Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Something stopped working with my computer, think CPU may have died.

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 EarthChaosSnake

EarthChaosSnake

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

Sorry this is my first post, however considering the kind of forum this is I am sure a lot of you are used to this kind of thing. Just the other day my computer started to reboot automatically. My first thought was something overheated, however after looking at the logs from MSI, everything reported as normal heat wise. This was repeated twice more. Both while simple using the computer for basic things.

The third time however, something happened differently, the fan went full on, it would not display anything on screen, and pressing or holding the power button could not power it down, thus forcing me to cut the power by flipping the switch on the power supply. The computer has done that since, with the fan going all out, and requiring a forcful shutdown no matter how much time has passed.

I proceeded to clean it out, and make sure every cord was plugged in properly, and connected in the correct spot. Beyond that, it has remained undisturbed for almost a year since it was built. I did note that the only fan that begins to run was the video card's fan. Both the case and the CPU fans were not even trying to start up. I also tried the CD drive, and that opened as normal.

If required this is my build on the computer in question; http://pcpartpicker.com/p/2Dd35. I do not have a internal speaker, so I can not provide a post beep code.

My first thought on this is that my CPU died. Of course before rushing out and ordering a new one, I wanted to ask others on opinions and advice, just in case that is not the fault, or the solution to my problem is a much easier and/or cheaper.

Thanks in advance for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 hamluis

hamluis

• 56,385 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:18 PM

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:35 PM

If no fans were turning...I'd be inclined to examine the prospect of a PSU failure, rather than assuming a CPU failure.

Louis

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users