Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Unable to Shut Down

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Anjun

Anjun

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:16 AM

Hey all!

I can't shut down my computer without flipping off the power supply. When I initiate the shut down sequence, it runs perfectly fine and does turn off. But moments later, my PC restarts itself and boots up. Would it be possible it might be my new motherboard?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 masterthemachines

masterthemachines

• Members
  • 115 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:27 AM

Hello there,

Have you tried updating your drives? If not, follow these steps: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-GB/windows7/automatically-get-recommended-drivers-and-updates-for-your-hardware

Hope this helps!

#3 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:55 AM

I've updated to the latest windows drivers. The problem is still there.

#4 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:02 AM

Interesting, I wonder if this is a wake on LAN issue? Have you tried disconnecting the network cable before shutting down as a troubleshooting step? That is in the BIOS, bye the way.

#5 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 10:07 AM

I haven't tried that. I'll try that after work! I've got a new motherboard, so I'm not too familiar where everything is in the BIOS. I hope it can be fixed through tampering with BIOS. 

#6 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:12 PM

Interesting, I wonder if this is a wake on LAN issue? Have you tried disconnecting the network cable before shutting down as a troubleshooting step? That is in the BIOS, bye the way.

I disconnected my ethernet cable and initiated the shut down process. It rebooted itself again. I haven't touched the BIOS yet. Any idea where I might find the option in BIOS? I'm kind of new to BIOS in general.

#7 Will5200

Will5200

• Members
  • 141 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 08:11 AM

Depends on the motherboard. On some, the [DEL] key, others, f1, f2, etc. The splash screen that displays before Windows appears may give you some kind of idea.

#8 Iceviking

Iceviking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:43 AM

I've had the same problem for months so I'm really interested in your troubleshooting steps and solution.

Mine started after replacing graphics card.    I've gone back to the originals and tried it again with no change.    I have to wait until the computer shuts down and I see a "No Signal" from the graphics card then hold down the start button until it shuts down.

#9 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 10:46 AM

Mmhm, I know how to get to BIOS, I'm just not familiar with all the options in it yet! 

For me, I swapped out my motherboard, CPU, and power supply. Everything seems to be hooked into the right places. 

#10 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,405 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

Shutdown issues...should be reflected in Event Viewer and that's where I would look for the cause of such first.

Louis

#11 Iceviking

Iceviking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 06:49 PM

The only error message I get is the one where i forced the shutdown with the on/off button.    No matter how long I wait it will never shut down.   and never have an error

#12 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 07:40 PM

Try this article.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2621246

#13 Iceviking

Iceviking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:15 PM

I'm not having a restart problem.   I'm having a won't shut down problem

#14 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:28 AM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:19 PM

same difference...

always restarts on shutdown = won't shut down.

#15 Iceviking

Iceviking

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 29 October 2014 - 09:23 PM

Not the same.   It would show up in the event viewer like "moderator" indicated.    After the last process/system shuts down the event viewer logs show nothing else happening.  It just doesn't shut down unless I force it too.    And when I force it to...... It doesn't try to restart.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users