Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transferrring files from an "infected" computer to one without an antivirus

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#16 rp88

rp88
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3,067 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 11 December 2014 - 12:26 PM

That one on malwarebytes looks like just the classic false extension trick.

The exterminate-it page seems to show that some malware might create thumbs.db files but not that the malware spreads via them.

The 2-spyware page looked a pretty dodgy source, seemingly designed to promote a product. It had flashing "download FREE scanner now" content depsite my running of noscript and adblockplus. It seems that site might be trying to hand out infections, i took a look at it's reputation on weboftrust.

The f-secure page describes a pretty scary sounding virus, would i be right in thinking it can only infect computers which open CDs if those computers have autorun enabled? Or can the files it places on discs written by the infected computer be executed by the computer into which the disc is inserted even if that computer has autorun disabled? It sounds like this malware has an almost empty exe file that just says "take and run instructions from thumbs.db" and thumbs.db contains the viral instructions, but could the thumbs.db file alone cause the infection without the exe to read it?

The whole point of my questions here is to work out what can be done so that if malware had been written onto a cd disc that disc could be placed into a clean machne to copy certain (images and 3d models) files from it without the disc being able to infect the clean machine. Is disabling autorun all that needs to be done or is protecton more complex?

Edited by rp88, 11 December 2014 - 12:27 PM.

Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users