Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble booting from disk after installation of new hard drive

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 CBermudez0415

CBermudez0415

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:37 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

I recently bought a new hard drive and didn't have the boot disk for my computer with me. So what I did was download the ISO files and put them on a disk. When I booted everything back up I get a message after the alienware splash screen that says

Intel UNDI, PXE-2.0 (build 083)
Copyright © 1997-2000 Intel Corporation

For Atheros PCIE Ethernet Controller v2.02.6(9/28/10)

Check cable connection!
PXE-MOF: Exiting Intel PXE ROM.
No bootable device -- insert boot disk and press any key

I booted it up with and without the disk in the optical drive to see if any method would work with no effect. I looked it up and some people were saying that if you have a bad battery it will prevent the boot process? So I'm curious what you guys have to say

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:56 PM

It could be a bad CMOS battery but it will also give that same error on a clean hard drive with no OS. How did you burn the iso file. You cannot just have an iso file on a disk and it be bootable. You need to burn the iso in Windows 7 by right click and selecting Burn Image or use a software program like Imgburn to burn the image. Isoburner also works.

You said iso files. How many did you download and what were they of?

#3 CBermudez0415

CBermudez0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:04 PM

Oh right I forgot that step. Dang it was just the windows 7 file I feel dumb I have it in a USB format dangit well now I have no computer to get it in iso format. I might have to find someone I can get it from. Anyway what's the CMOS battery

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:17 PM

It's usually a small button battery CR2032 that is used to save the settings in BIOS and attached to the motherboard. From your description, I wouldn't worry about it yet. What computer are you using to post. You have the iso file on a USB flash drive? We can copy the iso file from the flash drive to the computer and then make the Flash drive bootable instead of a CD.

#5 CBermudez0415

CBermudez0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:13 PM

Well right now I'm posting from my phone. And I have the file on a disk it's just the OS so its not anything that can't be found online I just have nowhere to get it again

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:31 PM

So you do have the Windows 7 install disk?  Is the old hard drive still functional. If the computer is an OEM, you could get the Windows key using produkey and then download the iso for Windows 7 that was on  your previous hard drive.

#7 CBermudez0415

CBermudez0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:37 PM

Well the old drive is corrupted but I opened it up just out of curiosity and I saw a big smudge on the disk. How it got there I have no idea cause that was the first time it was even out of my computer. I cleaned it and closed it back up but when I put it back in it gave me the same message so yeah

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Opening a drive should only be done in a clean room so the drive is probably toast. But, it may be worth a try to retrieve the key by attaching it to another computer.

#9 CBermudez0415

CBermudez0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

Well I just need to borrow a computer I guess I might be able to get one tomorrow I'll get the disk burned and try it again if it still doesn't work I'll post.

#10 CBermudez0415

CBermudez0415
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 55 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 01:58 AM

Good news, I got everything set up in my new HDD But I'm missing the PCI Device. I don't quite know what that is and why device manager is telling me to download it. If there's anything I need to do I'm open to anything.

Edited by CBermudez0415, 29 October 2014 - 02:06 AM.

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 23,248 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

PCI device. I am not sure what that would be unless there is a problem with the PCI ports. Right click the device and select Properties. Under the Details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line in your next post.

#12 Plastic Nev

Plastic Nev

• Members
  • 89 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 08:24 AM

If you can get the computer on line, and you know either the computers make and model number, or the motherboard make and model number, you should be able to get all the drivers for it from the manufacturers site. If you do, start with the chipset drivers first to be installed.

Windows will have installed the generic drivers for a lot of the hardware already, however other drivers will be needed, but the chipset should be installed first, then all others after that.

Nev.

Why all the fuss, I already have Windows 8. Three windows at the front, and five at the back since I bought the house.
Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users