Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Zorbuntu - Frankenstein Lives!

• Please log in to reply
111 replies to this topic

#1 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:11 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:43 AM

This Topic may have a limited shelf life, dependent on when a solution is found - or it may go on.

Below is a screenshot of the default desktop wallpaper for Zorin 9 Core 64-bit (with a few of my icons on it) … or is it???

uviIxxI.png

Note where my mouse pointer is, I will come back to that.

Also, below, is a screenshot following my attempt to document this Topic in a LibreOffice Writer doc, detailing what has transpired.

pyPbG8V.png

Observe the free space in this Partition, captured by right-clicking in an empty spot:

MaBJJGh.png

Now what if I were to say to you:

1. This is not the Zorin I installed, for which I carved off 100GB (93Gib) from one of my partitions
  2. I no longer have Ubuntu 14.04.1 LTS aka Trusty Tahr, to which I had allocated nearly 1TB (985+ TiB)
  3. I have now got two flavours combining attributes of both Ubuntu and Zorin, both working, but neither in pristine form
  4. I did not do this knowingly

What would you say?

For now, I am calling this "Zorbuntu", but I will post considerably more after a good night's sleep

Cheers and Keep Smilin' :wink:

:wizardball:

wizardfromoz

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 heyyou325

heyyou325

• Members
  • 328 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:11 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 09:58 AM

With my totally amateur status not in jeopardy, and proving I know nothing.  With both zorin usung ubuntu14.04 enough to have their LTS, I would think the 2 operating systems would be close enough to merge.  But which desktop do you have?  If this works, you may be able to name a distro after you, at least a beta one.  I might be able to find apps on ubuntu  that way.  After all these months, I think I prefer the dropdown or up menu.

Edited by heyyou325, 25 October 2014 - 10:02 AM.

#3 Al1000

Al1000

• Global Moderator
  • 7,595 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:11 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

Very neat. Does Zorbuntu have menus?

One thing that put me off Ubuntu was its lack of menus, but now that I've been using Kubuntu for a while I rarely open applications from the menu anyway, since it's quicker to just type the name of the application in the box, like one would do in Dash on Ubuntu...

#4 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:30 AM

Ta for the input heyyou325 and Al1000.

Part 2 of the Saga commences below

#5 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

PART 2

The desktop for Zorbuntu is the standard Zorin Gnome desktop using the default (Windows 7 style) look and feel. The AWN (Avant Window Navigator – for Linux Mint users read “Panel”) is by default at the bottom of the screen, in other words, it is sans Ubuntu's Unity Launcher and Dash.

The only change in place is the Zorbuntu's AWN is on Auto-hide, which I did not set, but I had Unity set that way to maximise Firefox website viewing.

4rESl3N.png

The first three icons are default, the rest I have added.

Standard Zorin Menu bottom left as shown

nHFw2gW.png

Down to the Cog (or Settings) menu at bottom right of screen we have the Zorin standard as follows:

e32aXC1.png

Standard (for me) Zorin settings, 10 items, and clicking on the entry highlighted in the classic Zorin blue, we find:

rAaDup7.png

Note the Disk Size, as it ties in with some of the above observations.

Highlighting Default Applications results in this:

Zziuv7s.png

… which appears to be standard … or IS it?

Clicking on Photos Image Viewer's right-hand corner displays a submenu as follows:

EBeVgVz.png

and is interesting for having not one but two instances of Wine Internet Explorer – haven't tried either yet, but will. However, I have not activated Wine in either Zorbuntu nor in Real Zorin, but I did have it on my Unity Launcher under Ubuntu.

The same test applied to Real Zorin shows the following, default:

GeCB0zW.png

... Shutter, perhaps Gimp, I may have added.

I am pretty dazed and confused after all this diagnostic effort, so will wrap up for now.

In Part 3 of the Saga, I will provide background history to these events, Gparted partition data, and let you know about an App I have on all Distros, which MAY be related to the phenomenon.

Meanwhile, I will welcome any input, and try to answer questions on the material provided so far.

Keep Smilin' :wink:

#6 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:29 PM

I will provide background history to these events,

The suspense is killing me.

Hmm,

and is interesting for having not one but two instances of Wine Internet Explorer

Are the 2 distro's sharing the same home folder?  I have no idea, just guessing.

Edited by NickAu1, 26 October 2014 - 08:12 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

The BleepingComputer Official Discord Chat Server!

#7 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:25 AM

Lol, saw your post before you edited it - talk about asking for a spoiler.

The suspense is killing me.

Not half as much as it is killing me. Trouble finds me - it is a gift.

Are the 2 distro's sharing the same home folder?

Nope.

Only link I have so far to what may have caused the birth of this baby is Timeshift.

I have set in train the process to have Tony George or his people contact me about the issue as to whether I made a boo-boo or whether there is a bug in TS.

I am likewise putting out feelers to the Devs of both Ubuntu (Canonical) and Zorin as to whether they are interested. Linux Mint may be interested, too, as I have witnessed today a glimmer that might suggest it has a presence in Zorbuntu, but I have yet to do the maths.

Lots more to come, be patient, please, I may seem normal ( :hysterical: :hysterical: ) but I have 8 mental disorders and cannot be rushed, I have to work to a method.

You, my friend, as a user of both Aptik and Timeshift could answer me a couple of questions:

1. Have you had occasion to use TS to restore your system to a prior state, using a TS restore point previously set?
  2. Desired outcome achieved, if not, any probs - please detail

Don't hit any panic buttons yet re TS -, it may be perfectly OK, time will tell.

I will post more as I can.

Keep Smilin' :wink:

Wizard

"Though this be madness, yet there is method in 't." - Polonius, under his breath, of Hamlet

Edited typo

Edited by wizardfromoz, 27 October 2014 - 03:26 AM.

#8 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 05:20 PM

Just a Holding Post - been busy helping someone else for a couple of days, and more work to do there.

NEWSFLASH - I have received an email back from Tony George in India. Tony is the Dev for apps such as Aptik and Timeshift, also Conky Manager. Ifyou have the teejeetech ppa in your repositories, that's Tony's.

Tony said:

BULrdrx.png

and I sent back

1tN4bn5.png

I have also put in an email to Artyom Zorin, whom it may not surprise you to find is the originator of and Lead Developer for, Zorin Linux. I am hoping to hear from him next few days.

Next up will be to contact the Devs for Ubuntu, whom are a little more difficult to track down. While I am doing that, I will post more details on Zorbuntu here.

Stay tuned

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:53 PM

If you have the teejeetech ppa in your repositories, that's Tony's.

Yes I have a few PPA's from Tony,  TeeJee Tech

IMHO it's a trusted source for PPA's.

Edited by NickAu1, 31 October 2014 - 06:53 PM.

Arch Linux .

Come join the fun, chat to Bleeping computer members and staff in real time on Discord.

#10 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:10 PM

I asked previously

You, my friend, as a user of both Aptik and Timeshift could answer me a couple of questions:

1. Have you had occasion to use TS to restore your system to a prior state, using a TS restore point previously set?
  2. Desired outcome achieved, if not, any probs - please detail

Don't hit any panic buttons yet re TS -, it may be perfectly OK, time will tell.

Can you let me know?

IMHO it's a trusted source for PPA's.

I am not saying that it isn't.

But Timeshift features in the birth process of Zorbuntu, hence my contacting the top man. I will be detailing more over the weekend.

#11 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 10:28 PM

Yes.

Desired outcome achieved, if not, any probs - please detail

It worked exactly as described. I just hit the restore button and TS took care of it.

For me it worked great and I think I will recommend it to others, With 1 caveat as long as you do not dual boot for now.

Please note.

I do not dual boot,

The only operating system on my pc is Ubuntu 14.04, On a solid state drive. When I did it I noticed that it also did grub restore, I wonder if that is what caused it, Grub was reconfigured with restore and there is some sort of mixup. Or because you have Ubuntu and Zorin, Both buntu based maybe TS restored the wrong OS.

2udx5w1.png

Edited by NickAu1, 31 October 2014 - 10:32 PM.

Arch Linux .

#12 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 02:44 AM

Thanks heaps for that Nick, I needed the input from a fellow TS user, outside of my own environment, to make sense of what I have experienced.

I take what you say on board, re dual-booting, and related Distro builds re parentage.

Food for thought.

If I can ask another favour?:

If you go into Files Computer, and then to /timeshift/snapshots and double-click the one for today's entry, you will find an instance of rsync-log.

Double click that and you may be presented with a file that is many thousands of lines long - 65,000 in some cases.

I am interested in your first line and your last couple of lines - can you please provide?

Cheers

#13 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,093 posts
  •  

Posted 01 November 2014 - 05:02 AM

I am interested in your first line

2014/10/21 15:30:56 [13538] building file list

last couple of lines

2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Number of deleted files: 0
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Number of regular files transferred: 143,524
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Total file size: 6,769,753,648 bytes
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Total transferred file size: 6,766,665,862 bytes
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Literal data: 6,766,665,862 bytes
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Matched data: 0 bytes
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] File list size: 7,077,012
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] File list generation time: 0.001 seconds
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] File list transfer time: 0.000 seconds
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Total bytes sent: 6,783,625,521
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] Total bytes received: 3,027,607
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] sent 6,783,625,521 bytes  received 3,027,607 bytes  103,613,024.85 bytes/sec
2014/10/21 15:32:01 [13538] total size is 6,769,753,648  speedup is 1.00

Arch Linux .

#14 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,013 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:11 AM

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:09 AM

Wiz, if all goes well, you may best the best of both worlds, and possibly, mistake, accident or coincidence, made a huge discovery. 

If this morphed OS runs good over a few weeks, considering that the OS's are open source, you may have your own custom version to release.....that is, if you can correct a few things, such as Zorin's branding emblems being removed & replaced with that of your own........then the matter of creating an ISO image for download. Things way above my head. 

I'm also not sure if you could name it anything ending in "buntu", the parent company, Canonical, Ltd. (Ubuntu Community) & would have to remove their names & trademarks also. However, the Ubuntu Software Center has been on a few Linux based OS's not bearing the "buntu" name, though it's been awhile since I've seen it, because I guess being settled in Mint. 

Though I was considering having one Ubuntu 14.04 LTS, after careful thought, I decided not to. The Amazon adverts of the past played a part in my decision, the abandoning of the Ubuntu One storage for many was another. Ubuntu has a meaning & is why the name was chosen, which translates roughly to "human kindness"  or "humanity". The dumping of the Ubuntu One offerings, which many used for free, shows that their actions speaks louder than their words. They still have solutions for their subscription based customers & supplement their income with that Amazon adware that's installed. 

Yes, it can be disabled & probably removed (there's no EULA to Ubuntu usage), but chances are, only those who participates on forums knows, and surely there's no on site tutorials as to how to disable this. 

Actually through Wubi, Ubuntu was the first Linux OS that I ran in 2009, and this was when the devs were pushing the humanity being behind the name, and I did run it as a dual boot or on external drive a few more times later.....when they were shipping CD's for free (I still have them). It had a cleaner Start Menu in those days & was the #1 Linux distro by far. The Start Menu wasn't placed in the same position, but was similar to what Linux Mint is today. 

Seems like they went with Unity around the same timeframe that Windows 8 was released, so it looks like both brands were trying to outdo one another to see who could confuse it's userbase the worst. Both Unity & the Modern UI of Windows (initially to be called "Metro"), delivered just that, heaps of confusion. Well, in the end, Linux Mint was the largest benefactor over that, as they decided not to fix what wasn't broken, and usershare skyrocketed. 

That's the history of that. 

Now, if all goes well, and you can cleanup some branding & create your own, you'll be set for life. One thing that I don't recommend, is to send a copy of what you have to them, nor any other Linux developer. If You can get this thing running smooth, who knows what you may have. 

Take advantage of opportunity, if you've indeed created something new & propel your way to a better future for yourself & family. 

This is the advantage of working outside of the walls of Windows. If you had done this with one of their OS's, the content would likely be removed from this forum (because of the EULA), and MS would be screaming for it. And gunning for you with copyright infringement charges. 

Or maybe even hire you as part of their developing team, because honestly, theirs is crap. I'm not dogging the OS, nor the users of it (I'll never do the latter, the founding father of Linux meant for us to have choice), but their last two releases, Windows 8 & 8.1 was garbage & if it weren't for Windows 7 & Office 2010 users, MS would be bankrupt. Since the turn of the century, or the Millennium, that's two blockbuster OS's they released, the other being XP in 2001. Office has had some good releases. 

On the Linux side, at a minimum, a blockbuster Ubuntu LTS release is every 2-3 years, and other versions has their similar supported versions, of which some of those are also popular. Google OS is also a Linux variant, but the way they've done it, it has to be installed on their hardware. Plus it's not a full fledged OS, rather a browser based one. And it's a combination of the small & large folks who has built up the Linux name. I expect Linux to break 2 to 3% usershare by the end of next year, if not before, the share is still adding numbers daily. 

Who knows, you just may have added another choice.  :guitar:

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#15 wizardfromoz

wizardfromoz
  • Topic Starter

• Banned
  • 2,799 posts
  •  

Posted 06 November 2014 - 03:38 AM

I had some ideas: eg

"NAME THE BABY - COMPETITION

Shall we call my illegitimate love child:

• ZorBuntu (ZB)

• Morph from Orph (orphully surprising to me, and it's alien)

• TMND – Teenage Mutant Ninja Distro- Hero in a half-Shell

• or something else?

Cast your votes, if you like, when you post input – 1st prize will be a dinner for two with my wife and me at the Steakhouse at the High Street Motor Inn, in Stanthorpe, southeast Queensland, Australia (airfares not included). The winner must claim the prize by or before New Year's Eve 2015.

The competition commences as at the date of the posting of this Topic, and closes New Year's Eve 2014, at midnight AEST (Australian Eastern Standard Time – UMT + 10). Result will be chosen by the Judges – my wife and I – and will be final. No correspondence will be entered into.

2nd prize – there is no 2nd prize. Crikey, I'm on a Disability Pension, what do you expect?"

I quite liked the Turtles option because it was all starting around the time of the Bash Bug (Shell Shock) so I thought heroes in a half shell was appropriate?

Working on the baby and its siblings/cousins at the moment changing video drivers and compiling notes to establish similarities/differences

Gotta cook tea now, but later

Cheers

:wizardball: Wizard

Trouble finds me

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users