Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Stuck in safe mode with only an external monitor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 SKWDMD

SKWDMD

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:55 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:34 PM

Hello to all and thanks for helping. 

Did a very dumb thing in retrospect. My computer running windows vista is connected to my flat screen TV with a HDMI cable because monitor is broken. Windows did an update the other day when I turned on my computer. After completing the update Google Chrome repeatedly crashed. I thought it might be a virus and tried to troubleshoot starting with a full scan running Windows Defender in safe mode. 

I used the msconfig to select minimal safe mode, and restarted the computer, not realizing the drivers for the external monitor would be disabled. So now I have no way to see the screen that is loading. Is the first screen the logon page, the desktop page in safe mode, or some other page because I keep pulling out the plug to shutdown the computer. In addition I have used the F8 key along the way so don't know if that has altered the original sequence of how pages load. One other thing....I have two users on my computer, so don't know if I have to first choose the user. One requires a password the other doesn't. I was using the one with the password when I wrecked my computer.

I have tried to logon with no luck. 

After I think the page is loaded I left click the mouse on the touchpad and then type in my password.

From there I have tried many combinations of keys and shortcuts. I hit the windows key+R , thinking the the run window will pop up. Press the delete key to clear the contents of the run box and left click the touchpad to be certain the  the cursor in the box and it is active. I enter msconfig and have tried several combinations to see if I can get my computer to restart. No luck so far. Before I junk I would appreciate advice. Its not worth fixing the monitor or inverter board. I took it all apart and not sure if the wire to the inverter was abraded by the hinge. When the monitor first went dark, I was able to see my screen with a bright flashlight. But thats another story.

Any help would be appreciated.

Steve

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:31 AM

Hello, and Welcome

You will need another computer that can burn an iso file. If it's Windows 7 you can right click the iso file and select Burn Image. I do not know if the Kaspersky Disk will recognize our external monitor.

The Kaspersky Rescue Disk needs to boot and be seen in order for this to work.

Here is a post that explains editing the registry. It's from the Windows 8 forum but should work for Vista.

#3 SKWDMD

SKWDMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:03 AM

Thank you for the reply. I will try that method after fooling with the keyboard a little more.

Whatever pages loads after startup from normal shutdown, allows me to shutdown normally when I press the tab key 3x then the enter key. The computer will shutdown on its own. Its the only  control I have of my computer. I'm thinking I'm on the logon page. Certainly not the windows advanced options window......I would think only the arrow keys function on that window, and there is no selection for shutdown. 

So if I am on the logon page, is there any method to select the logon box and make it active  using the keyboard. I have two users, one requires a password the other doesn't. I have tried numerous combinations of the tab key and enter and the only function I have is shutdown.

Any guesses what window is loading??

#4 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 24,290 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

I believe it would be the TAB key that moves between the ease of access button on the left, the login box in the center and the shutdown button on the right. If you hit the tab key twice, then enter that may get the login or password box active. If there is no password for the account then enter should take you to the users profile. You may have to play around with the number of times you hit the tab key if there is more than one account showing on the screen

Edited by JohnC_21, 26 October 2014 - 12:23 PM.

#5 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 27 October 2014 - 05:18 AM

try this connect the pc to the tv with a vga cable there should a vga socket on the tv.

with any luck boot th pc and it should load with a generic drive in windows so you can view the screen.

get into msconfig and change the setting to normal boot.

#6 SKWDMD

SKWDMD
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 27 October 2014 - 09:09 PM

The vga connection did not work, but thanks for the suggestion. I hooked it up to a  Cathode Ray Monitor from 2001.

Its like a challenging puzzle. Trying to figure out what page I am on and what box is active. One day I will get it I suppose, Its odd that no matter what page I am on, the tab button  will eventually bring me to a button that shuts the computer down. 

If I do bring up the msconfig window I'm not sure what tab is selected by default. I'm assuming the general tab. So I click the up arrow twice and press enter hoping that will do a normal boot up.

#7 johnebadbak

johnebadbak

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 28 October 2014 - 12:21 AM

Probably the resolution on the tv is to high so try a lower resolution .on the vga connection.unplug the hdmi cable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users