Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Quick launch taskbar disabled and sorted

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Cynthia Moore

Cynthia Moore

• Members
  • 226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:53 PM

Somehow, my quick launch taskbar got disabled. I right-clicked on the Taskbar, selected Toolbars, and rechecked Quick Launch. It came back, but all of the icons were sorted alphabetically. I had them arranged in groups for easier access. Is there any way to restore it the way it was? I have Carbonite doing continuous backups, but I think it's mainly data files. I don't think it backs up system files. I also have the Carbonite Mirror Image backup on a USB drive, so I should have a complete system backup with checkpoints every few days going back for over a year. I've never restored anything from that backup, so I don't know if there's a way to get a single file and, even if there is, which file I would need to get.

I'd appreciate any help. If not, no biggie. I'll just manually rearrange them. But then I'd like to know where the settings are stored so I can make a backup in case this happens again.

Thanks

Now I'll try to describe the unusual events just before this happened. Maybe someone can tell me why it happened.

I came back to the computer after being away for an hour or two. On the screen, there was a message from the Windows Update facility telling me that updates had been applied and my machine would be restarted in 15 minutes. It had a countdown timer going. This was an unusual message, because I have the Windows Automatic Updates set to the second option (Download updates, but let me choose when to install). I’ve never gotten this message before. I always get a little Taskbar pop-up telling that there are updates ready to install. I check the settings, and somehow it had gotten changed to the first option (Automatic). I changed it back to the second option.

I clicked on the Restart Later button. Of course, that only made the annoying message go away for a few minutes. So I closed what I was working on and rebooted the machine.

When it came back up, I got a pop-up from the Taskbar telling me that updates were available for download. (As an aside, it never seems to download them until I say to, but whatever.) I thought this was odd, since it just told me that updates had been applied. I clicked on the update icon and got a dialog telling me that there were 21 updates to apply. Anyway, I clicked on the button to install them.

While that was running, I got a message from Malware Bytes. It said it was unable to perform a rootkit scan and it was probably because of root record activity. I figured that was the update.

The updates took about 15 minutes and then I rebooted the machine. When it came back up, the quick launch toolbar was gone.

Any clues?

Running Win XP with Office 2007

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:44 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Try using this http://windowsxp.mvps.org/tweakui.htm and see if you can use the additional settings provided on the taskbar features when you decided to manually rearrange them. You can also create a system restore point to gain access to a date when everythingwas working fine as a safety precaution.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users