Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

2 Disks: Slowest Has Xp Installed.

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Not a Mongoose

Not a Mongoose

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 12 June 2006 - 07:41 PM

First of all, a big hello to all you ****ingcomputer forum members. This is my first post, I hope I'm not stepping on any toes.
I basically came here because I have a minor problem that's been niggling me for ages.
The situation is this:
I have two hard disks on my athlon XP 2100+ machine. One is an old 20Gb disk that's been around for ages, and has had my windows installation on it for years. I currently have xp pro SP 2 installed on this disk as the C partition. The second disk is a much newer 120Gb Maxtor, installed in one partition as the D drive, and this one holds all my data. They're both IDE drives, nothing new and fancy like SATA.
They're both installed as Basic disks with NTFS partitions. Both disks are pretty full, but I can archive data onto DVD no problem.

Now as you can probably understand, this situation is far from ideal. Now my computer is bottlenecked in a couple of places (I definitely need to upgrade the RAM), but this slow boot disk is really hitting my performance So I get to my question:

Is there a way of moving things around so that my current boot partition ends up on part of my second disk, say perhaps a 20Gb partition of that disk, relegating the slower disk to just storing archived or unimportant data, without losing any data?

I have a DVD burner, and am prepared to spend a bit of money on the right software (as long as that software's gonna continue to be useful in the future!).
See this as an exercise in disk management. I'm prepared to put in a bit of work, as a project. I'm very fond of my current installation, and don't really want to format it. But if this isn't gonna work, I will format, and no harm done.

It'd just be nice if someone could come up with a method for me!
Anybody?

Cheers,
Not a Mongoose

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Merlin_22

Merlin_22

• Members
  • 29 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:04 PM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 05:17 AM

Just 2 quetions for you.
  • This disk that is slowing your comptuer down, did you attempt to delete a partition?
  • Where about did you get your XP CD from?

TONY

Kids Safe Forum <--- Please read the site guidelines before registering. You don't have to be a parent nor have any information. You can register and ask things on the forum if you want.

Update: Kids Safe is bringing out K.S.A, for more information on what it is; click the link below:
http://kidssafe.co.nz/index.php?showtopic=504

#3 Guest_Joe C_*

Guest_Joe C_*

• Guests
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:27 PM

Your hard drive manufacture provides software to be able to move your windows from one drive to the other without any loss of data,

The copy feature lets you make an exact duplicate of your existing hard drive.

You can get MaxBlast here
http://www.maxtor.com/portal/site/Maxtor/m...s&downloadID=57

Edited by Joe C, 13 June 2006 - 12:27 PM.

#4 Not a Mongoose

Not a Mongoose
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  

Posted 13 June 2006 - 12:41 PM

Thanks for the replies.
Merlin:
The only time I've ever tried to delete a partition was before a complete overhaul of the machine, with a total reformat. There has not been a noticeable slowdown as such, it is more that the hard disk itself is particularly slow (rated 22Mb/s vs 55Mb/s for the 120 gig disk in Sandra 2007)
My XP is a site licensed installation.

Joe:
Looking more closely at the info (windows doesn't report the manufacturer, it just has a serial number), the 20Gb disk is a Seagate. The 120Gb is a Hitachi. I used to have a maxtor, I forgot I changed it :thumbsup: Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll look into similar tools by these manufacturers.

Would Norton Ghost be a tool I could use to accomplish this task?

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:04 AM

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:25 PM

You mentioned that the 120MB is "pretty full". In this case it is inadvisable to add another partition to hold the OS. You would be much better off to purchase a new drive. A 80GB drive can be had for about $50, but if you continue to use disk space as you have then you should consider buying a larger drive.A 160GB drive goes for about $90, 250GB for $100, 320GB for $125, etc. I can give you specific models and costs if you'd like.

You can use XP to partition the new drive and then format the partitions (Start > Run > diskmgmt.msc). Defining a 20GB partition for the OS s a good idea. Then, you can use the free program Digital Dolly to "clone" the operating system partition from the old drive to the new.

DD comes in an ISO CD image file that must be burned using Nero, Roxio or the free CDBurnerXP. The program runs by restarting your system while having the burnt CD loaded in the optical drive and rebooting. Make sure your BIOS device's boot order has the optical drive listed before the hard drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users