Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Couple Of Tips And My Setup

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Synthhead

Synthhead

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:19 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 04:49 AM

You will probally be familiar with many of things that will be mentioned but i thought i share anyway because you might hear something new.
I will be updating this thread every time i remember something to add that might be useful.

So here is my setup and a couple of tips:

Kaspersky Internet Security (Cost)
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware(Free)
Malwarebytes Anti Exploit(Free)
SUPERAntiSpyware (Free)
Spybot Search & Destroy (Free)
Spywareblaster (Free)

Mozilla Firefox

Besides running unknown files on your computer making your computer infected, the two biggest seucirty risks are Adobe Flash and Java.
Having that said you might argue but sites are not functioning properly without those two, but the good news is there is a work around for just that.

Mozilla Firefox Addon called NoScript, i would not advice you to uinstall all of your security software but i can say this confidently having NoScript Addon installed takes care of almost everything including vulnerabilities not yet known by your Security softwares.

If you have Firefox Addons: Ghostery,DoNotTrackMe or anything similar you can uninstall them as you dont need them anymore with NoScript and besides my (Personal Thoughts) they smell very fishy.

As you may or not know, Google is a Ad Company, they are one of the biggest reasons you get bombarded with ads, as they collect information about you and your browsing habbits if you feel intimidated already it doesn't stop here they also sell the information they've collected to other companies. And NoScript are the only one that truely takes care of that spying unlike the fishy ones i mentioned above but if you really want to use something similar beside NoScript anyhow i suggest you go for Mozilla Lightbeam addon.

Anyhow instead of me rambling, with a bit of research you can find out much more about the benefits of NoScript, moving on to the next addon.

UserAgentSwitcher beside your ip adress, your computer has an additional fingerprint called User Agent which is letting the site you visit know what CPU you have what broswer you are using etc etc, with UserAgent you can change just that.

BetterPrivacy Beside cookies which you already are familiar with Adobe Flash have their own cookies that is called LSO. In case you didn't know since Microsoft bought skype it has also started to store LSO cookies.

HTTPS Everywhere Not all sites add http/https by deafault, anyhow you will not find this on Mozilla Addons you need to visit: https://www.eff.org/https-everywhere

And the last one everybody know but i will write about it anyway because i have some tips regarding it Adblock Plus if you have trouble writing filters for adblock there is an addition that lets you click what you want removed and simply remove it that way, it's called: Element Hiding Helper for Adblock Plus. The biggest and most frequently updated filters can be found here: https://www.fanboy.co.nz/ make sure you check the "help" tab and click on "Other Filters" to see the best ones, another thing you might know is that you can update adblock filters manualy more frequently by going to "Filter Preferences" and click "Ctrl+T" on selected filter.

And that's it for addons, lets move on to some great software.

Temp File Cleaner also know as TFC which you can find here on BleepingComputer.

Microsoft Sysinternal Great tools for monitoring everything that is happening in the background.

Zemana Antilogger encrypts all your typing, which you can find here on BleepingComputer, a side note: NoScript takes care of what premium version does
so dont waste your money.

From the same creator of Spywareblaster they also have another product called MRU-Blaster also free, which is another excellent software.

Firefox Tip: When you enter a site behind the adress there is a icon if you click it and click on "More Info" , "Permissions" Tab you will find a list of the following: Active Plugins, Access Your Location, Enter full Screen, Hide Mouse Pointer, Install Add-ons, Load Images, Maintain Offline Storage, Open Pop-up Windows, Set Cookies, Show Notifications, Use the Camera, Use The Microphone. and the Options Allways ask/Allow/Block.

Thank you for reading, hope you find it useful. :)

Edited by Synthhead, 25 October 2014 - 07:47 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:59 AM

Sorry for updating the the thread with a reply but can't see Edit button anymore.

Skype Tip: How to get rid of annoying Skype Ads on Windows sorry Mac/Linux users dont know how to do it on there.. So here is what you need to do: click on Start >Control Panel>Network And Internet>Internet Options>> Tab: Security> Restricted Sites> Then click on Sites add the following: https://apps.skype.com/chatadwidget and https://apps.skype.com/incalladwidget , https://apps.skype.com. Now restart Skype and you are done enjoy your ad free chat.

Improving Your Computers Performance On Windows7: If you are like me and don't care about fancy looking windows and want all the resources to be used at the right places here is what you can do to improve it: Start> Right Click: Computer Click on Properties > Advanced System Settings > Tab: Advanced Click Settings on Performance > Click On Adjust for best performance it will take a couple of seconds to load and then you are done. Note: Note its possible on other Windows OS just can't remember how that's why i named it windows7.

Edited by Synthhead, 29 October 2014 - 05:38 AM.

#3 Stolen

Stolen

• Members
  • 669 posts
  •  

Posted 16 November 2014 - 03:57 PM

thank you very much, Synthhead! All very useful :) 

I used both the 2 in your last post! 

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 10,578 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:19 PM

Posted 16 November 2014 - 07:43 PM

UserAgentSwitcher beside your ip adress, your computer has an additional fingerprint called User Agent which is letting the site you visit know what CPU you have what broswer you are using etc etc, with UserAgent you can change just that.

User-Agent Switcher for Chrome - Chrome Web Store

User Agent Switcher :: Add-ons for Firefox - Mozilla Add-ons

What's My User Agent?

Skype Ads on Linux users dont know how to do it on there

There are no adds in Skype for Linux.

Edited by NickAu1, 17 November 2014 - 03:59 PM.

#5 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 19 June 2015 - 11:58 AM

More than a year later sorry for late reply, glad you found some of it useful :) I'll update the thread with another useful tool, a addon for Mozilla Firefox called Clear Console description from Mozilla addon page:

About this Add-on

Clear Console addon provides options to clear your cookies, cache, history, html5/local storage, http logins, all of them or restart your browser in a single click

The addon also provides options to
- enable/disable notifications
- set preferences upon closing the browser

Edited by Synthhead, 19 June 2015 - 11:59 AM.

#6 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 29 June 2015 - 09:15 PM

There's a lot of talk about graphic cards which certainly is a very interesting area, however if we take games or movies as example the graphics is only 50% of the experience and the remaining 50% is SOUND, which is going to be the topic of this post.

I will keep it as simplistic as possible and not go into technical details and provide some useful information which is really hard without going technical, however i think there's a few things that can be said that the average person can benefit of.

What to think of when looking for a Soundcard , Speakers or Headphones: 

Before you decide i am going to buy these speakers or headphones, always try do a search online for: "Model Name + Frequency Response" The more linear it looks at the diagram the better it is, it should be upward sloping from the left side of the spectrum go up verticaly round off  then linearly going downward till the end and then sloping downward verticaly at the right side end.

Also look for "THD" also known as Total Harmonic Distortion the closer that is to 0 the better.

Things to avoid: Basicly everything that uses the terms Hi-Fi, THX which is just false marketing they just want your money.

Reading all this you may think well everything i find doesn't fit what is described here..

There's lots of different companies offering really great quality, that you will not find the regular stores.. Go to the closest stores that sells musical instruments etc, and ask them for the cheapest sound interface available. Not only do you save tons of money but even the cheapest you will find there is better than more expensive ones that you usually get with a computer, and the same thing is true for speakers and headphones.

Also before you get excited and go and buy something. I caution you don't waste your money if you can afford more expensive ones, i really mean the cheapest available is more than enough, as those are intended for people which work in that field you may think " Oh even better that's what i want" think twice, you will not make use of the capacity that comes with the more expensive ones.. So simply get the cheapest ones available for only listening to music, watching movies and playing games which ones again are many times better than any audio interface you will find elsewhere.

Anyhow enough of my ramble, hope you find it useful :)

#7 Sintharius

Sintharius

Bleepin' Sniper

• Members
  • 5,639 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:19 AM

Posted 30 June 2015 - 04:38 PM

Are you still using the setup mentioned in post #1? Because Spybot is no longer the king it was in its heyday - Malwarebytes and Emsisoft vastly outperforms it.

uBlock Origin is a good alternative to Adblock Plus. It is lighter, blocks both ads and scripts (which eliminates the need for NoScript), is available on both Firefox and Chrome, allows the use of custom filters (you can use filters based on hpHosts or MVPS Hosts without having to install these hosts files, for example), does not have a whitelist. IMO the only thing ABP is better than uBlock is that it supports IE, but it was minor.

#8 brainout

brainout

• Members
  • 1,190 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 12 July 2015 - 12:02 AM

Speaking of Firefox, there are three addons I can't live without, besides the ever-needed, Adblock Plus.  Made a video on them, here and here.  You can just look at the picture to see what they are, and ignore watching my always-boring talks. :)

Thank you for this thread, Synthhead, will try the other add-ons!

Edited by brainout, 12 July 2015 - 12:03 AM.

(Away, Notifications Off) AUDIT PREMISES, my guidon.  -- brainout or brainouty on vimeo or Youtube, domain brainout.net

#9 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 22 August 2015 - 05:14 AM

Are you still using the setup mentioned in post #1? Because Spybot is no longer the king it was in its heyday - Malwarebytes and Emsisoft vastly outperforms it.

uBlock Origin is a good alternative to Adblock Plus. It is lighter, blocks both ads and scripts (which eliminates the need for NoScript), is available on both Firefox and Chrome, allows the use of custom filters (you can use filters based on hpHosts or MVPS Hosts without having to install these hosts files, for example), does not have a whitelist. IMO the only thing ABP is better than uBlock is that it supports IE, but it was minor.

Thank you for the tip, although there's one important thing to point out.. There are some sites that will not work unless you allow some harmful scripts to have the site fully working.. In NoScript you can allow those scripts without any damage done, as a example take google-analytics you can allow that script fool that site into fully working whilst all they get is 0, completely blank file no data at all collected, also known as Surrogates in NoScript.

I knew about uBlock at first glance i was tempted to switch i did a bit more comparisons, but maybe i missed something if you can do what i described in uBlock i might actually try it, but until then it's only NoScript for me..

#10 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 24 March 2016 - 01:24 PM

As you may or not know there has been alot of controversial talk about Win10 and privacy concerns, Safer-networking the founders of Spybot - Search And Destroy.
Has released Spybot Anti-Beacon which takes care of some of those concerns Note: It's not only for Windows 10.

#11 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:28 AM

Firefox Tip: Stop sites from forcing their own fonts on you when browsing the world wide web.
To do that paste or click this URL in firefox: about:preferences#content

Under Font & Colors click on Advanced Tab, uncheck the checkbox for Allow pages to choose their own fonts, instead of my selections above

That's it, now enjoy your favorite font and font size on all sites :) hope you found it useful

Edited by Synthhead, 02 June 2016 - 05:30 AM.

#12 oldguyjesse67

oldguyjesse67

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  

Posted 06 June 2016 - 05:42 PM

Thanks for the info and tips, sure this will come in handy soon enough :)

#13 Synthhead

Synthhead
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2017 - 06:15 AM

Editing Host file without any additional software and failures.
To do this do the following:

First open any folder of your choice.
After you have done that click on organize left corner of the window.
A drop down menu will appear, now click on Folders and Search options.
Once you clicked on it another window will appear with 3 Tabs: General,View and Search.
And now for the last part for preparing to edit the Host file, Uncheck the checkbox called Hide Extensions For Known File Types.

And now the Host part, Click Start > Computer > C:/ Drive (Your Main Drive With OS on it) > Click Windows (Folder) > System32 (Folder) > Drivers (Folder) > etc (Folder). And now you see the Host file, now all you have to do is copy the original Host file and paste it on Desktop.. Note the difference now is that the file extension will appear once you paste it..
At this step you have to rename your Host file. Right Click the Host file and click on Rename,  HINT : Do not delete the name, all you have to do is add to it the following: .txt

The last step now, all you have to do after renaming the Host file is right click it and open with: Notepad
Once you have edited your host file, now simply save the document host.txt.. Close it. Now do the following: Rename your host file to what it was originally by removing .txt
we added earlier.

And now for the final step. Simply copy the file you have modified on the desktop.. And replace with the Host file in the original folder.

And you nailed it, hope you find it useful

#14 hamluis

hamluis

• 54,293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:19 AM

Posted 07 November 2017 - 03:48 PM

The Hosts File and what it can do for you - http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/tutorial51.html

Beginner Geek How To Edit Your Hosts File - http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/27350/beginner-geek-how-to-edit-your-hosts-file/

Hosts File FAQ - http://www.mvps.org/winhelp2002/hostsfaq.htm

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users