Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

LAW: Are Documents Found in, Search Public Domain for Exmpl.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jove

Jove

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 02:51 PM

My question is to the person relative to the knowledge of specific copyright law in this case may be exemplified

If a news paper is found and a copy of the news paper's front page is reproduced for a lost and found advertisement, ( to locate the owner of the news paper that he may still want after he slept under it the night before), would this be a property that was found in the public domain and therefore no law restricts its use as a reference of one kind or another by anyone.

My line of thinking if the duplicate copy carried the Identification information, that would be accredited to the rightful owner, in this case, a news paper, . . this would seem to be a re advertisement in favor of the News Paper company.

Also,

Many Documents are constructed or composed from writings  and or textual information or data from forum discussions without the knowledge of the author.
It would seem that these would fall under a public dominion of one category or another.

Your comment and opinion will be very helpful. 

Maybe this post belongs elsewhere but would seem appropriate for persons developing in the ways of the web.

Edit: Moved topic from Web Site Development to the more appropriate forum.~ Animal

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:58 PM

No. The general principle is that if you generate a work of any artistic sort - a newspaper article, a novel, a painting, a photograph, etc. - you, or the organisation you are working for have a copyright in that work and it may not - again in principle - be used by anybody else or any other organisation without permission and possibly the payment of a fee. See the Berne Convention on Copyright. Here is an instant guide, there are plenty of detailed legal texts on the subject -

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berne_Convention

Having a copyright and benefiting from it are two different things in this digital age. In the UK I believe that copyright law still forbids translating a music CD say into any other medium. Tell that to any British citizen with a music collection on their hard drive.

Abuse of copyright is extremely easy, but that does not mean that everything enters the public domain. Even if you publish one of my photos all over the known Universe that does not negate the fact that I have a copyright in that photo. For your own good, don't publish it in Alpha Centauri, I have a very good lawyer there on retainer. Which just points up the problem. Copying today is so easy and and enforcing the payment of fees or royalties so expensive.

The law is not entirely an ass. Quoting, with attribution, from a previously published work is accepted practice especially in academic works but lifting complete chunks of someone else's work and incorporating it into yours without attribution is plagiarism. And there have been many law cases on this subject over the years.

Chris Cosgrove

Edited by Chris Cosgrove, 27 October 2014 - 09:03 PM.
Added material

#3 Jove

Jove
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2,739 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:21 AM

Posted 12 November 2014 - 11:20 PM

Hi Tom Thanks,

Well I will need to read that and think a little more about what you said, . .

but along with works of an artistic nature I also am referring to works

of a textual nature, for example as I mention document, . meaning

after I post this it will appear somewhere on the net in the form

of a document and it will probably be  generated by BC, or some other

means of generating a document  to publication, etc.

so I assume that this somehow is an inference to a public domain use and the right,

for example, i.e., reproduction of part or the body, title, etc. of this thread

are within the rights of BC. I am not challenging or questioning BC but am

curious. I'd like to know if that use of documentation I am referring to is actually

in the public domain, and if so then that would also mean that I myself may use

such a documentation for publication etc, . . i.e., to use a documentation from the internet

in a publication as a reference, etc.

BTW, I also do art work and am looking into Insurance etc. did you know

that Lloyd's of London has a international syndicate where you can retain a lawyer

or firm to be there fore you ? Prestigious name of course but still all in all

right is right, which regardless of logic or opinion may have to be overturned in

the supreme court, . .what an pleasant  thought, huh ?

Edited by Jove, 12 November 2014 - 11:24 PM.

When you don't have to worry about your computer anymore, you can start
living again !

vrwqzc.gif
Success is a result, not a goal. . . . Flaubert

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,287 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:21 PM

Posted 18 November 2014 - 07:40 PM

I've been called many things in my life, but I think that is the first time I have ever been called Tom !

I am not quite sure what your argument is about publishing on BC, or any other forum on the web. You write it, you publish it - here or elsewhere - but you published it. Other posters are entitled to copy some or all of your post but it is supposed to be either highlighted as a quote or set in inverted commas. To the best of my knowledge, BC does not publish your topics elsewhere and the nearest I can find to anything in the forum rules relating to copyright is this section -

When posting you agree that the administrators and the moderators of this forum has the right to modify, delete, edit or close any topic, signature, account, or profile data at any time that they see fit. If you have any questions concerning this, please do not start a new thread, but rather private message to an administrator or moderator.

I can assure you that this right is used fairly sparingly, with the possible exception of closing topics. This is sometimes done at the original poster's request, more commonly when the discussion gets - shall we say ? - out of hand, or in the event of flagrant breach of forum rules.

As far as I  know, anything you write on BC is yours and you may use it in any way you see fit. Grinler - the site owner - may disagree with me on this, but that is my opinion. As far as copyright law goes it makes no difference whether the work in question is a piece of text, a photo or a piece of music. If you created it up until such time as you assign the copyright to someone else it is yours.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,573 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 22 November 2014 - 01:35 AM

To add to what Chris has said, you retain the copyright of any contribution you make to the site, but accoring the Bleeping Comuters Terms of Use, you have granted a license to Bleeping Computer to use, distribute, reproduce, modify, etc. your contributions.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users