Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Creating bootable win8 disks problem

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:50 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:25 PM

I am trying to create 2 dvd's with win8 pro [32 and 64bits] and 2 with win8.1 from this link:

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/download-windows-8-pro/

I installed Magiciso utility to make sure the win8 iso file is bootable and created the disk in imgburn but when I tried it this morning, the system would not boot from the disk but boots fine from another disk with win8 on it, any ideas please?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

If you have the iso file for Windows 8.1 use Rufus to crate a bootable USB. But, for the partition scheme use GPT in the dropdown box and see if that works.

#3 LenovoUser

LenovoUser

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:50 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:43 PM

I have always had success using Microsoft's link:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/create-reset-refresh-media

It will guide you through the process. 

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

If you have the iso file for Windows 8.1 use Rufus to crate a bootable USB. But, for the partition scheme use GPT in the dropdown box and see if that works.

Hey John, I am trying to create "disks", to clarify your instructions are for usb flash drives?

#5 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 07:56 AM

I only gave another option that could create a bootable install USB flash drive instead of using a DVD disk. Rufus may work where Imgburn did not. Are the iso files you downloaded bootable or did you have to add a boot image file with Magiciso to make the iso bootable? It's also possible one iso was a bad download. Was the MD5 hash on the file that did not boot identical to what is shown on your link?

#6 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:50 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Just for the heck of it I downloaded the 64-bit ISO.  I used Rufus to put it on a flashdrive and tested it to see if it would boot.  I found I had to set the UEFI to Legacy to make it boot.  Maybe you should try that.

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:24 AM

Just for the heck of it I downloaded the 64-bit ISO.  I used Rufus to put it on a flashdrive and tested it to see if it would boot.  I found I had to set the UEFI to Legacy to make it boot.  Maybe you should try that.

Thank you very much.You know guys, sometimes I tend to overthink things, all I had to do was test whether the dvd I had made would boot off of any of my pc's, just did so and it works

@JohnC_21

sorry for my oversight on this John but thanks for the help!

Only one more issue I am seeing with these downloads guys, those downloads I linked to shows it's win 8 Pro, what happens if soemone's pc comes with basic win8?

Edited by mystic12, 27 October 2014 - 11:26 AM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

I am not sure if that will work. I remember where a Windows 7 DVD has every version on the disk and a cfg file is what determines if it shows as pro or home. Not sure if this is the case with Windows 8 isos or not. I am not familiar with Magic ISO but if it can open the iso file and the ei.cfg file is present delete it and see if you get a prompt for every version of Windows 8 during install. I would save the modified iso as a different name and keep the original you downloaded untouched.

http://www.askvg.com/how-to-choose-desired-windows-7-edition-version-during-setup/

Also here.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:52 AM

Think I asked the wrong question [sorry]. What I'd like to know now is since the versions in the download link are win8 Pro, what happens if I load on a machine which has win8 standard, would he embedded license still work?

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 11:57 AM

A key for home or basic will not work for Pro.

Also if it is an OEM computer with the serial in BIOS, I am not sure what will happen even if you delete the ei.cfg file in the iso and try to install the version on the computer because of the OEM/Retail difference. It should work though.

#11 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 12:07 PM

So if someone brought a computer to you with the HDD shot, is there any way to know exactly which version of win8 was installed on that unit?

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

If it was an OEM computer, it would be on the COA sticker except Windows 8 no longer does this. If it's OEM, then it's probably Windows 8 64bit, not PRO.

I have not tried the following yet so I can't confirm if it will work.

What you can do is install Windows 7 to the new hard drive as a temporary measure and then use the following method to pull the Windows 8 key from BIOS.

http://www.nextofwindows.com/how-to-retrieve-windows-8-oem-product-key-from-bios/?PageSpeed=noscript

If you do not want to install WIndows 7 use a live CD of linux , Parted Magic should work, and try the following    or this

Then use this utility to determine what version of WIndows 8 you have. Or use the online PID checker here.

You can use the recovered key to see if you can install using your iso files you downloaded. You may have to do a phone activation. Use the get_win8key script to find the key in firmware.

Edited by JohnC_21, 27 October 2014 - 01:11 PM.

#13 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:38 PM

Ok, if that dude brings back that win8 unit, I will attempt this first, thanks! BTW, is there a difference between windows 8 "core" and Standard or are they both the same exact thing just different terminology?

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,849 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:42 PM

Windows 8 core and standard are the same.

#15 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,614 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 01:49 PM

Ok, just wanted to be 100% sure as I can get it here:

http://getintopc.com/softwares/operating-systems/windows-8-core-free-download-iso-32-bit-64-bit/

so now I will have 5 win8 disks in both 32 and 64 bit versions [standard, Pro and 8.1], can't seem to find 8.1 Pro for download anywhere?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users