Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

check cable connection

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 dubitoc

dubitoc

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:50 AM

Hi there i am new to this site and i am seeking aid for my current asus laptop x55a series model.....when i start up my laptop i recieve this message.
"Intel UNDI , PXE-2.0(build 083)
Copyright © 1997-2000 intel corporation
For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.1.0.10(10/20/11)

Check cable connection!
PXE-M0F : Exiting Intel PXE ROM.

Reboot and select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:13 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:23 AM

This is because your LAN card is selected as the first boot device. You have to go into the bios by pressing F2 during boot and change the boot sequence to first boot device cdrom then hd. If this happen out of the blue it's likely because of a dying bios battery that needs to be replace.

#3 dubitoc

dubitoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:24 AM

My HDD doesnt appear in Bios as a Boot option

#4 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:55 AM

Under boot do you see a PXE ROM? Turn that off and below that you should see Boot Option Priorities. From there you select your hd as boot option one and cdr as boot option 2. Have a look at your online laptop manual....Starting at page 76. http://www.manualowl.com/m/Asus/X55A/Manual/284720?page=30 If there is no HD to select then try loading the bios defaults and reboot the system. If the OS doesn't start, then reboot again and go back into the bios and see if the HD is detected. If the bios is not detecting the hd then it's possible you could have a failed HD.

#5 dubitoc

dubitoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:11 AM

Again,the HDD isnt there,the HDD might be dead

#6 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

Again,the HDD isnt there,the HDD might be dead

Sorry, but it happens.

#7 dubitoc

dubitoc
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:30 PM

And the reason for that is....?

#8 rotor123

rotor123

• 8,093 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:13 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

Hi as with anything that has moving parts, the question with a hard drive is not if it will die but when it will die.

A hard impact while it is running can kill a hard drive for example.

It just happens. Sometimes it will give a warning and some of the time it will just die. and <1% of the time it is the computer and not the drive. The definitive test is to hook it up to a USB adapter and try it with another computer.

Good Luck

Roger

Edited by rotor123, 25 October 2014 - 01:22 PM.

Fortune Cookie says: Fortune not Found: Abort, Retry, Ignore?

Sent from my All-In-One Desktop. Perfect for Internet, Not for heavy usage or gaming however.

How Does a computer get Infected? http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/2520/how-did-i-get-infected/
Forum Rules,    The BC Welcome Guide

167 @ June 2015

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,480 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:01 PM

A hard drive can fail at any time either mechanically or logicallly (circuits). If the laptop was dropped or taken on trips all the time. SSD of course remedy mechanical failures, but they degrade over time as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users