Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Sync local folder on office pc w/ local folder on Surface Pro???

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 aaronpace

aaronpace

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:43 AM

Hello,

I found this forum out of necessity. I have done a fair share of googling this question without any luck/resolution. Hopefully someone here will have a useful answer.

I use a program at my office that stores data in the local program folder on my pc. However i also use this program on my tablet (surface pro 3). these are both windows devices (7,8 respectively) so i'm hoping that works to my advantage.

Most of the resolutions i found on google involved using my OneDrive; however the "Local" folder is approx 15 GB depending on the number of projects so this is not an option.

I would rather find a solution that does not involve an external HDD at this is just one more piece of equipment to carry and i worry about performance issues while working on the projects.

In my opinion the ideal solution is:

Use the program while i am at the office, the files save to the "Local" folder on my PC and then when my tablet is "awake" the modified files automatically sync over our wifi connection.

The wifi aspect isnt a deal breaker, i am fine with syncing via a USB 3.0 cord as well.

The main goal is i want the projects/data from the "Local" folder to sync with either my PC or my tablet (depending on which file has the most recent time stamp). So obviously if i work on a project during the week and need to view/modify it outside the office, any changes made will sync to the PC the next time I connect via the wifi or USB.

I am also open to alternative solutions that i may be missing.

*Cross posted to Windows 8 Forum as well.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:38 AM

I would agree that having a cloud storage would be nice should the office server go down. You do know that you don't have to sync the entire share folder and programs right? You can sync just individual files that are actually being used and changed. As far as extra storage goes, no need to tote around an external HD. Why not get a couple USB 3.0 flash drives or sdcards? And I really do mean get 2-3, just in case one should fail you have some kind of a backup. You can never rely on a single backup.

#3 aaronpace

aaronpace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:52 AM

I dont think we are understanding each other.

Example:

I have 10 current "Photoshop" projects that I work on at various times. All the files for these current projects are stored on my local hdd (its too performance prohibitive to house them on the server and try to work on them)

I need access to all 10 of these projects until the project is: completed or discontinued. Once this happens I manually select which projects to move over to the server. (my local hdd is backed up to the server nightly so hardware failure concerns are not the issue)

I have "Photoshop"(same version, same directory path) installed on my PC and my Surface.

My desire is to sync the "Photoshop" project files folder between my PC and Surface.

This way I have the most recent files from each project on hand at all times.

At current the only solution is to: A) copy all files to a USB drive and manually check time stamps at the risk of overwriting/losing some work or B) create a .zip archive via the "Photoshop" software, copy that to the tablet, then unzip the project files and it  takes an enormous amount of time.

I do NOT want to make it cloud based. i want it to be based over our wifi connection or usb 3.0 connection so that whenever i come into the office, (the PC is on and the tablet is on) the synced folders/files check for most recent time stamp and sync accordingly

#4 aaronpace

aaronpace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

Thanks guys. I think between SyncToy and BitTorrent Sync i may have found a solution

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:30 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

I haven't tried these but they appear to do what you want.

#6 aaronpace

aaronpace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:47 AM

Yes sir. between bit torrent sync and microsoft sync toy i am in business. Thanks!

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:49 AM

So you are looking for another program to sync between your pc and surface? I suppose any one of those programs would work. Here's another one http://tsr-soft.com/products/copy-changed-files/ As far as slow speeds issue. That all depends on the wireless/wired network speeds. So your solution USB to USB 3.0 is the best to sync the files from your pc to laptop. However, there will still be slow speeds. You can only transfer files as fast as the internal HD can read/write. Upgrading to SSD solves that problem.

#8 aaronpace

aaronpace
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:54 AM

Yes both devices are SSD.  I want passive syncing (modified files sync while i am attending to other matters.)

I will be using Microsoft sync toy or Bittorrent Sync.

The reason the project files are housed locally:

our office building is OLD. the infrastructure is outdated. We might be using cat 4. i know at best it is cat 5. Our outsourced IT "department"/guy is awful and we are in process of replacing him so he is of no assistance.

The issue is solved. thanks for your input.

#9 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,516 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 10:01 AM

Yes both devices are SSD.  I want passive syncing (modified files sync while i am attending to other matters.)

I will be using Microsoft sync toy or Bittorrent Sync.

The reason the project files are housed locally:

our office building is OLD. the infrastructure is outdated. We might be using cat 4. i know at best it is cat 5. Our outsourced IT "department"/guy is awful and we are in process of replacing him so he is of no assistance.

The issue is solved. thanks for your input.

Glad you got it worked out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users