Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

email using domain name

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 copiman

copiman

• Members
  • 63 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:50 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:07 PM

I have a friend who has a domain name and a web site. They currently use Hot mail and Outlook for their email addresses. They want to standardize to email address using their domain name. For example, if an email address was me@hotmail.com or me@outlook.com, they want to use me@abc.com for all email addresses for employees. They have a peer to peer network. No servers. Their website is hosted by some company.

I know some about POP and SMTP, but that's about it. I'm looking for any guidance or direction on this to help them get standardize. My first guess is that their website folks would do it, but I just not sure.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:50 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 11:01 PM

Depends on who their domain registrar is. Many registrars offer POP and/or IMAP email services for those who purchase domains through them.

The other alternative is they can contract with Microsoft Office 365 or Google Apps for Business, register their domain with either service, and then place the user mailboxes in the cloud.

#3 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:50 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:56 AM

very helpful answer for me. What if an individual wanted to have a domain name? Does he/she still go to MS Office 365 etc?

#4 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 08:58 AM

sorry - forgot to 'follow this topic'. :blush:

#5 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:37 AM

With both Office 365 and Google Apps for Business, if you already have your own domain name, you can use it. You just need to follow the steps to verify that you own the domain in question; after that, you can use that domain name with either service. In both cases, you simply add the required TXT record to the DNS zone records and wait for the service to locate and verify the record.

However, you can't purchase domain names from either service. If you don't own a domain, you either have to use the default domain name provided by Office 365 or Google Apps, or purchase one from a domain registrar.

#6 Taffy_078

Taffy_078

• Members
  • 82 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 01:36 AM

thanks, sflatechgu7.  I haven't got a business domain name to "build upon" so I guess that's my next route. I'll also have to find a domain registrar in the UK who isn't bent.

I once used one of those, searched for the domain name that I had in mind and it came up in their search as 'not taken'. I applied to them and after a month reminded them. I then found that the name had just been taken - by them - and sold to a business. It was quite a slick name, too (imho) !

#7 sflatechguy

sflatechguy

• BC Advisor
  • 2,226 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 11:14 AM

I would recommend one of the more established registrars like eNom, Verisign, even GoDaddy.

The smaller "mom and pop" registrars often take longer to propagate your DNS zone records (it can take days with some) and offer less reliable customer service.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users