Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Constantly re-installing network drivers

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Anjun

Anjun

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:21 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hey all, 

I've been having this issue for a week now. Almost every time I start up my PC, the network connections don't work. I have to pop in my motherboard driver CD and remove the currently installed Internet LAN driver and re-install to fix the issue. 

The image below shows the diagnostic result and also the motherboard I'm using.  

http://imgur.com/a/LdqcU

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:32 PM

Sounds like a Windows issue but what else have you tried besides a complete driver re-install? What does the icon look like in the status bar? What does it show in device manager?

Hope this helps thumbup.gif

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#3 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:38 PM

I haven't tried much! As for the icon, it's a red X mark when the issue occurs. 

http://imgur.com/3sD5ypb  --Device Manager. I'm not sure that's helping though. 

#4 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:36 PM

From that picture there is nothing wrong with your drivers but I am assuming you have corrected the issue already. So look again before you fix it. If there is a yellow ! or red x there then the drivers are messed up. If the red x is only in the status bar the drivers are probably fine and there is another issue. Are you turning your PC on or waking it up?  Right click the networking icon in the status bar and click Open Network and Sharing Center. Where is the red x? If you right click and click Troubleshoot, what happens?

Associate in Applied Science - Network Systems Management - Trident Technical College

#5 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:13 AM

Okay! I actually reformatted to check it Windows was the problem. I still have the issue. I removed and installed the drivers again, making it work. 

In the Network and Sharing Center, the Red X is located between my Computer and Network. Also the windows network diagnostic said that it might be a problem with the wired network adapter. It was working fine with my old computer. I replaced my motherboard, CPU, and power supply. I really hope it isn't a hardware issue.

#6 Wand3r3r

Wand3r3r

• Members
  • 2,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:06 PM

Having to replace driver files could indicate bad sectors/clusters on the drive if the files keep landing in the same place.  Formatting does not reveal this type of issue.

To make sure this is not the issue do two things

1. run chkdsk /f via a command prompt and answer yes to the question.  reboot so it runs

2. go to system tools and run the defrag utility after the check disk.  This will assure the driver files will land in a different place then before.

See if this stops the reload requirement.

#7 CaveDweller2

CaveDweller2

• Members
  • 2,629 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 12:08 PM

so there is nothing out of the ordinary in Device manager? Without reinstalling the drivers if there is a red X between your PC and network, on the left side click Change adapter settings, right click your connection, normally Local Area, click Disable then right click and click Enable. Does that do anything?

#8 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:43 AM

Having to replace driver files could indicate bad sectors/clusters on the drive if the files keep landing in the same place.  Formatting does not reveal this type of issue.

To make sure this is not the issue do two things

1. run chkdsk /f via a command prompt and answer yes to the question.  reboot so it runs

2. go to system tools and run the defrag utility after the check disk.  This will assure the driver files will land in a different place then before.

See if this stops the reload requirement.

I ran it first so I did the check before I reached the second step. Is this where I go for step 2: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/improve-performance-defragmenting-hard-disk#1TC=windows-7 ? I couldn't find any system tools. 

#9 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 11:44 AM

so there is nothing out of the ordinary in Device manager? Without reinstalling the drivers if there is a red X between your PC and network, on the left side click Change adapter settings, right click your connection, normally Local Area, click Disable then right click and click Enable. Does that do anything?

That didn't seem to do much. I checked the device manager. Am I missing something? Does this look normal? http://imgur.com/a/12A9q

#10 Anjun

Anjun
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 03:10 PM

Hm. I ran the check disk and the defrag and the problem is still there. Had to remove and install the internet LAN driver again. 

#11 jhayz

jhayz

• BC Advisor
  • 6,922 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:21 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 10:13 PM

Did you try swapping LAN cable connectors or use another port from the router just in case? The latest release for the LAN and chipset drivers are also available on ASUS support site http://www.asus.com/ph/Motherboards/Z97MPLUS/HelpDesk_Download/

Tekken

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users