Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

IP Adress

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Superego2014

Superego2014

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:30 AM

My manager at work has told me that our IT department can see what we post on public forums through our IP addresses? Is this possible? I have posted quite personal information on forums while at work on my work PC I am now very worried that my IT department are looking at what I thought were my anonymous posts. Apologies if this is a stupid question I know NOTHING about computers. Thanks.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:22 PM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 06:22 PM

Yes, it is possible.

#3 Superego2014

Superego2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:31 AM

Yes, it is possible.

#4 Superego2014

Superego2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 04:33 AM

Is this not against data protection laws? I thought this was private? How can my identity as a poster be discovered so easily?

#5 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:22 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

Well, put it this way. When you are at work you are expected to be at work and not posting personal stuff on forums.

If you are using a work computer it is not unreasonable that your employers IT department keep a record of what goes in and out, if only to provide evidence in the event of some future dispute. If you are using a personal computer / tablet /  smartphone that would be a different matter, but that might raise different problems for you.

If I were you, I would take this as a word to the wise.

Chris Cosgrove

#6 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:20 PM

Not knowing where you are from I can only tell you that according to US law. Whoever owns the bandwidth controls it. If you are using your employers data/Internet connection they have every right to know whats on it. At the router level that can see every outbound bit of traffic. They can trace your traffic to your specific machine. As Chris Cosgrove has already mentioned.

In the future it's best to assume that everything you say and do on the web is seen by someone somewhere. And if you are using your employers connection thats almost a given and included in your employment contract. If it's not, your employer is not very media/IT savvy and at risk of expensive litigation.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#7 Superego2014

Superego2014
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:52 PM

Thanks for your replies. I know now not to post anything personal while on my work PC but what I'm still trying to understand is can my IT department only see the web pages I visit or can they know with 100% certainty that I have posted on a forum under a specific user name? I.e can they look at posts from username teddybear5 for example and link those specific posts to my computer? Thanks!

#8 Animal

Animal

Bleepin' Animinion

• Site Admin
  • 35,559 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:22 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 03:08 PM

Not knowing the capabilities of your particular IT department thats impossible to say with any amount of certainty. But it is not all that difficult to do with the right equipment and skill set. So you can probably assume the worst.

The Internet is so big, so powerful and pointless that for some people it is a complete substitute for life.
Andrew Brown (1938-1994)

A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." Douglas Adams (1952-2001)

"Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination circles the world." Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

Follow BleepingComputer on: Facebook | Twitter | Google+

#9 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,415 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:22 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 04:00 PM

My manager at work has told me that our IT department can see what we post on public forums through our IP addresses? Is this possible

If you are using a work computer it is not unreasonable that your employers IT department keep a record of what goes in and out

All our work computers are keylogged, We are even reminded of this daily, every time I punch in my user name and password a little box pops up with a warning that every keystroke is being recorded, Cell Phones are not allowed past the staffroom same for personal laptops/ tablets, and all are subject to inspections at any time of day, To be allowed to visit a site like this from the building means the site has to be pre approved,  and there is no WiFi. I had to apply to the IT dep to be able to connect my Linux laptop to the network ( what a hassle).

Is this not against data protection laws? I thought this was private?

You explain that to the security people at my work, They are the big guys with guns attack dog's  and no sense of humour.

Where I work there is no such thing as privacy, We are drug and alcohol tested, We are subject to random searches, To enter the actual work place from the staff area you go thru a metal detector,  We cant just use any bag or brief case, This includes women's handbags, This is the only type allowed, It must be see thru.

rv8rpk.jpg

So, Yes, it is possible.

Edited by NickAu1, 27 October 2014 - 04:05 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users