Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer is ate up need to system wipe

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:08 AM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 02:43 PM

Not sure if im posting in the right area but I think I have to restore my computer. My laptop screen is cracked and not working tho so when I go to safe start it wont show up on my tv (its connected by a hdmi cable). DEfender wont start, there are a lot of users on my security options, sometimes applications will be open that I didnt open. I dont know where to start diagnosing or fixing. I tried to do it myself but i think I just made it worse. also my task bar and peek options (im running windows 8) will turn off as well as my desktop

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 Pir8King

Pir8King

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:08 PM

Posted 22 October 2014 - 04:35 PM

Here you go.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/restore-refresh-reset-pc

Worst case scenario you pull off your important data and do a fresh reload of Windows, just be careful because if you copy malicious files into your new system then you will have the same issues. If you need to scan files to check for malicious code then use this site: www.virustotal.com.

Let me know if I can help further. Cheers!

#3 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:08 AM

Posted 23 October 2014 - 10:30 AM

What is the make and model of this laptop?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#4 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 23 October 2014 - 11:24 PM

HP 2000 Notebook PC operating system Windows 8.1 64-bit. If it is decided that rebooting my computer is the way to go the issue is that with my broken screen i have to project onto my tv via an hdmi cable. When I start the process i cant see any prompts or instructions. I just want my computer and my information to be secure and dont know what to do

#5 kaylagarcia

kaylagarcia

• Members
  • 26 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:38 PM

Posted 24 October 2014 - 01:32 AM

Reboot your system and format your system drive

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  

Posted 24 October 2014 - 09:01 AM

In your first post you stated "when I go to safe start".  I'm guessing that you meant Safe Mode.  If this is the case you need to be aware that with Windows 8 the F8 method of booting into Safe Mode is no longer available due to the fact that Windows 8 boot too fast to be able to access Safe Mode in that manner.  You can set the computer so that it will boot into Safe Mode after it is restarted.

To recover your data from the hdd you can use an external hdd enclosure which attaches via a USB port.  You can purchase one from Newegg for $9.99 plus tax, shipping is free.  Once you have the hdd connected to another computer you can open the hdd in Computer.  You can simply right click on the file you want to save, move the pointer down to Send to and send this data to a flash drive.

Do not format your hdd, you will lose all of the information on it.

If your TV is set to be used with your computer connect the two via the HDMI cable and do the following.

Start the notebook and leave it long enough to ensure Windows has fully loaded.  

If your account is password protected, turn on the notebook, leave it for a few minutes, then type in your password and hit enter.  Leave it for another 5 minutes, connect the VGA cable between your external monitor and your notebook.  

Now hold down the fn button and press f4 once.  Tap the right arrow three times and then hit enter to see if this will transfer the display.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:11 AM

Ok so somehow I turned Defender on! After updating defender I ran a full scan and it came back with nada.... Just being clear I can never see anything on my laptop screen, I see my display on my tv which is hooked up via hdmi. Ur saying that when I reboot into safe mode, I should be able to see whats going on via my tv? The fn f4 trick didn't do anything. I can toggle projection methods with the display key and P so That is not an issue. Something really wierd did just happen though. I restarted my computer and when I used my pin to log in I could not see anything but black and my mouse. IF I hit the windows display + P I could toggle through the projection options though they were not displayed. I could not bring up any program or menu. I hit ctrl+alt+del and logged off and signed in with my Microsoft live account and everything came up as usual but everything is bigger.  My computer is also complaining about disk drive D: running out of memory. I went to view what was in there and its just one file labeled 'recovery'. Also when I enter the folder D: I lose all my drop down menus that are normally at the top of the window (View, File, Options, etc). I dont know what Im doin here guys just providing information! U said there is a way I can go to safe mode with out restarting?  Please! What is it?!

#8 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:23 AM

I just realized as well that I cannot get task manager to open, or change permissions (I dont have access to control editor apparently), My passwords are changing now as well!!! I cant access a number of security Applications. PLease help someone! It was sad enough when my screen broke!

#9 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 05:30 AM

Oh and my recovery drive is at 19.1 gigs with 32 mb not used

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  

Posted 25 October 2014 - 08:47 AM

Here are the instructions to set the computer to start in Safe Mode.

If you can set this up choose Safe Mode with Networking,  this way you will be able to download programs.

How to boot into Safe Mode in Windows 8 or 8.1

You will need to sign in to your PC with a user account that has administrator rights.

1.  Swipe in from the right edge of the screen, click or tap Settings, and then click or tap Change PC Settings.

2.  Under PC settings, tap or click General.

3.  Under Advanced startup, tap or click Restart now.

4.  On the Choose an option screen, tap or click Troubleshoot, then Advanced Options.

5.  Tap or click Startup Settings.

6.  Tap or click Restart.

7.  On the Startup Settings screen, choose Safe Mode, Safe Mode with Networking, or Safe Mode with Command Prompt.

Edited by dc3, 25 October 2014 - 08:49 AM.

#11 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:19 AM

I cant see anything as soon as I go to safe mode! Also ownership of files keeps changing how can I stop that as well?

#12 Jeffwj12

Jeffwj12
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 9 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 06:20 AM

Can no longer update windows either... Can I use remote desktop to wipe my computer?

#13 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,027 posts
  •  

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:42 AM

How did the display get cracked?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users