Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

BSOD caused by AMD Display driver

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Trondheim

Trondheim

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:13 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:37 AM

Hello,

Here is the thing. 

A few days ago (23/10/14), I have had for the first time several crashes that took place in the following way : 
> screen freezes, shuts down many times
> Windows pops up saying "AMD driver has crashed and has been recovered"
> blue screen : MEMORY MANAGEMENT

Then I restart my computer, the same blue screen happens, but it seems that this time the "atikmpag.sys" driver is involved.
This issue occurs most likely when my graphic hardware is solicited (games, high resolution video, streaming media) and a web browser opened. For example, I passed all night long with the computer switched on, just listening to music.

The old version of this driver could be an idea. I have tried to update it, unfortunately the update is not compatible with the system. I am actually (24/10/14) running on version 12.xxx.x.xxxx of AMD Driver for Radeon HD 7600M Series GPU.

• Read the WhoCrashed report : 

On Fri 24/10/2014 11:08:24 GMT your computer crashed
crash dump file: C:\Windows\Minidump\102414-106127-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: atikmpag.sys (atikmpag+0x98A4)
Bugcheck code: 0x116 (0xFFFFFA8009D0A4E0, 0xFFFFF880077468A4, 0x0, 0x2)
Error: VIDEO_TDR_ERROR
file path: C:\Windows\system32\drivers\atikmpag.sys
product: AMD Driver
company: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc
description: AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver
Bug check description: This indicates that an attempt to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout failed.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: atikmpag.sys (AMD multi-vendor Miniport Driver, Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.)

> THE WEIRD THING

While I'm typing the first part of this message, my computer decides to crash. Again. And again.

First crash : can't provide any crash dump, I unplugged the computer (without battery) before the blue screen appears. I restart, and it crashes again, this time with "win32k.sys" driver mentioned as source of the crash. I decide to restart again but using Safe Mode. 

The WhoCrashed report has changed. You can find it attached in this post.

I decide to check the AMD driver. I update it, and its version changes : from 12.xxx.x.xxxx to 8.933.3.4000 (05/03/2012 - downloadable on hp support website). I will wait for answers before doing anything else, because restarting drove my computer to crash on "afd.sys". 

I kinda have the feeling that my drivers are shutting down one by one.

I hope I gave all the information that could be needed to solve this.

Thank you for your help...

Attached Files

Edited by Trondheim, 25 October 2014 - 08:36 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:39 AM

Hi and Welcome to the Bleeping Computer Community :welcome:

:step1: Please post the laptop model next time.

:step2: When was the last time your computer was ever dusted internally?

:step3: Any heating or thermal events before the problem started occuring?

:step4: Download MiniToolBox and open/run the program.
      When open, checkmark or select all options then click Go.
      A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

:step5: How to use system file checker and post the result next time.

Tekken

#3 Trondheim

Trondheim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 05:01 AM

Hello,

Sorry, I thought you would read the speccy report, as long as it provides you all the information you could need at time of the incident.

About the heating issue, yeah I have had some troubles but that was like 6 months ago, and related to the fact that I had opened my computer in order to clean it.  Dust was blocking the cooling device.

I am actually working on my laptop with Leshcat's Catalyst solution, I can't give you yje MiniToolBox report because my hardware configuration was changed.

#4 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:13 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

Over heating hardware even once can cause permanent damage. It does appear that some of the temps are still pretty high if this speccy shot was taken while the computer was at idle.

Processeur
Intel Core i5 3210M @ 2.50GHz: 
63 °C

Carte mère
Hewlett-Packard 183E (U3E1): 
65 °C

Since this crash seems to happen when you are putting a load on the video card, my guess at the moment would be either you have a bad power supply or a bad video card.

The fastest way to rule them out is to swap them if you have spare parts. If you try a different video card that uses the same amount of wattage under load and you have no problem with that new card, most likely the issue was the card itself. You could also try a different known good psu. You can also try HWmonitor, which should report your voltages and temperatures. Watch the 3.3v, 5v, and 12v, voltages to see if they stay within 5% of the stated voltages. http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

I would recommend you download the most recent driver directly from amd's website for your specific video card and windows version.

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 07:48 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#5 Trondheim

Trondheim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 07:58 AM

The hardware was hot at time I took the test, but I wouldn't assume that it is the cause of the crashes. Some of the games and high-consumption softwares I have don't make the temperature increase that much. But even in class when nothing else than Microsoft Word is running, speccy would indicate temperatures above 70°C. Which is, according to HWMonitor, 9°C over the maximum temperature saved :

I am currently running HWMonitor :

Motherboard temperature (Helwett-Packard 183E) : // (Value) (Min) (Max)

(54°C/129°F) (54°C/159°F) (61°C/141°F)

Voltages : few variations (0.881 V <  v  < 0.891 V) (0.871 V) (0.891 V)

I can't find any of the videocards (Intel/AMD) on the monitor.

Thanks for your help 

Edited by Trondheim, 30 October 2014 - 08:01 AM.

#6 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:30 AM

Can you take a screen shot of everything on HWmonitor and post a link from dropbox or similar?

Those temps are not terrible, for some reason I thought this was a desktop, this is a laptop, temps in the 50s or 60s in a laptop with an i5 might be expected to some extent.

That said, HP has one of the worst track records with failing video chipsets. I have no idea (for certain) why to this date, I suspect they didn't work out cooling correctly. The DV series, G series, and compaq Q series had a very bad reputation in the retail world where I worked. I probably had over 100 sitting on a shelf in the back that were scrapped for parts every few months.

Can you give me the exact make and model of this laptop?

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 08:32 AM.

If I am helping you with a problem and I have not responded within 48 hours please send me a PM.

#7 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:34 AM

I would recommend running memtest86+ if you have not already done so you can download the file and burn directly to a disc or create a bootable flash drive (backup the flash drive first since a format is required): http://memtest.org/#downiso

** Memtest86+ V5.01 (27/09/2013)**

Let the test run for at least 3 passes. If you see any red error codes on the screen, post all of the information in that line here. Also please post what size stick of ram is in each slot. If there is an error, I may be able to determine which stick of ram is bad (if there is a bad stick).

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 08:36 AM.

#8 Trondheim

Trondheim
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:36 AM

Sure,

it's HP Pavilion g6-2153sf Portable Notebook PC, bought in 2012.

HWMonitor report here 

#9 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

HP G series...

Nothing bad in the HWmonitor report. One thing that may cause problems is a bad battery, you could remove the battery and try to run the laptop from just the power cord, see if it still crashes when using the video card for something like a game or HD video.

My guess at the moment (because this is a common issue and matches your description of the crashes) is that the amd video chipset is beginning to fail. Unfortunately if this is the case, it would require a new motherboard. From what I can see this is a soldered on video chip, not removable easily.

If it is the motherboard/video chipset, it is tough to recommend replacing the motherboard, if you chose to do so, I would only buy a guaranteed new motherboard. The reason is quite often the used boards are "reflowed" and they generally do not last long. I have reflowed many g, q, and dv series, typically a reflow lasts between 6 months and a year. Some only weeks or less.

#10 zingo156

zingo156

• BC Advisor
  • 3,333 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

A few more things to try, if you look back to jhayz's post, SFC is a good thing to run (step 5), let me know if there are any errors reported. That and also try a chkdsk /r.

For chkdsk, in your start menu, type cmd, when cmd appears in the list, right click on it and select "run as administrator". Then in the black box type in

chkdsk c: /r

Hit enter and if it asks to set it up to run the next reboot, type y and hit enter again. Then reboot the machine and let chkdsk run when it reboots. Now we need to find the log: http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/96938-check-disk-chkdsk-read-event-viewer-log.html

Take a screen shot of the log and post that here.

Edited by zingo156, 30 October 2014 - 09:01 AM.

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 AM

Posted 01 November 2014 - 07:23 PM

Just to add also pertaining to softwares installed, please remove Iobit System Care and Avast as sometimes it's listed as one of the offending bluescreens. In case you were having a driver problem even after the correct version is installed, try using Display Driver Uninstaller and then reinstall the downloaded AMD driver on next reboot.

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users