Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Serious Issues

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:52 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 03:43 PM

First of all, I'm going to say that I have no idea where this post should go or if a clever title to get you to look at this because I honestly have no clue what is going on our what to do.

I'm going to start from the beginning, because this computer has had problems since day 1.

My computer is a Dell Inspiron that was brand new as of Christmas 2012. It shipped with a broken USB and charger ports, so we sent it in for repairs (which cost me almost as much as the computer because Dell wouldn't honor the warranty). Several weeks later, I got it back and it worked beautifully. For a few months anyway. After a short time the hard drive failed and I ended up sitting on the computer for almost a year before I could afford to replace it. So I took it to a local shop and dropped $250+ on repairs. When I got it back, they sent the wrong charger, so my laptop now will not charge (they refuse to reimburse me or replace my current charge because "they don't make mistakes"). Here's where my current problems start. For about 3 days after I got it back, it worked okay. It was slow, wouldn't do most of what it easily did before the repairs, and they didn't reinstall the software for the mouse pad, but it still worked. After about 3 days, it started randomly powering off. Occasionally upon voting it will bring up a diagnostics page that tells me that the battery is not inserted into the laptop and that the processor fan is not running. If I try to use it for more than a few minutes, it gets extremely hot and will power down which is expected. However it still powers off/goes to sleep randomly even when it isn't overheating (which I try not to let it do).

It's running Windows 8 64 bit. If you need more info, you'll have to tell me how to find it.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Pir8King

Pir8King

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:52 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:20 PM

OK so your usb ports and harddrive are fine now, its only the mouse pad, battery, and overheating issue. Go to http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/Products/ and enter your computer model and they will provide you all of the drivers for that machine, just download and open the mouse pad driver (Also before you do this check your laptop for a physical button that disables the mouse pad, sometimes this button gets pressed by accident). If the laptop doesnt stay on without a power cord you may need a new battery, this could also be a cause for the intermittent shutdowns. If you have a new battery, and it is still giving you that message, then I have no idea what it could be, sounds like you have some bad circuitry or board. As for the overheating you must replace the fan or you will continue to have have shudowns. I can almost guarentee that the battery and/or heating issues are causing your shutdowns, solve those issues and you probably wont shut down anymore. That being said it may be wiser to just get a new machine rather then dealing with this headache and sinking more $$ into a lost cause.

Also just a random thought: your time frame for purchase matches up with the release of the first build of windows 8, just make sure your Windows is up to date.

#3 Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 22 October 2014 - 08:54 PM

I don't know the model other than Inspiron. There's no stickers or anything on it that tell. Also, the battery should be fine. The charger isn't the right voltage which doesn't allow it to charge properly.

#4 Chris Cosgrove

Chris Cosgrove

• 7,202 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:52 PM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:21 PM

You can find the model by turning it upside down and looking at the compliance panel. You should have a little box full of text. Apart from certifying it complies with standards from Tupalo to Timbuktu you should find the model and serial number listed in this box. At least every laptop I have ever looked at has such a box. You should also find data listing the required supply from your charger unit. Most chargers output between 18.5 and 19.5 V. So long as yours is within this range it should charge the battery OK.

Pir8King does have a point. Yes this laptop is not quite two years old, but you do seem to have a bad one on your hands. Considering writing this one off to experience might not be too bad an idea.

Chris Cosgrove

#5 Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:48 PM

The only information printed anywhere is on the battery itself. It says 48Wh/11.1v, while the charger says V85.

#6 Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 04:50 PM

Pir8King does have a point. Yes this laptop is not quite two years old, but you do seem to have a bad one on your hands. Considering writing this one off to experience might not be too bad an idea.

Maybe not, if I could afford a new laptop, but I can't, which is why I had this one repaired.

#7 Musta-Eyolf-Pedes

Musta-Eyolf-Pedes
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 07:50 PM

New symptom.

When I try to boot up, my laptop now goes to a black screen that says:

**** Manufacturing Mode: Level [01] ****
Press Fn-X to return the system to normal running mode.

However it only stays here for a period of time too short to actually read or respond to it before going into its normal startup process.

Edited by Musta-Eyolf-Pedes, 23 October 2014 - 07:52 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users