Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer very slow, possible registry problem

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 wicky

wicky

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:07 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

This computer is an antique, so it has always been a bit slower than I am accustomed to, but it has gotten slower than before.  I keep the programs to a minimum, and do regular spyware/adware removal as well as regular maintenance.  Recently, however, my antivirus stopped working.  Attempts to get it to work again brought up an error message (see photo) and working with Avast support elicited the information that there was a problem with my registry. 

Have attached some screen shots that I am hoping will help in case I haven't described the issues well enough:

Attached Files

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:07 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:25 PM

I hope you didn't pay for avast's third party support and let them take control of the computer. The first thing they do is tell you there are problems in the registry.

The first problem is you are still running XP SP2. You should update that to SP3. I would download SP3.

Before installing it I would clean the computer of all temp files, defrag the disk and then uninstall avast.

Too clean the computer of temp files, click start > Run and type %temp% . Do this for each account on the computer. If you do not have it, install CCleaner and do a cleanup. Do not use the registry cleaner.

If you updated to the latest version of avast which is 2015 that could be a problem too.

After installing SP3 you will have quite a few security updates to download.

Having SP2 on the computer opens you up to all kinds of security problems. In fact, support for XP has ended and no additional security updates will be given.

#3 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 05:41 AM

Yeah, there's a problem with that suggestion, unfortunately.  The IE browser on this computer is out of date as well...I never use it...and Microsoft is doing a round robin on me.  I can't use their update service until I update IE, and I can't update IE because I'm not running their newest OS.  So, I have to find some way to find and fix whatever is wrong by some alternate means.  This poor computer can't handle any upgrades, even if I had the money to buy them.  

Oh, and no, I didn't pay avast any $$...but they did try to sell me on it!

Edited by wicky, 28 October 2014 - 05:43 AM.

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:09 PM

You can download the latest IE for XP here, If it still does not let you upate then download the latest Microsoft Update Agent here.

If you have an OEM you may have the option to do a complete factory reset that would take the computer back to a factory state. All data you have added would need to be backed up and any software installed after purchase would need to be reinstalled. What is the make and model of the computer?

#5 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 28 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

not sure...it was my daughters, and she told me it was a compaq, but I have no way to be positive that's what it is.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,009 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:27 AM

The model number of a laptop can be determined using the steps here.

#7 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:07 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:41 PM

- The fact that you got only Service Pack 2 installed suggests that there's something wrong with the feature called Windows Update on your system.

- Do you still have the Windows XP installation disc ? It would allow you to re-install Windows XP.

- Use Piriform's Speccy (File, Publish Snapshot) to make a snapshot of your system & post the weblink to that snapshot in your next reply. 

#8 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:59 PM

JohnC_21, on 29 Oct 2014 - 04:27 AM, said:

The model number of a laptop can be determined using the steps here.

This is a desk top.

Willy22

Posted Today, 01:41 PM

- The fact that you got only Service Pack 2 installed suggests that there's something wrong with the feature called Windows Update on your system.

- Do you still have the Windows XP installation disc ? It would allow you to re-install Windows XP.

- Use Piriform's Speccy (File, Publish Snapshot) to make a snapshot of your system & post the weblink to that snapshot in your next reply.

Don't understand what it is you want me to screenshot.  I need a specific area reference.

Edited by wicky, 29 October 2014 - 07:05 PM.

#9 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

Download here Speccy:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/speccy/

#10 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:58 AM

Two people appear to be trying to help, but that leaves me a bit confused about whose instructions to follow and when.  I need for only one of you to be telling me what to do, please.

#11 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

- Publish a snapshot with Speccy:

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/311593-speccy-publish-snapshot-your-system-specs.html

#12 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:07 PM

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/4LBzb2rYVQVlsUSJ0EmwZWC

#13 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:48 PM

- Antiquated ? Indeed. (1999)

- What happened to the optical disk drive ? do you still have the Original XP installation disk ?

- The amount of memory is very low (376 MB). Can you increase the amount of memory in your system ?

#14 wicky

wicky
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 144 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

no idea what an optical disk drive actually is...but if it isn't there now, it wasn't there when I got the computer.  As for the amount of memory, I have no idea how to do that, or even if it can be done.  Since this comp originally had Windows 98, yes, I do have the XP disk...but reinstalling it will still leave me with the same problems.

#15 Willy22

Willy22

• Members
  • 945 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 04:31 PM

- The low amount of memory seems to be the most likely reason Windows XP is refusing to update. Your browser isn't too old (IE 8). I did GOOGLE a bit but it didn't yield any useful information on how to increase the memory in your system.

- An optical drive allows you to read the XP installation disk and re-install Windows XP, when needed.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users