Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Laptop Can't seem to handle as many processes anymore.

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Bad-People

• Members
  • 89 posts
  • Local time:12:05 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:42 AM

Not that long ago I could have 3 PDFs, 2 web browsers, and a video player all open at once and my laptop would handle that no problem. Now if I have half that open it wants to freeze up or crash. Is this normal?

Vista Home Basic

Toshiba Satellite L305

32-bit OS

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  • Local time:06:35 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:27 AM

as usual the O.S. is short on memory  2gig is the dead minimum to run the system

you should upgrade to 4gig memory which is the performance level your wanting.

Also check in the task manager the performance tab cpu% and memory available for the system to run your programs.

at the desktop with no program run by you.

also enter msconfig and see what program files have loaded at startup.if you don't need some programs to run at startup untick the check boxes

do not stop system files from running at startup. Also check "C" drive space available in computer

#3 jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:50 AM

Now if I have half that open it wants to freeze up or crash. Is this normal?

It could either be a faulty drive, outdated software, needed or missing windows and driver updates, infection or thermal events.

Try downloading Speccy and then install the program.  To post and publish a snapshot of your PC.
. In the Menu bar, click File -> Publish Snapshot
. Click Yes > then Copy to Clipboard
. On your next reply, right-click on a empty space and click Paste on reply box then click Post.

Download SecurityCheck.exe from Here

. Run SecurityCheck and follow the instruction from inside the code box.
. When the scan is finished, a notepad will automatically open as check.txt
   Please copy and paste the contents here on your next reply.

Download MiniToolBox and run the program. Select
List Last 10 Event Viewers, List Installed Programs and List Users, Partitions and Memory Size then click Go.
A notepad will open then copy-paste the report on your next reply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users