Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 7 Firewall Won't Start

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 victoriarich

victoriarich

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:40 PM

I try to turn on the firewall and I get this message: Windows Firewall can't change some of your settings. Error code 0x8007042c

I'm not sure when this started happening, but can someone help me fix it!?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:15 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

Welcome,

Some questions before an attempt to fix anything.

Do you have a security program installed, current and running? Many security programs provide a firewall and so turn off the windows firewall.

Have you run any scans to see if your system is infected in any way? If so, which ones and what were the results.

Keep us posted

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,690 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:15 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

Click on the Start orb, then type Services in the Search programs and files box.

Services will appear above the search box under Programs, right click on Services and choose Run as administrator.

When Services opens scroll down to until you find Windows Firewall, double click on it.

Click the Startup type box and make sure it is set to Automatic, if it isn't click on Automatic.

Look in the Service status to see if it is running, if it isn't click on Start, then click on Apply, then OK.

Scroll down to Base Filtering Engine and doulbe click on it. 

If Service status is Stopped click on Start, then Apply, and OK.

Restart the computer and see if the Windows Firewall is enabled.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users