Laptop is a Lenovo V570 with Window 7 Home Premium.
A friend of mine was using my laptop and installed a photo program called Gimpshop. He restarted the comp and then right after the Welcome screen it goes black and only shows the mouse pointer. I could move the pointer but nothing else worked.
I was able to boot into safe mode with networking. That's how I'm on here posting. Safe mode seems to work fine.
- I ran a scan with Superantispyware and it found a bunch of stuff. Deleted it all. Ran another scan and it found nothing.
- I then ran a scan of Malwarebytes and it found a few things. Deleted them all. Ran another scan and it found nothing.
- I then ran a scan with AdwCleaner and it found 2 or 3 things. Deleted them all. Ran another scan and it found nothing.
Then for the hell of it I ran another scan of the three and nothing was found.
- Ran scannow from a command prompt. It found nothing.
- Ran Start Up Repair from Windows Recovery disc. No problems. Also, I come to find out that System Restore was turned off. I thought it had alwys been on, so I have no system restore images to revert to.
Lenovo has a One Key Recovery Program but it can't run in safe mode.
So at this point if I try to start it up in normal mode it will start up and get to the Welcome screen. Then it would normally go to the logon screen, but it doesn't. It goes from the Welcome screen to the desktop. I get all icons and the desktop looks like it normally does. At that point I have a mouse pointer I can move but that's it. Clicking on anything does nothing and the HD activity light flashes at a steady pace about every second or two.
I don't think it's anything with the HD since I can post in here, surf the web, open files and run some programs.
I've done a ton of reading on this issue and I'm still somewhat stumped on what to try next. Any help would be greatly appreciated.