Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

WMP will only do audio for 1440p/2160p videos but no visual

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Arlothia

Arlothia

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:14 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:51 PM

Hi guys,

I recently downloaded a video that was 1440p (and then the same one that was 2160p) from youtube using Ummy video downloader 2.1. It's MP4 format and when I try to watch it on Windows Media Player (I'm not sure what exact version I have) it only plays the audio for it and no visuals except for a blue/black-ish background and a musical note in a box in the center. At the very bottom left of the screen under the progress bar there's a small little rectangle that has moving "))))))))))" and when I hover over it, it says either "Network is too busy to play file at original quality" or "playing at 254 kbps".

Is there a way to change the settings or update my WMP? Or is there another video player out there that will allow me to watch these ultra HQ videos?

Thanks!

Arlothia

(note: also posting on "Audio and Video" Forum

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 frankp316

frankp316

• Members
  • 2,677 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:19 AM

Try VLC.

http://www.videolan.org/

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 2,895 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 AM

Posted 05 November 2014 - 03:43 PM

I would also advise trying vlc, but i shall also give(probable) the reason your current media player (windows media player) won't play this file.

It is less likely to be failing to play because of resolution or quality but because of something called a codec, video files are more confusing than many file formats in that you have a file type (.avi .mpg .mp4 .wmv etc) and within this you have a part for holding the audio data and a part holding the video data. Audio data is uaully carried in an mp3 or wav codec, which windows media player can read, video can be carried in a very wide range of codecs, most of which windows media player doesn't recognise at all and so cannot play. In those cases it will play the audio but display no picture. Vlc has many more codecs supported, plus loads of semi-useful though fiddly features, so will play almost anything. If this problem actually is because the video is too big a file(rather than the much more probable codec compatibility issues) vlc will play it but it will stutter and stop for a fraction of a second every few seconds. I know that from the experience of trying to play a raw avi file, rendered out of blender at resoluton 2000 by 1400 and having the video pause for a half second every two seconds during playback.

Edited by rp88, 05 November 2014 - 03:43 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users