Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Yanks Botched Patch Kb2949927, Re-Issues Kb2952664

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:29 PM

Windows 7 upgrade compatibility patch gets a tweaked installer, while the SHA-2 hashing patch is summarily removed without explanation...

Microsoft has pulled a patch -- KB 2949927, a patch so important it rated its own Security Advisory -- and there's no official notification that the patch was yanked, no explanation as to why it's been pulled, and no instructions for removing (or keeping) the patch if it did somehow get installed...

Microsoft yanks botched patch KB2949927, re-issues KB2952664
Significant problems with four more October 2014 Black Tuesday patches

Windows Insider MVP 2017-2018
Microsoft MVP Reconnect 2016
Microsoft MVP Consumer Security 2007-2015 kO7xOZh.gif
Member of UNITE, Unified Network of Instructors and Trusted Eliminators

If I have been helpful & you'd like to consider a donation, click 38WxTfO.gif

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:12 PM

That's the third month in a row... tut tut.

#3 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:26 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:22 PM

Well, I have both KB2949927 and KB2952664 installed. Had some trouble installing the KB2952664.

Now what are we suppose to do?

It is certainly getting harder and harder to contain my exasperation with MS and botched patches.

#4 TsVk!

TsVk!

penguin farmer

• Members
  • 6,236 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:26 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:31 PM

You can manually uninstall them from the command line using the wusa command, like this.

wusa /uninstall /KB:2952664

and

wusa /uninstall /KB:2949927

or you can dig through your "Programs and Features" menu (click view installed updates on the left) until you find them, then uninstall them from there.

Edit: or is there a patch released to remove them yet? I've not heard of it.

Edited by TsVk!, 22 October 2014 - 05:32 PM.

#5 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 05:51 PM

Screenshots in these articles:
How to Uninstall a Windows Update in Windows 7/8
How to Uninstall Windows Update from Console Level in Windows 7/8

#6 sikntired

sikntired

• Members
  • 1,071 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 06:32 AM

Thanks quietman7 and TsVk for your input. However I think I will wait to see if MS comes out with an official response as to whether these should be removed or kept if successfully installed. I haven't encountered any problems post-installation.

Thanks again,

#7 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 12:22 PM

I was quite right when i suggested a "pinned" thread should be made (in the suggestions section of this forum)for up to date warnings of this stuff on the day t happens. No-one can be sure these days which updates it might be more risky to install than take the risk of not installing.
Back on this site, for a while anyway, been so busy the last year.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#8 MrBruce1959

MrBruce1959

My cat Oreo

• BC Advisor
  • 6,377 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 11:00 AM

On My Windows 7 Home Premium Machine I have KB2952664 dated October 16 2014. I do not see any KB2949927 I am sure a lot of people are seeing the same but I didn't see any harm posting my situation.

Haven't had any issues with my computer either way though.

Bruce.

Welcome to Bleeping Computer! :welcome:
New Members: Please click here for the Bleeping Computer Forum Board Rules

My Career Involves 37 Years as an Electronics Repair Technician, to Which I am Currently Retired From.

I Am Currently Using Windows 10 Home Edition.

As a Volunteer Staff Member of Bleeping Computer, the Help That I Proudly Provide Here To Our BC Forum Board Membership is Free of Charge. :wink:

#9 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 05:49 PM

I had KB2949927 installed on two machines. I did not have any problems but removed anyway just like the last time an update was pulled. It was not offered as an update on a third machine which I purchased last week and applied all available updates.

#10 GaryG45

GaryG45

• Members
  • 27 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:15 AM

My Windows 7 Home Premium has KB2952664 installed on Sept 11 and Oct 20, so I assume the Oct 20 version is the re-issue. They must have pulled KB2949927 before I did the Oct updates because I don't see it.

#11 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 12:31 PM

Have there been any of these sort of issued with updates for windows 8 recenetly, especially regarding updates

KB 2975331

KB 2976978

KB 3000988

Or any issues with those updates attempting to force users to make the "upgrade" to 8.1?

Edited by rp88, 25 October 2014 - 12:31 PM.

My systems:2 laptops, intel i3 processors, windows 8.1 installed on the hard-drive and linux mint 17.3 MATE installed to USB

#12 quietman7

quietman7

Bleepin' Janitor

• Topic Starter

• Global Moderator
  • 51,762 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 03:57 PM

Microsoft pulls Windows 8.1 updates, which can cause blue screens of death, restart loops
Microsoft yanks botched Black Tuesday patches KB 2982791, KB 2970228, KB 2975719, and KB 2975331

#13 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 02:16 AM

rp88, the links by quiteman7 should answer your question in regards to KB2975331, KB2976978 has to do with the Windows Customer Experience Improvement Program and KB3000988 is a Windows 7 SP1 update, which according to my research is for that OS only. 

I still have one last Windows 8 OS installed & have been watching closely for any updates that looks like trickery that may silently download 8.1 & a reboot will install it against our will. Like I've stated before, unless MS gives us Windows 10 as compensation for what we've had to endure, 8.1 won't go on this Dell, and neither will 10, unless there's the clean install option. There was that option with Windows 8 & should be with 10, though if it isn't, that's OK, I can live w/out it. Have other OS's to run that's far more secure. 

Also, on that one install, I've been waiting 2-3 days before updating to see what others are saying. Not that I use it much anyway, don't really care for non-Pro (or Home) Windows versions. These are scaled down versions of the Pro & Enterprise OS's. 

I've had some issues with installing updates on my Windows 8.1 installs, but that's because I keep forgetting to disable the HIPS component of Emsisoft Online Armor during the update process. Once that's disabled, which requires a reboot, the updates installs fine. Then I can enable HIPS & reboot again, and hope that I remember the next month. 

Chances are, I'll forget again.  :P

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

#14 rp88

rp88

• Members
  • 3,060 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 12:55 PM

Has kb2975331 been fixed or something, becaue when i checked for updates on thrusday it was listed and it was one of those which i went and installed. It was first "detected as available" when i checked for updates in mid-october, so surely if it were botched it wouldn't be available this late after it's late august release date?

kb3000988 was certainly visible for me on windows 8, it installed fine.

kb2976978 i avoided, and if all it does is help their customer experience program (that is stuff like error reporting and sending other logs to them automatically isn't it) it doesn't sound so crucial.

I have now well and truly taken to giving a period of a few days from an update becoming available before i install it, though this time i have probably been waiting for too long and being a little TOO paranoid.

Edited by rp88, 31 October 2014 - 12:56 PM.

#15 cat1092

cat1092

Bleeping Cat

• BC Advisor
  • 7,018 posts
  •  

Posted 31 October 2014 - 11:59 PM

I'll have to check on the KB3000988 update next time I boot into Windows 8, as it had in the advisory it was for Windows 7 SP1. No mention of Windows 8. Though if it were wrong, it wouldn't be the first time. 

OK, I see now, it's a hotfix for several OS's that applies if KB2918614 is installed across a range of OS's, including Windows 8. Links for each OS is listed from the Microsoft Download Center, which will then show a link for KB3000988 that applies to the user's OS. 

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3000988

This is the article I based the findings in my earlier post on & why I felt it to be valid. Not a mention of any OS other than Windows 7 SP1. 

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=44527

I apologise for any inconvenience caused. 

Thanks for the heads up, rp88! :thumbup2:

On Windows 8 & 8.1, since I depend on neither OS, sometimes wait a week after the updates are released before applying. It was recently on one, that two months worth of updates were needed for one 8.1 Pro install, and this was about two weeks after the 2nd month worth were released. So that may help to describe how much I use these OS's, to be honest, it was all a $75 waste of my money. Tried to sell the licenses (which is perfectly legit, the EULA states they're transferable), plus the backup DVD's I paid extra for, all for $75, as I wouldn't by the terms of the EULA, be allowed to keep any of it. That's two Windows 8 Pro licenses, plus Genuine MS Windows 8 install media (32 & 64 bit), for $5 less than the initial promo price of $40 each. Oh, and the 64 bit Windows 8 DVD that I created during the install process, which was used for both installs, the backup media was bought as a collectors item only & the free bonus Media Center COA's, which are also transferable, but must be used with the same COA it was installed on prior. 

That's bad, when one cannot get rid of two Windows Pro OS's COA's, plus the brand new, unused media to install (or repair with) for $75. Speaks volumes of the OS. If it were Windows 7 Pro & only one license, it would sell, so long as the customer knew it was legit. 

Today, single legit copies of XP Pro that can be transferred from one computer to another will fetch at least that, if not more & so will Windows 2000 Professional. 

This goes beyond a botch of bad updates, the entire Windows 8 project must have been the product of a team of less than professional engineers. Must have been the same group who engineered Vista, it's worth is no more than Windows 8 at the moment, a little higher than normal because some whom downgraded to XP years back now wants a supported computer. 

It's best to wait at least a couple of days to ensure other users aren't reporting issues with the updates before installing. In the case of another computer being available, a week is better. That way, another update should be released to patch the bad one. 

Cat

Performing full disc images weekly and keeping important data off of the 'C' drive as generated can be the best defence against Malware/Ransomware attacks, as well as a wide range of other issues. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users