Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Back Up Questions

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 ryrhino

ryrhino

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

I have a 500 GB external hard drive.  This was the size hard drive I could afford. I have been using AOMEI Backupper free to do weekly differential hard drive backups. In order to gain more space on the external which backup should I delete first? The ones that were done a few months ago or the most recent one? How long should I keep the differential back ups? How long should I keep the system backups? I have a system backup from 4/2014. Do I still need to save it? Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Scoop8

Scoop8

• Members
  • 326 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:54 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:03 AM

Hi

I don't use AOMEI* or Differential Backups but what I'd probably do is:

- Keep your system backup (I'm assuming that you're referring to a full-HDD backup) from 4/2014 in a separate folder/location.  You'll have that one for your failsafe recovery option if needed.

- Delete at least half of your weekly Differential backup files, starting with the oldest file.  That should free up a lot of your external HDD space.

Since you're doing weekly Differential backups, you'll still have numerous point-in-time restore options available.

Do you have more than 1 full-HDD backup stored on your external HDD?  If so, that's probably where a lot of your HDD space if being used.

* I've read about AOMEI and am impressed with what I've read about it since it provides Differential and Incremental backups with their Free version.  There's also an option which is important to me, to create the "Rescue" media, CD/Flash Drive, with WinPE.

I'd probably be using AOMEI if I hadn't been using a paid backup tool that I bought 3 years ago and a 2nd Freeware "Macrium Reflect".

#3 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:54 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

My advice is have as many backups as possible. With system image like backups, keep your oldest and newest ones. those in the middle can be got rid of, as the oldest ones are most likely not to contain infections and the newest contain the system configuration that is most similar to how you have it now (i assume you are happy with it in it's current state). You don't need many system image backups, just an old clean one incase of later malware infections and one or two up to date ones. You only need to make anew system image backp after making a significant change to your system settings or installed programs, and onyl then if you think that change has gone well a few weeks after making it. With backups of files, these are more important and should be made more regularly. Old ones should not be written over but new ones made on new drives, there are some free online services you can use for backups, there are also plenty of simple USB flash drives for sale and external harddrives that work on the same USB "copy and paste files across" principle. Backps of personal files (documents, video, audio, images, zip archives) only need creating when you change something, you should create more than one backup of these files at any point. WHen you change an important personal file (one that you put a lot of work into, one you find really useful and valuable, something you downloaded from the internet that took ages to find, something you downloaded from the internet that is no longer aviailable online) put one backup of it onto a removable drive (usb, cd-rw, dvd or external harddrive) and one into an online service (like saving as an attachment within an email account). Don't use a tool to make regular backups, do it yourself, make some time in which to do it.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#4 ryrhino

ryrhino
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 61 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:54 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

I do monthly full system back ups.  How many of these do should I keep? If I should keep more than one of them which ones do I keep?

I do keep personal files on my external and also on cloud storage. 

Thanks for the advice given so far.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users