Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Regarding Windows Defender, what do these instructions mean ?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Claudis

Claudis

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:08 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:04 AM

I am very much a novice, but I am learning. I have a Windows 7 64 bit. Windows defender needs to be manully started. I found the following instructions.What does this statement mean, specifically " run each command in an elevated command prompt ? How do I do this ? Thank you. Claudis.

Re-register the following dll files and see if it helps you. Run each command in an elevated command prompt one after the other and hit Enter:

regsvr32 wuaueng.dll

regsvr32 wucltui.dll

regsvr32 softpub.dll

regsvr32 wintrust.dll

regsvr32 initpki.dll

regsvr32 wups.dll

regsvr32 wuweb.dll

regsvr32 atl.dll

regsvr32 mssip32.dll

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 SpywareDoc

SpywareDoc

• Members
  • 676 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:48 AM

In Windows 7, click the Start orb, type cmd then at the top of the list that comes up, right-click the "cmd.exe" and select "Run as administrator".

Edited by SpywareDoc, 23 October 2014 - 11:49 AM.

#3 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,588 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

How to open an elevated Command Prompt <- shows several ways to do this

Where did you find those instructions? They are generally used to re-register Windows Update components...but I have seen them provided in this topic: Windows Defender is turned off or not working

What other security products do you have installed on this machine?
Did you check to make sure the Windows Defender service is running (enabled)?

These are instructions for restarting Windows Defender if it has been stopped...How to Start/Stop Windows Defender service

To start (enable) a service, press the WINKEY + R keys on the keyboard or click the Start Orb > Run...,
and in the Open dialog box, type: services.msc
Click OK or press Enter.

Note: You can also click the Start Orb and in the Search Box, type: services.msc

Windows Services will open:
  • Click the Extended tab at the bottom to view all the info on your services.
  • In the Services applet, scroll down the list and find the Windows Defender service.
  • Double-click on the name of the service to open the Properties page.
  • In the Properties Window > General Tab that opens, click the "Start" button if it is stopped.
  • From the drop-down menu next to "Startup Type", click on "Automatic".
  • Click "Apply", then "OK" and close any open windows.

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

#4 Didier Stevens

Didier Stevens

• BC Advisor
  • 2,705 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:08 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

regsvr32 is a Windows command line utility to register COM/ActiveX objects.

You need to be administrator and use your administrative rights to register COM/ActiveX objects. That is why you need to elevate your command-line prompt (cmd.exe), at least if you use Windows Vista or later.

Didier Stevens
http://blog.DidierStevens.com
http://DidierStevensLabs.com

SANS ISC Senior Handler
Microsoft MVP 2011-2016 Consumer Security, Windows Insider MVP 2016-2019
MVP_Horizontal_BlueOnly.png

If you send me messages, per Bleeping Computer's Forum policy, I will not engage in a conversation, but try to answer your question in the relevant forum post. If you don't want this, don't send me messages.

Stevens' law: "As an online security discussion grows longer, the probability of a reference to BadUSB approaches 1.0"

#5 Claudis

Claudis
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:38 PM

I have Microsoft Security Essentials and Windows Defender.I have command prompt on the start up menu, that is the black screen with white letters. So what do I type on this screen after, C:\Users\Administrator>, Thank you. .

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users