Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cooling Advice Needed for First Gaming PC

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 bf825

bf825

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:51 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:36 AM

I've made the decision to move to PC gaming and am currently looking at a couple custom builds by Australian Based "HardWired PCs." Living in Sydney, this would be a logical choice of manufacturer for me and ive had friends recommend them as well.

So originally i was looking at their "Repear Junior" as it would fit well into my budget of around $2400 including peripherals. However, I really like their "Hush" model and this fits well into my budget as well. There are just a few things im uncertain about and would really appreciate it if someone could help me out.

There are a few requirements that I would need in my PC and these are:

• i7 cpu (preferably 4790k)
  • nvidia gpu for rendering with cuda cores
  • 16gb ram
  • and adequate cooling since my rendering will drive the system to probably 95%

Here's the "Hush" build i was thinking of:
case = NZXT H440
case fans = Corsair Airflow High Performance
cooling = Noctua NH-U12S multi-socket
cpu = intel i7 4790K 4.0Ghz quad core
mobo = Asus z97k
ram = corsair 16GB vengeance 1866Mhz DDR3
GPU = Nvidia Geforce GTX 970 4GB GDDR5
HDD = 1TB Caviar Black
PSU = corsair RM-750 750W silent 80 plus gold efficient
Wi-Fi = TP-Link TL-EDN4800 Wireless PCIE adaptor
OS = Windows 8.1 64 bit
Monitor = Asus VE248H 24 inch widescreen full HD 2ms LED monitor

And here are my questions:

1. The case used by Hardwired is potimised for silence and in doing so their is limited space for air to enter the case, for this reason i am worried that the airflow will not be adequate. IS this correct? Would it be fine with the Performance Fans rather than the stock fans? and What about the CPU cooler? How does that hold up?
  2. should i, or do i need to, spend a bit more on the motherboard? or is the current one adequate?
  3. What about the monitor? I dont want to spend to much on a monitor and 1080p is fine. Any alternatives you might suggest?
  4. The HDD I've chosen - is it adequate for gaming or is it more of a budget orientated hard drive that will cause load times to be painfully long

Again, any help is appreciated, and any other suggestions for parts or builds are welcome as well?
Thanks in advance for any help you can give
B

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 killerx525

killerx525

Bleepin' Aussie

• Members
  • 7,220 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:51 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 05:50 AM

1. That is true, that there will be less airflow entering the case although the fans that will be installed into the case will adequately bring enough airflow into case and realistically won't affect the temperatures as much. The CPU cooler itself will certainly keep down the heat without making too much noise.

2. The current motherboard is sufficient for the task at hand and the more you spend on a motherboard, the more bells and whistles you get which you may or may not use.

3. Asus monitors are typically good, i don't have much to say about the model chosen but it will work.

4. I personally have the WD Black drive and it certainly does load up games faster then a typical hard drive due to the drive's high performance design. 

>Michael 
System1: CPU- Intel Core i7-5820K @ 4.4GHz, CPU Cooler- Noctua NH-D14, RAM- G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Kit(4Gx4) DDR3 2133MHz, SSD/HDD- Samsung 850 EVO 250GB/Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB/Seagate Barracuada 3TB, GPU- 2x EVGA GTX980 Superclocked @1360/MHz1900MHz, Motherboard- Asus X99 Deluxe, Case- Custom Mac G5, PSU- EVGA P2-1000W, Soundcard- Realtek High Definition Audio, OS- Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit
Games: APB: Reloaded, Hours played: 3100+  System2: Late 2011 Macbook Pro 15inch   OFw63FY.png

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users