How to open an elevated Command Prompt
<- shows several ways to do this
Where did you find those instructions? They are generally used to re-register Windows Update components...but I have seen them provided in this topic: Windows Defender is turned off or not working
What other security products do you have installed on this machine?
Did you check to make sure the Windows Defender service is running (enabled)?
These are instructions for restarting Windows Defender if it has been stopped...How to Start/Stop Windows Defender service
To start (enable) a service
, press the WINKEY + R
keys on the keyboard or click the Start Orb
and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
or press Enter
Note: You can also click the Start Orb
and in the Search Box
, type: services.msc
Windows Services will open:
- Click the Extended tab at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
- In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find the Windows Defender service.
- Double-click on the name of the service to open the Properties page.
- In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Start" button if it is stopped.
- From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Automatic".
- Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.