Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Toshiba Satellite win8 booting problem?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 mystic12

mystic12

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:32 AM

When I press the power button, it shows "no bootable device-Please restart system".

Your pc ran into a problem and needs to restart.

1] I changed the Boot order to boot Knoppix but then I get:

"Boot Failure: a proper digital signature was not found. One of the files on the selected boot device was rejected by the secure boot feature"

then the laptop shuts down.

2] I also see the options to go into safe mode but it doesn't work and the system restarts itself.

3] I tried doing a factory recovery by holding down the 0 key as it suggests here:

https://support.toshiba.com/support/viewContentDetail?contentId=2737864

but that does not work with the system restarting itslef.

4] Now I am seeing:

Repairing disk errors. This might take over an hour to complete"

If the above no.4 does not work, I am thinking I can try running a chkdsk but how can I do so from outside of windows? BTW, I am now sometimes hearing a "clicking" noise every now and then, I am guessing this is coming from the HDD while the system is trying to repair it?

BTW, I am now sometimes hearing a "clicking" noise every now and then, I am guessing this is coming from the HDD while the system is trying to repair it?
BTW, I am now sometimes hearing a "clicking" noise every now and then, I am guessing this is coming from the HDD while the system is trying to repair it?

Edited by mystic12, 23 October 2014 - 10:38 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:08 AM

The repair did not work, it restarted itself after showing another error message then shows now "Diagnosing your pc"

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:47 PM

What version of Windows do you have, Windows 8 or 8.1?  The 32-bit or the 64-bit?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

win8 but can't tell if it's 32 or 64 since I can't get to windows?

#5 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,364 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:09 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:58 PM

What is the model of this Satellite?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#6 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 01:23 PM

c855-S5347

#7 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:26 PM

I have a feeling something's up with the HDD but was able to reload win8 64 bit but looking for the correct wireless and usb drivers, I tried these drivers here but reloading only 2 drivers are showing as yellowed in the device manager, the wireless and usb drivers,  I can connect to the net wired but can't seem to find these 2 drivers. I looked at this thread:

http://forums.toshiba.com/t5/Drivers-and-Utilities/Satellite-C855-S5347-drivers-missing/td-p/475183

and tried those drivers but when I try to run it, it shows "Sorry. We do not support this operating system?

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:44 PM

Is this Windows 8 or 8.1 64bit?

Right click both of the devices with the yellow exclamation marks. Right click and select Properties. Under the details tab select Hardware ID's in the dropdown box. Copy and Paste the first line shown for both devices.

#9 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:48 PM

win8 64bit. The hardware ID in that thread I linked to is the same [PCI\VEN_10EC&DEV_8723&SUBSYS_072310EC&REV_00] which is why I tried those drivers.

#10 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:52 PM

BTW, I tried the Atheros wireless LAN driver here:http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=3478319

but getting a message: windows has detected a hard disk problem.

I am not seeing a chipset driver on that page?

#11 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:11 PM

I read your first post again. BTW, I am now sometimes hearing a "clicking" noise every now and then, I am guessing this is coming from the HDD while the system is trying to repair it?

A clicking hard drive is not going to be repaired by software.

I believe your hard drive is failing. You can verify by running a hard drive diagnostic using a bootable linux disk. If you have another computer, download Parted Magic and burn the iso file. In Windows 7 you can right click the iso and select burn image or use software like Imgburn to create the bootable disk. Boot to the desktop and DoubleClick Disk Health and run the short test.

You will need to disable SecureBoot in BIOS in order for PartedMagic to boot. If Fastboot is enabled, I would disable that also.

#12 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:13 PM

As mentioned in my OP, this system would not load linux [knoppix], I just tried Parted Magic, same deal. That's one reason why I am thinking it may not be only the HDD at fault, if you look at this, the DVD autoplay does not work, the wired net connection works but not the wireless and also the system will not boot from a linux disk. In the morning I will try swapping with a new HDD to see what happens but with those issues mentioned I am thinking it cannot be only the HDD at fault here since the wireless, dvd and linux booting all are not related to the HDD in any way?

#13 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

From post #1 Not finding a digital signature was because SecureBoot was enabled in BIOS. Make sure that is disabled. Also make sure Fastboot is not enabled. You may have to allow something called Legacy Boot or CSM in BIOS.

You can try using a USB key to boot PartedMagic. Download and run Rufus. Opt out of any update check. Select MBR for the partition scheme. In the lower dropdown box select iso image and browse to the iso file of Parted Magic. Press Start. Anything on the Flash drive will be deleted.

#14 mystic12

mystic12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,519 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 07:35 AM

So I am trying anew HDD and disabled the Secure boot but when it comes to the 'Where you want to install windows" screen and I select the partition, I am getting an error message stating:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu"

I am not seeing the "disk controller" anywhere in the bios?

So I am trying anew HDD and disabled the Secure boot but when it comes to the 'Where you want to install windows" screen and I select the partition, I am getting an error message stating:

"Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, windows can only be installed to GPT disks.

Windows cannot be installed to this disk. This computer's hardware may not support booting to this disk. Ensure that the disk's controller is enabled in the computer's bios menu"

I am not seeing the "disk controller" anywhere in the bios?

#15 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,926 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:33 AM

You need to delete the partitions on the disk and initialize it as GPT. You can do this by using the bootable Partition Wizard. Burn the iso file and boot the disk. You will need to disable SecureBoot and Fastboot in BIOS. You may also have to change the boot mode to legacy or CSM. Delete the partitions and then initialize as GPT.

You should now be able to install Windows on a GPT disk.

Note: If you have the PartedMagic disk I linked to you can do it with Gparted as shown here. Select GPT in the dropdown box instead of msdos.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users