Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Always Freezing Randomly

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 maddox

maddox

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:30 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 08:14 PM

I have a Dell Dimension 8400. It has XP Home Edition.
Pentium 4 CPU, 3 GHz, 2.99 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

I can't remember how to check to see how much free memory I have but I know it is a decent proportion. This computer is about 2 years old. We have McAfee installed (virus scan, firewall protection, anti-spam) and it's set to automatic update.

I went through and got rid of the start up applications that I don't need running (on start up) and I cleared history, temp files, cookies etc. The computer freezes quite randomly. Seems to freeze more when running more than one application or doing something that is harder for it (downloading etc.) which seems normal, but it's not consistent in it's freezing.

I don't know what else to do????

Anyone?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:00 PM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 10:13 PM

Hi maddox,

Start by making sure your computer is free of dust and debris. Check all fans to make sure they turn freely. Pay special attention to your processor fan. Overtemp problems could cause freezing or reboots.

Next, I would download Memtest86+. This is a free stand alone memory diagnostic. Let that run and test your memory.

I hope this helps,

rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#3 maddox

maddox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:42 PM

Riguel,

Thank you. I have never opened my computer and actually physically done anything in there. I haven't the slightest about where to begin......

#4 Albert Frankenstein

Albert Frankenstein

• Members
  • 2,707 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 07:44 PM

Follow the instructions in the good tutorial found HERE.
ALBERT FRANKENSTEIN
I'M SO SMART IT'S SCARY!

Currently home chillin' with the fam and my two dogs!

#5 rigel

rigel

FD-BC

• Members
  • 12,944 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 08:41 PM

Welcome back maddox,

The tutorial Albert Frankenstein referenced is excellent! Read it and see if it is something you can do. If not, you make wish to ask a computer knowledgable friend to do it... or a computer shop.

Good luck!

rigel

PS... Thanks for the cover AF - That tutorial is a great suggestion. - rigel

"In a world where you can be anything, be yourself." ~ unknown

"Fall in love with someone who deserves your heart. Not someone who plays with it. Will Smith

#6 maddox

maddox
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 14 June 2006 - 07:49 PM

Well I cleaned out the inside of the computer and it's still freezing on me. I am so frustrated with this thing. If I take it to Best Buy or something can they search for viruses and clean it for me or should I just figure out how to do it myself?

#7 Enthusiast

Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5,898 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:00 PM

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:19 PM

Best Buy (Geek Squad) would be one of the most expensive places to take it but I am sure they could handle it.

The best thing to do would be to ask friends for a referral for a shop or tech they have had experience with or look for a shop that is authorized by the factory that made your computer to do its warranty work -even though it might be out of warranty. Also check with the Better Business Bureau after you have some prospects to check their complaint records.

Random freezing, unless accompanied with other anomalies, is usually not caused by malware.

How much room do you have left on your hard drive? Did it complete chekdisk and defrag?

Do you get any error or stop (blue screen) messages when it freezes?

If you press ctrl/alt/del when it freezes dowes anything happen?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users