Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

A Complex situtation

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:06 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:32 AM

Hello fellow It people, i bring to you a confusing situation we have at our company.

I work for a radio station in phoenix, we bought 4 computers from a company that refurbishes pcs. They are ALL IDENTICAL well they have a couple differences

The ONAIR, PRODUCTION ROOM, and STREAMING pcs are IDENTICAL the ONLY difference is that the ONAIR has a larger hard drive and THAT IS THE ONLY difference.

all of the pcs in question have the following specs

DELL OPTIPLEX 745 MINI TOWER
Processor x86 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 2 GenuineIntel ~2126 Mhz
the machines all say Intel Core 2 Duo on them
4 GB RAM
160 GB HDD (SATA)
CD ROM
WIndows XP sp3 (Exact version is 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600)

All machines have the following BIOS version (BIOS Version/Date Dell Inc. 2.6.6, 6/26/2011)

we use XP on these machines because the sound hardware we run is professional sound cards that are run by PCI cards installed that run cables to breakout boxes to external devices, we use hardware by Echo Audio, Aardvark Sound, and M-Audio Sound.

Whenever we try to install the ECHO or ARDVARK into ANY of thesem achines the driver installs and as soon as it is accessed (a sound is played from it) we see the following thing happen to the machine, this happens on EVERY machine (makes sense since they are all identical) 

bsbos.jpg

the STRANGE thing is we have ANOTHER pc that we did not purchase from that company, it is an older dell as well, and when we install the echo, or aardvark on this machine it functions perfectly, for reference and comparison i have provided the specs from that machine as well, THERE IS SOMETHING that makes it work on this machine and not the other 3, the question i hope to answer is what that is , i welcome any conversation as our station is OFF AIR until we solve this mystery

the machine that all this hardware works on has the following specs

Dell Dimension B110
1 gb ram
WIndows XP sp3 (Exact version is 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600)
Intel Celeron D Processor
BIOS Version/Date Dell Computer Corporation A01, 1/3/2006
80gb hdd IDE
CD ROM

so t hats all for now, maybe its a bios thing i dont know and if thats it that would be awesome if we can somewhow put an older bios on i dont know, I DO know that these cards are not defective and work fine, so anyone at all out there that can see the issue please kindly comment here

We at the station thank you for your rapid response!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:06 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 09:05 AM

The optiplex sometimes have a sub-bios called intel AMT. See if Disabling it works.  In BIOS, Advance chipset Feature ->Intel AMT (Enabled,Disabled).

#3 ElfBane

ElfBane

• Members
  • 775 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:06 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:05 AM

Do the driver/driver suites seem to load properly?

Do the audio cards show up in Device Manager without fault icons?

Echo is still in business and has a website with driver suites and a FAQ. Go here... http://echoaudio.com/pages/windows-drivers . Go to the Support tab for some troubleshooting tips.

Aardvark, however, is out of business. No other company appears to have bought it. There is a fanboy site though,,, go here, http://michaelchagnon.com/aardvark/index.html . Also, this site has driver for Aardvark, though I don't know if they are actually "free", go here... http://members.driverguide.com/driver_search.php?q=Aardvark+sound&si=0092baae3fb30700c892966bb5db8dc3&st=1414060908&ref=www&gqm0=Aardvark+sound .

#4 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:50 PM

The optiplex sometimes have a sub-bios called intel AMT. See if Disabling it works.  In BIOS, Advance chipset Feature ->Intel AMT (Enabled,Disabled).

not an option on these machines!

#5 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:52 PM

Do the driver/driver suites seem to load properly?

Do the audio cards show up in Device Manager without fault icons?

Echo is still in business and has a website with driver suites and a FAQ. Go here... http://echoaudio.com/pages/windows-drivers . Go to the Support tab for some troubleshooting tips.

Aardvark, however, is out of business. No other company appears to have bought it. There is a fanboy site though,,, go here, http://michaelchagnon.com/aardvark/index.html . Also, this site has driver for Aardvark, though I don't know if they are actually "free", go here... http://members.driverguide.com/driver_search.php?q=Aardvark+sound&si=0092baae3fb30700c892966bb5db8dc3&st=1414060908&ref=www&gqm0=Aardvark+sound .

all good info yes the cards show up with no fault icons, the moment they are tried to accessed though the NMI error comes up, on reboot it happens about 30 seconds after the OS loads, which is probably when the driver loads into memory

it DOES not happen on safe mode, probably because the driver never loads

someone suggested this is a PCI card issue with these motherboards and in that case it will NEVER work!

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19604232/20689050#20689050

Edited by KFKGITdept, 24 October 2014 - 01:52 PM.

#6 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:22 PM

I don't know if it is your issue but a lot of people had to disable their internal NIC to get rid of that error. Interesting that one of the M-audio 5V card work but the other two do not.

Edit: My next question would be how you got a 5V card into a PCI 3.3V slot as the keys are on opposite ends of the slot.

Edit Edit: If this computer has PCI 2.3 which it would have to have because otherwise your 5V card would not fit then from what I have read, the cards are not supposed to be compatible but I did read a thread that even PCI 2.3 can accept a 5V signal so for some unknown reason your M-audio card works.

Attached Files

Edited by JohnC_21, 24 October 2014 - 03:44 PM.

#7 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:23 PM

I don't know if it is your issue but a lot of people had to disable their internal NIC to get rid of that error. Interesting that one of the M-audio 5V card work but the other two do not.

TRIED THAT, first thing, i was suspicious because on the 4th dell (the dimension where they all work) the internal nic is bad so we had an external card) i hoped that would be the fix but it was not

Edit: My next question would be how you got a 5V card into a PCI 3.3V slot as the keys are on opposite ends of the slot.

Edit Edit: If this computer has PCI 2.3 which it would have to have because otherwise your 5V card would not fit then from what I have read, the cards are not supposed to be compatible but I did read a thread that even PCI 2.3 can accept a 5V signal so for some unknown reason your M-audio card works.

I have no clue why the m-audio works but it works and works well, i was suspicious of the memory myself but a thorough test was done and (checking now)

nope after 1 pass i got a pass complete took about an hour to scan the 4 gb memory bank

DAMN, im thinking unless i missed something these cards are going to have to go to the garbage, someone mentioned something about a "root firmware update" being able to fix it, however i am not sure what they meant

Edited by KFKGITdept, 24 October 2014 - 04:23 PM.

#8 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:53 PM

I edited my post but looking at it again, if the Dell has a PCI 2.3 how could the audio card you have fit as the slot has the key on the opposite end of the 5.V slot or am I missing something.

#9 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 04:58 PM

I edited my post but looking at it again, if the Dell has a PCI 2.3 how could the audio card you have fit as the slot has the key on the opposite end of the 5.V slot or am I missing something.

john only the voltage changed apparently not the keyway itself

look at the thread in the dell forum i linked to, you can see our actual cards, they all LOOK the same, but apparently the M-Audio must be a different type

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/desktop/f/3514/p/19604232/20689050/

my cards are third post down, again they didnt explain WHY this was though dell has always been good at leaving stuff out!

#10 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:16 PM

Okay, I'm not a hardware guru but it looks like the PCI keyways even for v2.3 is on the back side. I was going to suggest a PCIe to PCI adapter like this but you would still be facing the same problem. Who knows, maybe this adapter would overcome the problem but I don't think I would risk it. Better to get a new sound card.

#11 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:19 PM

Okay, I'm not a hardware guru but it looks like the PCI keyways even for v2.3 is on the back side. I was going to suggest a PCIe to PCI adapter like this but you would still be facing the same problem. Who knows, maybe this adapter would overcome the problem but I don't think I would risk it. Better to get a new sound card.

yeah i thought od the adapter but the cards wont accept it, we are probably going to take the loss on the cards, get newish er ones and remember dell suck on anything thats not specific to its hardware specs

#12 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

Just a question if you use the Crtl+P key combo at boot do you get the Intel AMT screen?

#13 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:44 PM

just the dell logo with setup and boot options, there is an INTEL logo but not what you described

#14 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 21,635 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:48 PM

Okay, sorry I could not help more. I did a search on the error in your first post and it seems the error only relates to Dell computers.

#15 KFKGITdept

KFKGITdept
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 11 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 06:10 PM

Okay, sorry I could not help more. I did a search on the error in your first post and it seems the error only relates to Dell computers.

lol you did fine, why does that not surprise me lol

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users