Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Google Earth closing after splash screen

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 06:26 PM

hello all, I've been having issues with Google Earth as of late.  It used to work just fine;  don't know when it quit working properly.  It will on occasion still work, but most of the time it just closes as soon as it opens.  This is happening on my laptop, here are specs:

i5 2430m/ 4gb ram/ Mint 17 xcfe/ kernel3.13.0-24-generic  I don't know how to get graphics info???

Thanks,

Scott

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 07:51 PM

I suggest you remove the old one and install the new version,

How to Install Google Earth 7 (or 6) in Ubuntu 14.10 64-bit

#3 snglnluvnit

snglnluvnit
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 187 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:36 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:16 PM

I think version 7.1.2.2041-r0 is installed (according to my knowledge of using the Synaptic Package Manager)  Should I remove and reinstall??

#4 NickAu

NickAu

Bleepin' Fish Doctor

• 13,561 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:36 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:11 PM

Try this first. I'm just guessing here, I think you have missing lib's( Files).

sudo apt-get install libfontconfig1:i386 libx11-6:i386 libxrender1:i386 libxext6:i386 libgl1-mesa-glx:i386 libglu1-mesa:i386 libglib2.0-0:i386 libsm6:i386

PS

Sorry for the late reply, Due to job life is hectic atm.

Edited by NickAu1, 23 October 2014 - 11:47 PM.

#5 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:36 AM

Posted 26 October 2014 - 02:37 AM

Does the current Google Earth need to be uninstalled before the Terminal line above is ran? 

Not that I use the app that often, but have noticed that it crashes right after opening. I tried it both ways, the 64 bit .deb installer & as suggested, by the Package Manager of Linux Mint. Neither makes a bit of difference. It worked fine on Linux Mint 13, it was when moving to Mint 16 I first noticed the issue, and haven't had any luck with 17, but on the other hand, I haven't beat the door down trying either, having bigger fish to fry. 

Would be great to have Google Earth on Linux Mint 17/Ubuntu 14.04 & their derivatives. Just may need directions to go somewhere, and not all has a non-Linux install to fall back on. For now, I do, but the future could change that. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users