Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

How to improve laptop performance? Rating is 4.5.

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 smithcraig

smithcraig

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:03 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:46 PM

How to improve laptop performance? Laptop is Dell N5050 with these specs:

Intel Core i3 @ 2.3GHz

8GB memory

Windows 7 Home 64-Bit

Western Digital 1TB Hard Drive

Windows Experience Rating is 4.5.

Processor is rated at:                           6.7

Memory (RAM) is rated at:                   7.3

Graphics is rated at:                            4.5

Gaming graphics is rated at:                6.1

Primary hard disk is rated at:               5.9

How do improve the graphics rating? Will the Aero theme improve the rating?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:03 AM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

There really isn't much you can do.  

You have the maximum amount of RAM installed.  

I suspect that you will not find a CPU to upgrade to that will make a significant difference in performance.

You could make the read and write quicker if you add a partition for the operating system and use the remainder for storage.  But to be perfectly honest, I don't believe you will even notice the difference in performance.

I also wouldn't worry about what the graphics rating is showing.  If this computer is doing what you bought it for then you have all you need.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:14 PM

"You could make the read and write quicker if you add a partition for the operating system and use the remainder for storage"

Actually a partition on the same drive would make no difference.  If you want to stop OS file access contending with storage file access they need to be on separate drives or you still have the disk contention if on the same drive.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:05 PM

I will not go further with this discussion than this post as going further would be interfering with the topic.

The following is from an article at G-Parted.

Modern hard disk drives contain more sectors of data at the outer edge of the physical disk than at the inner edge. Hard drives spin at a constant rate; normally 5400, 7200, or 10,000 RPM. This physical configuration means that more data can be accessed at the outer edge (start) in a single spin of the disk than at the inner edge (end).

To take advantage of these physical hard disk drive properties, you should place frequently accessed files at the start of the disk (lower sector numbers).

For example to shorten the Operating System boot time, you should place the OS in a partition at the start of the hard disk drive. Less frequently accessed information, such as your data files, should be placed in a partition after the OS.

Please note that this does not apply to SSDs as they do not have discs.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users