Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

problem: sluggish with pop ups

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Phil in USA

Phil in USA

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:25 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:23 AM

I have a Win 7 Ultimate x64 sp1 that boots from a 64 GB SSD drive and normally this system is fast. A few days ago I downloaded an exe file in order to restore a deleted file - it is called recuva.exe - and while it found other deleted files it did not find the one I was looking for. After that download that I noticed that the machine was behaving sluggishly. If I click on the shortcut to My Computer it takes a longer time to list the drives - about 4-5 seconds when before it did so almost immediately. In addition I now notice a series of pop ups all the time even if I am not browsing on the Net - Malawarebytes notifies me they may be threats and it disposes of the popups but they keep coming. I believe I picked up a virus, perhaps an adware but I don't know. Neither Malwarebytes nor Windows Defender sees the virus. I also tried Malawarebytes in Safe Mode but it still could not find the culprit. I also tried to use Restore but it does not go back to a prior date - only the current day is available - so it was of no use. Do you have any advice?
Thanks
Phil

Edited by Queen-Evie, 23 October 2014 - 09:31 AM.
moved from Windows 7 to Am I Infected

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:25 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:36 AM

Your topic will be moved to the Am I Infected What Do I Do Forum.

Follow the instructions below for finding and removing most well known adware.

download AdwCleaner by Xplode onto your desktop.
Close all open programs and internet browsers.
Double click on adwcleaner.exe to run the tool.
Click on Clean.
Confirm each time with Ok.
You will be prompted to restart your computer. A text file will open after the restart.
Please post the contents of that logfile with your next reply.
You can find the logfile at C:\AdwCleaner[S1].txt as well.

• download Junkware Removal Tool to your desktop.
  • Shut down your protection software now to avoid potential conflicts.
  • Run the tool by double-clicking it. If you are using Windows Vista, 7, or 8; instead of double-clicking, right-mouse click JRT.exe and select "Run as Administrator".
  • The tool will open and start scanning your system.
  • Please be patient as this can take a while to complete depending on your system's specifications.
  • On completion, a log (JRT.txt) is saved to your desktop and will automatically open.
  • Post the contents of JRT.txt into your next message
  • Run the ESET Online Scanner.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the esetsmartinstaller_enu.png icon on your desktop.
  • Check "YES, I accept the Terms of Use."
  • Click the Start button.
  • Accept any security warnings from your browser.
  • Under scan settings, check "Scan Archives" and "Remove found threats"
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • When the scan completes, click List Threats
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.
  • Click the Finish button.
  • NOTE:Sometimes if ESET finds no infections it will not create a log.

Use CCleaner to cleanup the caches, temporary files, cookies, etc. Pay attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars...especially Yahoo.

No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and it has the potential to cause a problem if used.

CCleaner - PC Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download

Edited by buddy215, 23 October 2014 - 09:36 AM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 02:56 PM

Thank you for your prompt reply. I have run AdwCleaner and I am posting the results below:

AdwCleaner v4.001 - Report created 23/10/2014 at 15:26:36
# DB v2014-10-21.1
# Updated 20/10/2014 by Xplode
# Operating System : Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (64 bits)
# Username : User - USER-PC
# Running from : C:\Users\User\Desktop\AdwCleaner.exe
# Option : Clean

***** [ Services ] *****

***** [ Files / Folders ] *****

Folder Deleted : C:\ProgramData\NCH Software
Folder Deleted : C:\Program Files (x86)\NCH Software
Folder Deleted : C:\Users\User\AppData\Roaming\NCH Software

***** [ Scheduled Tasks ] *****

***** [ Shortcuts ] *****

***** [ Registry ] *****

Key Deleted : [x64] HKLM\SOFTWARE\Classes\Interface\{79FB5FC8-44B9-4AF5-BADD-CCE547F953E5}
Key Deleted : HKCU\Software\Conduit
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Conduit
Key Deleted : HKLM\SOFTWARE\Orbit

***** [ Browsers ] *****

-\\ Internet Explorer v11.0.9600.17344

-\\ Mozilla Firefox v23.0.1 (en-US)

-\\ Google Chrome v38.0.2125.104

I then checked to see if this produced any noticeable results and I did not see any difference. There was one new warning about an unknown program wanting to change my default browser to Bling - this was new.  I suspect it is part of the adware/virus that I believe is infecting the machine.

Then I downloaded JRT and ran it (I turned off Malawarebytes antivirus before running it). I hope I ran it right. Here are the results:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Junkware Removal Tool (JRT) by Thisisu
Version: 6.3.3 (10.21.2014:1)
Ran by User on Thu 10/23/2014 at 15:39:42.31
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

~~~ Services

~~~ Registry Values

~~~ Registry Keys

~~~ Files

~~~ Folders

~~~ Event Viewer Logs were cleared

Scan was completed on Thu 10/23/2014 at 15:43:35.56
End of JRT log

The problem is still there. What do you advise?

Thanks

Phil

#4 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:01 PM

I do not know what ESET online scanner is. JRT made no mention of it. So nothing was done with ESET.

Phil

#5 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:40 PM

Just follow these instructions. I see where you might think it had something to do with JRT....but it is a separate scanner.

It may take one or more hours to run so plan accordingly.

• Run the ESET Online Scanner.
  • Hold down Control and click on this link to open ESET OnlineScan in a new window.
  • Click the esetonlinebtn.png button.
  • For alternate browsers only: (Microsoft Internet Explorer users can skip these steps)
  • Click on esetsmartinstaller_enu.exe to download the ESET Smart Installer. Save it to your desktop.
  • ESET will then download updates for itself, install itself, and begin scanning your computer. Please be patient as this can take some time.
  • Click Export, and save the file to your desktop using a unique name, such as ESETScan. Include the contents of this report in your next reply.
  • Click the Back button.

Use CCleaner to cleanup the caches, temporary files, cookies, etc. Pay attention while installing and UNcheck offers of toolbars...especially Yahoo.

No need to use the Registry Cleaning Tool and it has the potential to cause a problem if used.

After installing and cleaning up your computer with CCleaner, open it again. Click on Tools. Click on Uninstall. At the bottom of that

page is button that when clicked on will allow you to copy and paste the list of programs installed on your computer. Please post that list.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#6 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

I cannot install the ESET scanner. Windows IE gives an error and says to retry but this doesn't work. The initial message is something like it wants to install onlinescanner.cab - and asks for approval (via install option)  but when I click Install it goes back to the original ESET load up page and you have to start all over again with the same result. I tried turning off Malawarebytes but that made no difference. Perhaps there is another thing I have to do to give permission?

Phil

#7 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:14 PM

Try this: Open Firefox and click on Help. Click on About Firefox. Click on Update if it doesn't immediately update to the latest Firefox.

Then try using the Eset scanner in Firefox per instructions.

• Click the Back button.

EDIT:

Download Security Check from here or here and save it to your Desktop.

• Double-click SecurityCheck.exe
  • Follow the onscreen instructions inside of the black box.
  • A Notepad document should open automatically called checkup.txt; please post the contents of that document.

NOTE 1. If one of your security applications (e.g., third-party firewall) requests permission to allow DIG.EXE access the Internet, allow it to do so.
NOTE 2. SecurityCheck may produce some false warning(s), so leave the results reading to me.
NOTE 3. If you receive UNSUPPORTED OPERATING SYSTEM! ABORTED! message restart computer and Security Check should run

Edited by buddy215, 23 October 2014 - 05:17 PM.

#8 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:46 PM

I was able to use ESET after trying the alternative method. It quarantined the following programs but I am familiar with all of them - they had been on the machine for a long time with no problems. So I chose not to delete them for fear that I might lose the programs. I purchased FLVDownloader many months ago and don't want to lose it, even tho it labeled the setup for it as  an adware app. I don't believe I ever got any ads from it before so I doubt that the recent download of a different program to retrieve deleted files triggered it. But I really don't know. If you think I should delete the FLVDownloader setup and it wont affect my use of the program then I will delete it. I would also delete the other programs if you think it is safe. Perhaps instead of deleting I could rename the programs to see if that makes a difference? Anyway, here is the log (again - they have not been deleted yet):

C:\Users\User\Downloads\FLVDownloader_Setup.exe a variant of Win32/AdWare.iBryte.Z application cleaned by deleting - quarantined
D:\Downloads\cbsidlm-cbsi134-Flash_Video_Downloader_for_Google_Chrome-SEO-75327988.exe a variant of Win32/CNETInstaller.B potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
D:\Downloads\Firefox_Setup.exe a variant of Win32/InstallCore.CH potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
D:\Downloads\MediaPlayerClassicHomeCinema64-bitv168.exe a variant of Win32/OpenInstall potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
D:\UBCD4Win\BartPE\PROGRAMS\ExpressBurn\expressburn.exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Conduit.I potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined
G:\Seagate Sync\VOL\My Documents\Downloads\MediaCopeSetupD.exe a variant of Win32/Toolbar.Babylon.C potentially unwanted application deleted - quarantined

Let me know your opinion on renaming or deleting or leaving them alone. Should I do the other suggestion you provided after doing ESET?

Thanks again

Phil

#9 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:59 PM

I ran security check and here is the post for it:

Results of screen317's Security Check version 0.99.89 
 Windows 7 Service Pack 1 x64 (UAC is disabled!) 
 Internet Explorer 11 
``````````````Antivirus/Firewall Check:``````````````
 Windows Security Center service is not running! This report may not be accurate!
 Windows Firewall Enabled! 
 WMI entry may not exist for antivirus; attempting automatic update.
`````````Anti-malware/Other Utilities Check:`````````
 Adobe Flash Player 15.0.0.152 
 Mozilla Firefox 23.0.1 Firefox out of Date! 
 Google Chrome 37.0.2062.124 
 Google Chrome 38.0.2125.104 
````````Process Check: objlist.exe by Laurent```````` 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamservice.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbam.exe 
 Malwarebytes Anti-Malware mbamscheduler.exe  
`````````````````System Health check`````````````````
 Total Fragmentation on Drive C: 23% Defragment your hard drive soon! (Do NOT defrag if SSD!)
````````````````````End of Log``````````````````````

#10 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:40 AM

As you can see...Firefox is way out of date...have you updated it per my instructions for doing that?

The program installers that Eset identified are presently quarantined. Which is good. You are getting programs such as Firefox from 

a source that is guaranteed to install adware. As that is the problem you most recently experienced and will continue as long as you

use any source other than the developer's site and even then many free programs attempt to install adware. Many give you the option

to deny the install but there are some that will not.

Open MBAM and click on the update button. If it updates run a new scan and post the log of that scan if it finds and removes anything.

What about CCleaner and posting the list of programs installed? Repeat:

After installing and cleaning up your computer with CCleaner, open it again. Click on Tools. Click on Uninstall. At the bottom of that

page is button that when clicked on will allow you to copy and paste the list of programs installed on your computer. Please post that list.

#11 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:33 AM

Thank you for your feedback but I did not get an answer from you for my prior question. To clarify, I did not quarantine FLVdownloader or those other programs yet because I was waiting for your answer.

Meanwhile, I will work on your other suggestions (like updating Mozilla)  in the morning but I have another question: My problem began immediately after I installed recova.exe from a questionable site and this was only 5 days ago. I am pretty sure I got a virus from that install. All of these other programs you are mentioning have been installed for many months with no troubles. I might have used Mozilla one time when I first got the machine but I haven't used it for many months. In other words, why would this virus come from programs like Mozilla that have been installed for many months and have never given me any trouble before - and which I haven't used? Does the recova program - or the site I installed it from - have anything to do with Mozilla or any of these other programs?

Also, would it help to list some of the many popup sites that keep appearing on the machine? For example one of them is xmlka.com? The popups appear to be adware. Can these sites be traced to the adware virus?  As you can see I don't know much about this stuff. By the way, I renamed the recova.exe file but perhaps I should just delete it. Should I delete it? 

Thanks again,

Phil

#12 Phil in USA

Phil in USA
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 43 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:43 AM

Meanwhile, here is the CC Cleaner list of programs:dobe Acrobat X Pro - English, Français, Deutsch Adobe Systems 10/23/2014 5.75 GB 10.1.12
Adobe AIR Adobe Systems Incorporated 9/9/2014  14.0.0.178
Adobe Creative Suite 6 Master Collection Adobe Systems Incorporated 8/15/2013 10.5 GB 6
Adobe Flash Player 15 ActiveX Adobe Systems Incorporated 9/23/2014 6.00 MB 15.0.0.167
Adobe Flash Player 15 Plugin Adobe Systems Incorporated 9/10/2014 6.00 MB 15.0.0.152
Adobe Help Manager Adobe Systems Incorporated 8/15/2013  4.0.244
Adobe Widget Browser Adobe Systems Incorporated. 8/15/2013  2.0 Build 348
Adobe® Content Viewer Adobe Systems, Incorporated 9/9/2014  3.4.3
Apple Application Support Apple Inc. 2/26/2014 64.0 MB 2.3.6
Apple Software Update Apple Inc. 8/15/2013 2.38 MB 2.1.3.127
Belkin USB Wireless Adapter Belkin 8/17/2013 5.53 MB 1.0.0.13
CCleaner Piriform 7/22/2013  4.04
DVD Shrink 3.2 DVD Shrink 7/25/2014  
Firehand Ember 2000  8/19/2013  
Google Chrome Google Inc. 8/15/2013  38.0.2125.104
IL-2 Sturmovik 1946 Ubisoft 3/30/2014 4.29 GB 1.00.0000
ImgBurn LIGHTNING UK! 9/11/2013  2.5.8.0
Malwarebytes Anti-Malware version 2.0.3.1025 Malwarebytes Corporation 10/14/2014 56.6 MB 2.0.3.1025
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.5.1 Microsoft Corporation 4/18/2014 38.8 MB 4.5.50938
Microsoft Flight Simulator X: Acceleration Microsoft Game Studios 1/29/2014  10.0.61637.0
Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010 Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2013  14.0.7015.1000
Microsoft Security Essentials Microsoft Corporation 10/23/2014  4.6.305.0
Microsoft Silverlight Microsoft Corporation 7/25/2014 149 MB 5.1.30514.0
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable Microsoft Corporation 12/23/2013 2.38 MB 8.0.56336
Microsoft Visual C++ 2005 Redistributable (x64) Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2013 572 KB 8.0.61000
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.4148 Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2013 788 KB 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x64 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9/2/2013 788 KB 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.21022 Microsoft Corporation 1/30/2014 2.86 MB 9.0.21022
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.4148 Microsoft Corporation 8/15/2013 596 KB 9.0.30729.4148
Microsoft Visual C++ 2008 Redistributable - x86 9.0.30729.6161 Microsoft Corporation 9/2/2013 600 KB 9.0.30729.6161
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x64 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 9/2/2013 13.8 MB 10.0.40219
Microsoft Visual C++ 2010  x86 Redistributable - 10.0.40219 Microsoft Corporation 9/2/2013 11.8 MB 10.0.40219
MiniBin 3.8.3.0 Mike Edward Moras (e-sushi™) 3/21/2014  3.8.3.0
Mozilla Firefox 23.0.1 (x86 en-US) Mozilla 9/2/2013 47.0 MB 23.0.1
Mozilla Maintenance Service Mozilla 9/2/2013 219 KB 23.0.1
MPC-HC 1.6.8 (64-bit) MPC-HC Team 8/26/2013 20.9 MB 1.6.8.7417
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB954430) Microsoft Corporation 8/27/2013 1.27 MB 4.20.9870.0
MSXML 4.0 SP2 (KB973688) Microsoft Corporation 8/27/2013 1.33 MB 4.20.9876.0
MSXML 4.0 SP2 Parser and SDK Microsoft Corporation 12/23/2013 37.0 KB 4.20.9818.0
NVIDIA 3D Vision Controller Driver 320.49 NVIDIA Corporation 8/15/2013  320.49
NVIDIA 3D Vision Driver 320.49 NVIDIA Corporation 8/15/2013  320.49
NVIDIA GeForce Experience 1.8 NVIDIA Corporation 12/13/2013  1.8
NVIDIA Graphics Driver 320.49 NVIDIA Corporation 8/15/2013  320.49
NVIDIA HD Audio Driver 1.3.24.2 NVIDIA Corporation 8/15/2013  1.3.24.2
NVIDIA nView 136.53 NVIDIA Corporation 8/15/2013  136.53
NVIDIA PhysX System Software 9.13.0604 NVIDIA Corporation 8/15/2013  9.13.0604
NVIDIA Virtual Audio 1.2.12 NVIDIA Corporation 12/13/2013  1.2.12
QuickTime 7 Apple Inc. 2/26/2014 70.2 MB 7.75.80.95
Seagate Manager Installer Seagate 8/26/2013 47.8 MB 2.01.0600
Sony Preset Manager 2.0e Sony 6/19/2014 1.46 MB 2.0.88
Sony Sound Forge Audio Studio 9.0 Sony 6/19/2014 90.5 MB 9.0.232
TeamViewer 8 TeamViewer 8/10/2014  8.0.30992
VLC media player VideoLAN 10/11/2014  2.1.5
WinAce Archiver e-merge GmbH 5/5/2014  2.6
WinDirStat 1.1.2  9/9/2014  
Xilisoft FLV Converter Xilisoft 1/30/2014  7.7.3.20131014

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,614 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:30 AM

The adware came with the installers for the programs. That is what Eset has quarantined.

If you haven't updated Firefox and since you don't use it, do a complete clean uninstall of it. First run the uninstaller

from the Add/ Remove program. Then do a file search for Mozilla and Firefox and delete all that is found...especially the profile folder.

That will remove any hidden adware from Firefox and you can reinstall later if you want to.

Reset Google Chrome:

Google Chrome gives you the option to reset your browser settings in one easy click. In some cases, programs that you install can change your Chrome settings without your knowledge. You may see additional extensions and toolbars or a different search engine. Resetting your browser settings will reset the unwanted changes caused by installing other programs. However, your saved bookmarks and passwords will not be cleared or changed.

Reset your browser settings

1. In the top-right corner of the browser window, click the Chrome menu
  2. Select Settings.
  3. At the bottom, click Show advanced settings.
  4. Under the section "Reset settings,” click Reset settings.
  5. In the dialog that appears, click Reset.

If doing the above and MBAM doesn't find the cause of the problem, then you will need to start a new topic in

Virus, Trojan, Spyware, and Malware Removal Logs

Follow the instructions for creating a DDS log in #6 at Preparation Guide For Use Before Using Malware Removal Tools and Requesting Help

and post the DDS log in your new topic along with what the problem is.

Do not bump your new topic once it is posted.....wait for a response.

Edited by buddy215, 25 October 2014 - 05:32 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users