Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

paying $15 a month to prevent computer problems

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Connertim

Connertim

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:38 PM

I'm tired of windows but have a relatively new unit so I pay HP smart friend $15 per month in order to keep the ugliness at bay.
Does your community find this totally unnecessary because I am concerned about problems that arise using windows.
Hundred and $180 a year is a lot of money to keep pop-ups etc from the inevitable invasion.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 JohnC_21

JohnC_21

• Members
  • 22,958 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

I don't know what other members on the forum think but personally I think it is a waste of money. Get a good antivirus program and do most of your internet browsing in a limited user account. Give the admin account a strong password. If you are browsing and see a UAC windows popup you know somthing is trying to change your system.

Edit: Use a browser like Chrome or Firefox with the following add-ons.

No-Script for Firefox or Scriptblock for Chrome

Adblock Plus for Firefox or Adguard for Chrome

Ghostery works for Firefox and Chrome

Edited by JohnC_21, 22 October 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#3 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 12,724 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:48 PM

I don't know what other members on the forum think but personally I think it is a waste of money.

I agree, It's a scam at best.

Popup blockers are free.

Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon :: Add-ons for Firefox

Edited by NickAu1, 22 October 2014 - 07:48 PM.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,230 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:56 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

Yeah, that is waaay too much. They should be providing cloud backup as well as antivirus for that price.

#5 Agouti

Agouti

• Members
  • 1,548 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:56 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:45 AM

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/407147/answers-to-common-security-questions-best-practices/?p=2316629

Common sense, Good Security Habits and safe surfing is essential to protecting yourself from malware infection. No amount of security software is going to defend against today's sophisticated malware writers for those who do not practice these principles and stay informed. Knowledge and the ability to use it is the best defensive tool anyone could have. This includes educating yourself as to the most common ways malware is contracted and spread as well as prevention.

Important Fact: It has been proven time and again that the user is a more substantial factor (weakest link) in security than the architecture of the operating system or installed protection software.

Education is the best way to protect yourself.

#6 hamluis

hamluis

• 55,406 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:56 PM

Posted 29 October 2014 - 10:52 AM

Late...but...all of the suggestions above are good...but it's important to note that users are their own worst enemies when it comes to computer routine maintenance and protection.  There's never any need to pay anyone to do that which you can do yourself.

Best thing that you can do is practice safe computing practices routinely...pay attention to error messages when they first appear...and not treat your computer system as if it's a TV set...it's much more complicated, it has moving parts, and there are misanthropic  personnel doing their best to make computer users miserable (by virtue of malware) so safe computing has to become a state of mind and actual practice.

Louis

EDIT:  I just removed 3 posts which have nothing at all to do with this topic...which contributed nothing to the topic at hand...which showed, IMO, disrespect for the normal rights of a member asking for help.  If either poster has any question about such...contact me via PM.

Edited by hamluis, 30 October 2014 - 11:51 AM.

#7 technonymous

technonymous

• Members
  • 2,474 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:56 PM

Posted 30 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

The 15 bucks a month to do clean up after the fact is not going to prevent anything when the hacker has stolen your passwords and cleaned out your bank account. Many internet providers offer a free retail quality security suite to their clients. So prevention goes a long ways, with that money you can invest in antivirus, and a backup solution etc where it really counts.

Edited by technonymous, 30 October 2014 - 01:46 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users