Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

High CPU usage

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 latigre

latigre

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:40 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

HI there , 

i have a problem of high cpu usage on my laptop  i manged to install windows (clean installantion ) several times but the problem still exists .The issue is that I cannot determine the main reason for this issue . ehn i was using windows 7 the PC halts and become very slow with minimal number of process at 100 %  ,now  I have  changed the  os to  windows 8 and the  pc is still to slow at 49 % cpu usage with only  google chrome  running  and the pc is extremely slow ,my laptop model is  hp pavilion dv6 -2150ee .

please advice  me  to overcome this  problem. 

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dicke

dicke

Paraclete

• Members
  • 2,196 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:40 AM

Posted 25 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

Welcome,

Can you tell us how much RAM is installed and the amount of free space on your HDD?

Thanks

Dick

Stay well and surf safe [stay protected]

Dick E

#3 Deadbug

Deadbug

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:40 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 08:53 AM

Start Windows Task Manager and take a look at which processes are hogging your CPU and then post them here.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:40 PM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 10:11 AM

Please download and install Speccy to provide us with information about your computer.  When  FileHippo opens, click on Download latest version in the upper right pane.

When Speccy opens you will see a screen similar to the one below.

speccy9_zps2d9cdedc.png

Click on File which is outlined in red in the screen above, and then click on Publish Snapshot.

The following screen will appear, click on Yes.

speccy7_zpsfa02105f.png

The following screen will appear, click on Copy to Clipboard.

speccy3_zps1791b093.png

In your next post right click inside the Reply to Topic box, then click on Paste.  This will load a link to the Speccy log.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 latigre

latigre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 11:54 AM

thanks a a lot all for your help  

first : the installed ram is 4GB  and harddisk free space is 100 GB 

second : I will install speecy and will send the result to you  MR Arachibutyrophobia

one of my friends told me to try to clean the pc from dust as i have been using it for almost five years , and actually it improved the pc performance . 

thanks again for your effort  

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:39 PM

I will install speecy and will send the result to you  MR Arachibutyrophobia

I hope you don't mean that you are going to send the Speccy link through a PM to me.  You need to post the link in your topic. 

By the way, my user name is dc3.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Deadbug

Deadbug

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:59 PM

Latigre,

Since you said you are having minimal processes that are taking your CPU usage up to 100%, you really do need to start Task Manager and tell us which processes are taking up the largest percentages of your CPU.

That really needs to be your first step here.

#8 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 02:24 PM

Latigre,

Since you said you are having minimal processes that are taking your CPU usage up to 100%, you really do need to start Task Manager and tell us which processes are taking up the largest percentages of your CPU.

That really needs to be your first step here.

I disagree, the information the Speccy will provide can reveal a great deal and eliminate some possibilities.

#9 Deadbug

Deadbug

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 30 October 2014 - 03:29 PM

[/quote]
I disagree, the information the Speccy will provide can reveal a great deal and eliminate some possibilities.[/quote]

Well, I didn't say that Speccy wasn't going to be useful--it probably would be.

However, based on the OP's description of the problem, the simplest and easiest FIRST step is to check Task Manager--the few offending processes should be plain to see. Based on the results from looking at Task Manager, he could install/run Speccy. That was my point, and I stand by that.

#10 latigre

latigre
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:39 AM

Hi dc3 

this is the link of speccy 

http://speccy.piriform.com/results/UpVkjfXLrccWQJcCCAJgQ4e

please check it  and tell me what is wrong with my pc

Thanks 

#11 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 08:45 AM

Please run chkdsk /r

Open Search and type in cmd.

When this is displayed in the result box right click on it.  At the bottom of this window click on Run as administrator.

When the Elevated Comman Prompt opens type in chkdsk /r and press Enter.

You will receieve the message "CHKDSK cannot be run because it is in use by another process.  Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts?  <Y/N>".

Type in Y and press Enter.

Restart your computer to start the scan.

This will take a while to run, please be patient and allow it to complete the scan.

When the scan is finished please download and run ListChkdskResult.

This will open Notepad with the results of the chkdsk scan.  Please copy and then paste this log in your topic.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users