards use the same drivers, but maybe not?

Edited by tate12, 26 October 2014 - 01:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,404 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:08 PM

Please download MiniToolBox  , save it to your desktop and run it.

Checkmark the following checkboxes:
  List last 10 Event Viewer log
  List Installed Programs
  List Users, Partitions and Memory size.

Click Go and paste the content into your next post.

Also...please Publish a Snapshot using Speccy - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic323892.html/page__p__1797792#entry1797792 , taking care to post the link of the snapshot in your next post.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users