Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

icon pix aren't working

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 PieLam

PieLam

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:28 PM

Hi, all,

Can someone tell me why my icon pix aren't working right?

In Win 7 (64 Pro), in the 'properties' context menu for shortcuts, I <click> on the 'customize' tab, then click <change  icon> <browse>, navigate to my icons folder, click on the icon image file I want for this shortcut, then a selection window appears showing the image with it already selected, I click <OK> and now I see the selected image on the properties window, as far as I know these are the proper steps to assign a custom image to a shortcut, right?

I know these same steps worked a few days ago on another group of shortcuts. However, when I click <apply> <<<nothing>>> happens, consequently, when I click <OK> <<<nothing>>> happens again.  I repeat these same steps several times with always the same <<<nothing>>> happens results!

Can anyone tell me why this is happening?

Also, this same thing occurs a lot even when selecting the default icon images (in the Windows default image path), but when (and IF) this happens, I'll select a different icon image, and this will often (but not ALL the time) work right & assign the image to the shortcut.  Why is this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:07 PM

Hi,

Try clearing and rebuilding the Icon Cache

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 7
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-elevated-command-prompt/

or

Open an elevated command prompt in Windows 8
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/open-an-elevated-command-prompt-in-windows-8/

Copy/Paste or Type each command in Section A. one at a time and press <Enter> after each.

The last line will force the computer to shutdown!
(Make sure you save all of your work before executing these lines)!

Section A.

ie4uinit.exe -ClearIconCache <Enter>

taskkill /IM explorer.exe /F <Enter>

DEL "%localappdata%\IconCache.db" /A <Enter>

shutdown /r /f /t 00 <Enter>

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

#3 PieLam

PieLam
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 241 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:37 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:32 AM

old rocker, on 23 Oct 2014 - 2:07 PM, said:

Try clearing and rebuilding the Icon Cache

Best of luck and Please keep BC posted!

Thanx so much!! When I navigated to the folder in question, all the icon pix that I assigned images to yesterday were there as if I'd just assigned them all new images right then! :)

I followed all the steps for using an elevated command prompt, after the reboot, it was as if <poof> all the icon pix had magically appeared!  I'm so happy!  Thanx again!   :)

On a sadder note, (that this happened in the first place, losing Icon pix and not knowing why) is a very big let down!   :(

Edited by PieLam, 24 October 2014 - 09:39 AM.

#4 old rocker

old rocker

• Members
  • 451 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:37 PM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:21 PM

Sometimes your computer gets a mind of it's own.

That is when we must remind them of their role in our lives!

Rock On My Friend! :guitar:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users