Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error: There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Anon.

Anon.

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:33 AM

Hello,

I've been an ardent follower of BleepingComputer for several years, but this is the first time I had to register to post about

a problem in my PC, in hoping to get help & assistance from here.

The PC is a Windows XP SP3 32 Bit.

The problem is after booting to Windows, the desktop (icons+ taskbar) won't load, only the background wallpaper visible.

Task Manager opens by CTR+ALT+DEL.

But in the File > New Task (Run) if I type to open any folder (e.g. 'Desktop', My Documents etc.); it gives the error: "There was a Problem Sending the Command to the Program".

Can't access to any drive or can't download anything from internet, since downloading requires it to "save" first in a folder, but

that folder doesn't open.

Also I notices if I type explorer.exe in the Run box of Task Manafer, the explorer.exe appears for fraction of a second in the

Processes list, then it disappears.

This started when I tried to delete an older version of Java manually from the "Java" folder in C:\Program Files.

Since it wasn't removed from the usual Add/Remove option in Control Panel and showed an MS Installer error there,

so I just manually deleting the files from that "Java" folder.

But some files could not be deleted as it was locked, so I used the app Unlocker to unlock them & delete.

As soon as it unlocked, all the open windows/tabs crashed and it was only the Wallpaper - the Desktop along with icons vanished.

Java wasn't removed fully, but screwed up the machine.

Now all I can do is to bring up the Task Manager everytime and open the essential applications from there by typing (e.g. firefox.exe).

Fortunately network connections still there and I can browse, but can't download anything from internet as nothing will be saved.

Steps taken already:

1. Ran sfc/scannow.

2. Ran chkdsk.

3. Done a system restore.

4. Scanned with Avast (installed in the computer - accessed it with command prompt) - Found no infection.

5. Scanned wih Eset Online Scanner (installed - accessed likewise) - Found no threats.

6. Scanned with herdProtect (installed - accessed likewise). - Found no infections.

I hope there's at least something before trying a Repair Install. Also a Re-install is not an option here, & this is the sole working computer available.

Thanks in advance for any help and assistance.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Anon.

Anon.
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 137 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:08 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:33 AM

Well, I am glad to state the issue has been resolved! :thumbsup:

Now I am overjoyed to get my desktop and taskbars back, also the files/folders are accessible from the GUI. :grinner:  No more errors.

I was also going through online for probable solutions and a post somewhere pointed to what I did - to rename the Deployment folder in the location C:\Documents and Settings\Username\Application Data\Sun\Java and also did another system restore, though I had done it once.

After the computer restarted, it showed the restored point and also all my desktop along with the icons and taskbar came up, which is usual.

Downloading & saving a file from the net is again possible.

Anyway thanks to all, this thread can be closed/removed now. :)

Edited by poiuy, 24 October 2014 - 09:36 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users