Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

PC not *quite* booting up normally (MBR issue, I think)

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Venek

Venek

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:32 AM

A while ago, as a way of researching and trying out new things, I installed Ubuntu on a second hard drive on my computer and made my PC dual-boot at start-up (GRUB2), choosing between the two OS's. Since then, I decided that while Ubuntu was certainly nice, I didn't really use it all that much and decided to get rid of it. So, I wiped my second hard drive clean and got rid of GRUB2. That seemed to do the trick, except that when booting up, the OS loading screen is *WAAAYYYY* slower and takes longer to kick in. It does, eventually, but it's driving me a little nuts that there's some kind of residual junk that's probably in the MBR or something that's causing this.

Question: is GRUB2 running off my motherboard or the hard drive? I ask because either today or tomorrow, I get my new hard drive to do a fresh install of Win7. If it's on the hard drive, then the problem is already solved. If it's NOT, however, and it's a problem that's on the motherboard, will clearing the CMOS and resetting BIOS do the trick? Does that bring BIOS back to its original factory version and I have to flash it again to the newest one?

Thanks a bunch.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 08:57 AM

did u edit the boot.ini file after formatting the drive ?

Edited by agent47v2.0, 23 October 2014 - 08:57 AM.

#3 Venek

Venek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 293 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:56 AM

did u edit the boot.ini file after formatting the drive ?

You meant BCD, right? In fact, I think I ran the repair AND rebuild, both to no avail.

What I really want to know is whether GRUB2 or the MBR is on the motherboard in BIOS or on the hard drive itself. I suppose I'll find out once I install my new hard drive and start installing the OS.

UberGeeks of the world...UNITE!

Uh guys? Wanna take your eyes off that screen for a second? Raise the mice? Battle cry?

#4 agent47v2.0

agent47v2.0

• Members
  • 18 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:10 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:04 AM

Chances are that it is in the hard drive .
Not sure.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users